Anyone listen to audio books?

Options
I need a new title. I only allow myself to listen to new books when actively exercising... it helps motivate me to get to the gym or go for a run.

Anyone have a reccomendation that they really enjoyed? I love books and will listen to any genre!

Replies

• Daveygirl1
    Daveygirl1 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I listen while I drive.. So not sure if they will work for you. But... I liked Girl On A Train, Gone Girl, The Maze Runner, Replay, Flash Forward, The First 15 Lives of Harry. I also heard The Fold, The Girl With All The Gifts and Pretty Girls - All three were pretty darn disturbing.
  • KatEmmaMarie
    KatEmmaMarie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Might I ask how you go about listening to Audio books? I would love to start listening to them while running but they're SOOOO expensive! I used the audible app trial (where you got a free book download) and after the trial was over and I saw how much most books were ($32+) I was shocked!

Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series are really good (The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol, and Inferno). My husband says his other books are also really good but I've never read them.
    I'm currently engrossed in the Harry Potter world and although I don't listen to audio books, I feel like Harry Potter would be a good series for working out.

I second the previous poster about Gone Girl, that was a really good (and disturbing) book.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones on HBO) series always got me motivated and pumped for working out (I can read while using the elliptical)

The Hunger games Trilogy is another good one.
  • laurfaiers
    laurfaiers Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I love listening to audiobooks while working out. Currently I've got Lev Grossman's The Magicians on the go, and then plan on listening to Anthony Doerr's All the Lights We Cannot See.
  • fergie1203
    fergie1203 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Might I ask how you go about listening to Audio books? I would love to start listening to them while running but they're SOOOO expensive! I used the audible app trial (where you got a free book download) and after the trial was over and I saw how much most books were ($32+) I was shocked!

Dan Brown's Robert Langdon series are really good (The DaVinci Code, Angels and Demons, The Lost Symbol, and Inferno). My husband says his other books are also really good but I've never read them.
    I'm currently engrossed in the Harry Potter world and although I don't listen to audio books, I feel like Harry Potter would be a good series for working out.

I second the previous poster about Gone Girl, that was a really good (and disturbing) book.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones on HBO) series always got me motivated and pumped for working out (I can read while using the elliptical)

Hi I use audible and pay the monthly fee. Then I go on standard amazon and find the most expensive books I can and use my credit for them. So far I am saving a fortune every month!
  • fergie1203
    fergie1203 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm listening to Cuckoos Calling by Robert Galbraith aka JK rowling. I listen in the car and LOVE it. I keep toying with the girl on the train but hear mixed reviews... might give that a go next time
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

I have an audible subscription. $14.99 a month for 1 book. Not great, not horrible.

• mkakids
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!

I couldnt get into the girl on the train. I ended up returning it through audible since i couldnt finish it.
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    I like Girl on a Train too. Dark Places (same author of gone girl) by Gillian Flynn is also good.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I do. I use Audible, and the library.

I loved Girl on the Train. Definitely.

I also REALLY love Roberth Galbraith (AKA J.K. Rowling)'s mysteries.

http://robert-galbraith.com
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    fergie1203 wrote: »
    Hi I'm listening to Cuckoos Calling by Robert Galbraith aka JK rowling. I listen in the car and LOVE it. I keep toying with the girl on the train but hear mixed reviews... might give that a go next time

Cuckoos calling was SO SO good. I also liked the follow up, and have just downloaded the third.

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

I couldnt get into the girl on the train. I ended up returning it through audible since i couldnt finish it.

Blah, same here. I second the Robert Galbraith books, tho, which are solid. Also, if you like mysteries I Love Tana French, especially The Likeness. I think I wanted girl on the train to be like Tana French and it just...wasn't. I liked Jim Butchers Dresden Files series for running, and am currently listening to Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter's Long Earth series. I do a lot of sci fi or fantasy. I've been on an Octavia Butler and Asimov kick lately, but I have a hard time with them in audiobook form, at least while running.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Blah, same here. I second the Robert Galbraith books, tho, which are solid. Also, if you like mysteries I Love Tana French, especially The Likeness. I think I wanted girl on the train to be like Tana French and it just...wasn't. I liked Jim Butchers Dresden Files series for running, and am currently listening to Terry Pratchett and Steven Baxter's Long Earth series. I do a lot of sci fi or fantasy. I've been on an Octavia Butler and Asimov kick lately, but I have a hard time with them in audiobook form, at least while running.

+1 for Tana French! Especially the first few.

I do love that Audible lets you return things!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Agree, I did not love the Secret Place as much as I wanted to. I didn't feel like I could connect to characters or events in the same way as her other books.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I listen to the same stuff I would read in hard or e-copy books. I would often losten to stuff I have already read a while back.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Agree, I did not love the Secret Place as much as I wanted to. I didn't feel like us could connect to characters or events in the same way.

I haven't even finished that one.

I also like Susan Hill's Simon Serrailler books. http://www.susanhill.org.uk

And all things Darynda Jones http://www.daryndajones.com but start with the first one! (First Grave on the Right)
  • mkakids
    Options
    And all things Darynda Jones http://www.daryndajones.com but start with the first one! (First Grave on the Right)

I actually have the first two. I enjoyed #1. #2 was kinda repetative and predictable. It nade me hesitant to try #3.

If you like her...try the Janet evanovich series...start with One for the Money.
  • mylukeyboy
    mylukeyboy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bossy Pants, Tina Fey's autobiography was really entertaining on audiobook. I'll have to look into audible. I'd never heard of it before. Thanks!
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Absolutely LOVED the Sara Donati series "Into the Wilderness". Read the books a couple of years ago and recently listened them on Audible.com. I'm jonesing for her next series it was so good. If you like that, try Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" series.
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Books books & more books :)
  • Hilltopper1997
    Hilltopper1997 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You might also checkout podcasts. Serial first season is awesome, hours of entertainment with this American life, fresh air is also great.

I listen to audio books as well though both through my library and Audible. Loved ready player one and my son and I liked a book called the ables as well as the steelheart series. The Galbraith books are awesome. I will check out some of the above as well.