Anyone listen to audio books?

Options

Replies

• ModernRock
    ModernRock Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Try your local library. Our library has tons of audio books and many of them are MP3 players dedicated to a particular book. No more damaged CDs. You just have to insert a battery and headphones.

• DebbieCoupal
    DebbieCoupal Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Your local library probably had a large selection of audio books available. If you like mysteries, try authors Harlan Coben, Carl Hiassen (funny too), John Sandford's Lucas Davenport series, Jo Nesbo. I also recommend Tana French.

Podcasts are what I listen to alot and many are free. Any from the How Stuff Works group are probably a good start; I started with Stuff You Should Know.
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ooo coben & nesbo r in my personal library!
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I listen to loads of audiobooks and Podcasts.

But I listen to audiobooks FREE through the overdrive app. Through your library. You need a library card, but I always have something to listen to. Sometimes you need to place a hold on a popular book. Did I mention FREE?
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    And I love Stuff You Should Know ;) I listen to photigraphy podcasts, motivational and history and Serial. Doesn't everyone?

For books I'm mostly historical non-fiction and sometimes fiction.
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Did I mention you can listen to audiobooks free through your library on the overdrive app ;)

Libravox also has free recordings of books in the public domain. Usually poor quality but some aren't bad.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options

But I listen to audiobooks FREE through the overdrive app. Through your library. You need a library card, but I always have something to listen to. Sometimes you need to place a hold on a popular book. Did I mention FREE?

Ive used over drive before, and checked out mp3 books from the library.....but i forgot about overdrive until now! I had a super crappy phone until about a month ago and overdrive wouldnt work on it....ill check it out now that im out of the technological stone age! Thanks for the reminder!
  • doosalily15
    doosalily15 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Bookworms add me
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Seamus Heaney's reading of "Beowulf". This is an incredible story that's meant to be listened to, not read. His voice is mesmerizing and the story really comes to life.
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I love the library!!!!! It's free!!!!!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    And all things Darynda Jones http://www.daryndajones.com but start with the first one! (First Grave on the Right)

I actually have the first two. I enjoyed #1. #2 was kinda repetative and predictable. It nade me hesitant to try #3.

If you like her...try the Janet evanovich series...start with One for the Money.

Oh cool, thanks!
  • errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love audio books!!! Loving all the recomendations.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    And all things Darynda Jones http://www.daryndajones.com but start with the first one! (First Grave on the Right)

I actually have the first two. I enjoyed #1. #2 was kinda repetative and predictable. It nade me hesitant to try #3.

If you like her...try the Janet evanovich series...start with One for the Money.

Oh cool, thanks!

Darynda Jones has actually said that Charlie is based off of a mix of stephanie plum from tge evanovich series and buffy the vampire slayer, lol @Sabine_Stroehm
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Oh cool, thanks!

Darynda Jones has actually said that Charlie is based off of a mix of stephanie plum from tge evanovich series and buffy the vampire slayer, lol @Sabine_Stroehm

Love it!
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    I'm a big fan of historical fiction and non-fiction. If you need audiobook recommendations. ;)

The Night Circus audio is awesome. Same reader as the Harry Potter audiobooks.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Another +1 for Overdrive & free audiobooks through the library.
    Also free kindle books.
    I listen at work. It's too loud in the gym, and if I'm outside I want to be able to pay attention to what's happening.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    by Vicki Myron

Homer's Odyssey
    A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat

by Gwen Cooper

A couple books I've found particularly moving were:

Measure of a Man: From Auschwitz Survivor to President's Tailor
    Martin Greenfield
    About how Greenfield survived the Nazis, came to the USA, and worked his way up.
    A true American Dream sort of story.

Unbroken
    Laura Hillenbrand
    About Louis Zamperini, who went from being an Olympic runner to Air Force member to Japanese POW, and the
    horrible conditions the POWs survived.

I've also listened to various murder mysteries, John Grisham novels, etc.

I have this on my wish list:
    The Sisters Who Would be Queen
    Mary, Katherine, and Lady Jane Grey: A Tudor Tragedy
    by Leanda de Lisle

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I need a new title. I only allow myself to listen to new books when actively exercising... it helps motivate me to get to the gym or go for a run.

Anyone have a reccomendation that they really enjoyed? I love books and will listen to any genre!

I just finished "The Wright Brothers" by David McCullough. Excellent!
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Another +1 for Overdrive & free audiobooks through the library.
    Also free kindle books.
    I listen at work. It's too loud in the gym, and if I'm outside I want to be able to pay attention to what's happening.

Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    by Vicki Myron

Homer's Odyssey
    A Fearless Feline Tale, or How I Learned About Love and Life with a Blind Wonder Cat

by Gwen Cooper

A couple books I've found particularly moving were:

Measure of a Man: From Auschwitz Survivor to President's Tailor
    Martin Greenfield
    About how Greenfield survived the Nazis, came to the USA, and worked his way up.
    A true American Dream sort of story.

Unbroken
    Laura Hillenbrand
    About Louis Zamperini, who went from being an Olympic runner to Air Force member to Japanese POW, and the
    horrible conditions the POWs survived.

I've also listened to various murder mysteries, John Grisham novels, etc.

I have this on my wish list:
    The Sisters Who Would be Queen
    Mary, Katherine, and Lady Jane Grey: A Tudor Tragedy
    by Leanda de Lisle

Loved Unbroken

The Sisters Who would be Queen was excellent!!

If you love the Tudor era. I highly recommend the Cromwell series starting with Wolf Hall. Very good. And there are audio books.