Do you miss fast food?

Options
124»

Replies

• JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Dying for some taco bell today..not gonna lie

Me too but there's no way I could eat just two tacos or something similar.

Even if all i had was a quesadilla..there's no way it'd fill me up, and I'd only have 900 calories left for the entire rest of my day....3 minuets of cheesey goodness is not worth that hangry feeling that comes later.
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I think of fast foods, eg McDonalds, KFC, as being 'desperation food' ..... if you are on the motorway, haven't eaten for 6 hours and have a long journey ahead of you it's a good option...ordinarily no, I don't miss fast food.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I miss it, though I still make burgers (smaller, ground sirloin), fries (baked), or pizza (smaller, less cheese) and other comfort food type items in more calorie-accepting ways. However, I still miss stuff like a big Fuddruckers burger and fries. The "traditional" fast food places (McDonald's, BK, KFC) I don't really miss because the quality wasn't as good.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I don't miss it... but then again I still eat it. I did today (that 2 for $2 McD's deal) but what I do is I get it to-go so I don't waste anymore money and I don't get tempted to get anything else. I stick to what I choose and leave. Oh and when I decide to go there, I only carry a limited amount of cash so I can't buy anymore food anyways.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I eat it once a week or once a month. It isn't better food than I can make myself. It is expensive. I don't obsess over it.
    I plan my order in advance and that is it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    Options
    I definitely do! I think the same way in terms of portions. Like, pizza, for instance. I could maybe squeeze in 2 slices but I've never been able to eat just 2 slices of pizza and feel satisfied. So...for the time being I've just avoided things that I know I have no self control with. Hopefully as my journey progresses I'll be able to have a healthier grasp on those foods.

Ya, with mental difficulty and large salads I've gotten down to three slices of pizza from four. I can't imagine just having two slices.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I never really was given fast food as a child and didn't even taste Taco Bell until I was 25 and pregnant (bad idea) because my ex husband had a craving. That being said, I've had a few items here and there and would eat them if I loved them. I would probably miss Taco Bell or McDonald's if I didn't make tacos or burgers and fries at home (I think mine are so much better and filling for the calorie difference). The one item I do miss is fried chicken wings. We fry them at home occasionally - usually bake - and my husband is a seasoning/sauce master, I swear, but it's just the same as getting our local Chinese "buffalo" (sriracha and maybe honey and other flavors) wings or wing places where we can choose from 100 flavors, so I get it. The thing is some things are easy to replicate at home. The trick is taking the dish apart and swapping for lower calorie options that don't compromise the flavor. Do I care if my burrito wrap is 250 calories or 80 calories of the filling tastes the same? Hell no! I'll swap. Low fat ground beef mixed with finely chopped mushroom gives it that moistness, zero weird flavor, and so many fewer calories. And so on. As long as the flavor matches what I want and my calorie content I don't need it to come from a fast food place.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My husband brought home an angry whopper for me from Burger King today. I didn't know he was going to do that, but I just rearranged my dinner and fit it into my day. It was also really good. I don't think I'd ever want to give up fast food. I don't eat it every day, but once or twice a week is good for me.
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you will say no because you eat it now and fit it into your daily calorie goal. I could do that but I can't eat the amount of it I want to eat and struggle with portion control. I look forward to it and struggle with not eating it.

If you have given it up or eat a lot less, do you miss it?

Well no but here is the funny part. I didn't stop fast food for the health of it. I stopped because I would rather go to the all you can eat buffet's and get all the crap i wanted for CHEAPER!! LOL. (That may very well be one of the reasons i'm on this site trying to lose 100 more pounds!)
    Fast food is a total ripoff and mostly it isn't even fast. I now go to the same all you can eat buffet but I choose wisely the foods I select, like a salad and steamed broccoli, the broiled salmon and things like that that i can do the math for and portion control. I can grab a to go plate of way healthier food, just as fast or even faster, and pay less for it..... just sayen!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,989 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of you will say no because you eat it now and fit it into your daily calorie goal. I could do that but I can't eat the amount of it I want to eat and struggle with portion control. I look forward to it and struggle with not eating it.

If you have given it up or eat a lot less, do you miss it?

Nope.

I can hardly remember the last time I went to a fast food place (aside from Subway ... I go to Subway about once a week). It might have been last June on holiday.

I'd rather eat good food. If we're going to go out, we'll go to a proper restaurant.

• Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    You only miss things if you think you are depriving yourself from "good things"

If we educate ourselves enough, and neutrally programme our brains to avoid what hurts and kills. we will never miss the killer.

Education based on proof. then practice practice practice till it becomes a habit. You, then, never look back

EXCELLENT!!!!!
  • AlphaCajun
    AlphaCajun Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no. I used to be a fast food junkie too.. Luckily, I've kicked that habit!
  • soulofgrace
    soulofgrace Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I ate much more fast food when I was younger. I pretty much lost the taste for it around 15 years ago, but up to the point that I started MFP I still ate it around once every couple weeks. Now whenever I have it, it usually doesn't taste as good as I expect....except that time a couple weeks ago when I had an order of onion rings and a half milk shake. It was delicious!! However I just don't want and can't eat as much as before.

Anyway, my point is that you should remember that, as you make these dietary changes, everything will change. Nothing is static. If you feel you can't fit a fast food meal in right now without wanting to binge, just wait a while. You might get to a point where it still tastes delicious but you feel like a reasonable size portion is enough. Just take things day by day. Thinking longingly about any food, as if you can never again have this thing you enjoy, can wreck havoc on your motivation.

Hang in there!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I do find, the fried chicken from the local fried chicken shop, tastes like the nectar of the Gods, after consuming several (or more) adult beverages in the local pub..............
  • samchez0
    samchez0 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I miss the convenience of it. Although I still probably eat it more than I should.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I still eat fast food. I carefully look at the nutrition facts before I go out because some foods are shockingly high in calories. I usually order from the value menu. Sometimes I tell myself I'm going to splurge and order whatever I want but I just can't bring myself to eat a 1200 calorie meal. I've been satisfied over the past year practicing portion control.

I do have an unfortunate addiction to subway because of those goddamn delicious cookies. I probably go once a week. For my weight loss it's been totally fine but not for my budget.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about picking up a McDouble and mozzarella sticks this Friday. I miss Carls Jrs but there's not one near me. :disappointed:
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    I don't eat it as much, but when I really want it, I'll partake in one item off the menu. I really need to reign in the sodium for BP reasons. But...Mmm, I had a Carl's Jr. last week (it was divine) and a Subway (not as divine, sort of ate what was there and didn't make a wise choice). And followed it with piles of water to help flush that salt out (sorry/not sorry to my Dr.).
  • TheChrissyT
    TheChrissyT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I still have taco bell once in a blue moon, but I don't miss the rest. Now when I've been in situations where I'd be the outsider if I didn't, and I chose to join in, I just felt like it was really heavy and super salty. I watched this thing on "meat glue" that helped lol