I'll say it outright. What do I do to speed up fat loss

Options
Hello again.

I am doing calories in and out and weight loss is consistent so far but I'm learning that I can speed up fat loss too? Is that just nonsense or fact?

Any special exercise or routine that targets fat loss?
I'm at 25% BF (ok its wrong) but what's reasonable to get at in 10 weeks?

Possible to get that to 12% or so?
Or all I can do is lose weight and continue to lift heavy and fat will go down with it?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    viren19890 wrote: »
    Or all I can do is lose weight and continue to lift heavy and fat will go down with it?

^ Yes that
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Where are you learning that you can speed up fat loss? Is it from a credible source?
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

^ Yes that

Pretty much, and make sure you are getting adequate protein as well.
  • viren19890
    viren19890 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Where are you learning that you can speed up fat loss? Is it from a credible source?

YouTube
    HIIT workout?

The problem I see with this is that if I'm losing weight, muscle is being lost too and so is fat. So if muscle and fat both going down how the heck am I benefitting? Ergo speeding up fat loss to retain some semblance of muscle lol

Is there a certain formula which can be used to identify how much muscle /fat my body would retain under any circumstances? As in regardless of how much weight I lose body will always maintain so and so percent of muscle and fat on it before it gets ill?
  • viren19890
    Options
    Btw I'm 5'10 and 222lbs as of today and BF is 25.5% which is wrong but I'm using it as a way to measure trend.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    I read this AM that one can supposedly lose an extra half pound per week with HIIT but the article doesn't address your concern about also losing muscle mass. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-lose-an-extra-half-pound-a-week/
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Hello again.

I am doing calories in and out and weight loss is consistent so far but I'm learning that I can speed up fat loss too? Is that just nonsense or fact?

No, you wont go from 25% to 12% in 10 weeks...no matter what you do.
  • viren19890
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I read this AM that one can supposedly lose an extra half pound per week with HIIT but the article doesn't address your concern about also losing muscle mass. https://blog.myfitnesspal.com/how-to-lose-an-extra-half-pound-a-week/

Thanks for the article.

I have read about a comparison between both online. People say that LISS is better because even though after burn effect is around 7% it'll still be more than what 20-30 mins of HIIT will achieve cuz at a steady state for 60 min you can burn like 500-600 Cals compares to 250-300 with HIIT and 7% of 500-600 is more than 14%.of 250-300

Now it could simply be a ploy to sell that authors book but it looked like a good point.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Btw I'm 5'10 and 222lbs as of today and BF is 25.5% which is wrong but I'm using it as a way to measure trend.

If the BF% is right (depends where it's from), you have roughly 56.6 lbs of fat and 165.4 lb of lean mass.

You would have 12% at 182 with 160 lb lean mass and 22 lb fat. That would be a loss of about 34.5 lb of fat, with only about 5.5 lb LBM lost (or 13% of the total loss, which is pretty low) for a total loss of 40 lb.

So no, can't do that in 10 weeks. Trying to would be a way to lose a lot more muscle than you mean to (and so not be 12% anyway).
  • viren19890
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    Hello again.

I see. I've seen people do it on bodybuilding website do it and post about it. Was done naturally with calories in and out and with workout. Maybe genetics?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Hello again.

I see. I've seen people do it on bodybuilding website do it and post about it. Was done naturally with calories in and out and with workout. Maybe genetics?

More like "maybe steroids?".
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Hello again.

There are people who, on purpose, will carb up and get super bloated with a lot of water weight in order to drop it quickly and win weight loss contests/challenges. It is possible that is what you have seen.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    The problem I see with this is that if I'm losing weight, muscle is being lost too and so is fat. So if muscle and fat both going down how the heck am I benefitting? Ergo speeding up fat loss to retain some semblance of muscle lol
    You're not really asking if there is something you can do to speed up fat loss; you're asking if there is something you can do to lose as high a percentage of fat as possible when compared to muscle. There is: eat adequate protein and do progressive resistance training (typically, weight lifting).
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hello again.

If I may ask, is there a particular reason to try to speed it up to such a rapid pace? If you've been doing CICO and weight loss is consistent, why not continue doing what works at a reasonable, healthy pace? It wasn't put on quickly, so it isn't going to come off quickly, either.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Hello again.

More like "maybe steroids?".

:D that was funny!

• courtmarrow
    courtmarrow Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Typically speaking your body will not build muscle and burn fat simultaneously. Thas why bodybuilders go through cuts/bulks. When you're bulking you're eating a caloric surplus + lifting heavy and often. It enables you to build muscle mass but also causes you to gain fat. Which is why you then cut by going into a caloric deficit, which causes you to lose fat (and maybe a little of the muscle you just bulked to build). Sorry, it's not a fast process in the least
  • viren19890
    Options
    Hello again.

If I may ask, is there a particular reason to try to speed it up to such a rapid pace? If you've been doing CICO and weight loss is consistent, why not continue doing what works at a reasonable, healthy pace? It wasn't put on quickly, so it isn't going to come off quickly, either.
    Cuz I feel like maybe I'm missing something and getting lazy instead of putting in my 100% I'm just being lazy and going slow where it can be done better and more efficiently. On that website bodybuilding I've seen people drop from 20% BF to 6% in span of 12 weeks, it can't be that they just lied about it outright.
    Typically speaking your body will not build muscle and burn fat simultaneously. Thas why bodybuilders go through cuts/bulks. When you're bulking you're eating a caloric surplus + lifting heavy and often. It enables you to build muscle mass but also causes you to gain fat. Which is why you then cut by going into a caloric deficit, which causes you to lose fat (and maybe a little of the muscle you just bulked to build). Sorry, it's not a fast process in the least

It's just a bit too much to take in when every damn video talks about how to burn fat and. Ake muscle at the same time. I guess everyone is in to make money. No wonder this is such a vast industry and yet we still have obesity epidemic in North America.

I'm so glad and grateful that there are people like you guys here to give out honest opinion.