Weights - Mind Block - How do I get over?

Options
Hello Myfitnesspals,

Cardio for me - bring it on any day. But I never lifted and I almost hate them. I know I am missing out on so much. My understanding reading about the subject is, lifting is a better return on muscle definition and can be achieved in fairly less time than cardio.

Advice is much appreciated.

Thank you,
Yvonnie16 :)

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Lifting helps you preserve your muscle when you're in a deficit. When we lose weight we lose fat AND muscle, strength training with a progressive overload and meeting your protein requirements can lessen that muscle loss. It is not only more aesthetically pleasing as you reach goal and have muscle left, leaving you with a more defined look-it is helpful for daily life and activity to have that muscle.

• Yvonnie16
    Yvonnie16 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Lifting helps you preserve your muscle when you're in a deficit. When we lose weight we lose fat AND muscle, strength training with a progressive overload and meeting your protein requirements can lessen that muscle loss. It is not only more aesthetically pleasing as you reach goal and have muscle left, leaving you with a more defined look-it is helpful for daily life and activity to have that muscle.

Indeed. I realize the importance of strength training. How do I get started ? I check youtube videos etc.. but I never even feel like going personap trainer route. Same time dont want to do things wrong and injure myself.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yvonnie16 wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »

Indeed. I realize the importance of strength training. How do I get started ? I check youtube videos etc.. but I never even feel like going personap trainer route. Same time dont want to do things wrong and injure myself.

Beginners Programs include:
    New Rules of Lifting and New Rules of Lifting for Women
    Strong Lifts 5x5
    Starting Strength
    All Pros Beginner's Routine

You can learn how to do compound lifts from videos but hiring a trainer is a great idea as well. It would just be a small investment to learn form. I learned many lifts on my own though I did have a trainer for the squat and dead lift.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Buy New Rules of Lifting for Women. They teach you a lot. You could also look into just starting out with You Are Your Own Gym or Convict Conditioning which are body weight programs.
  • arditarose
    Options
    Yeah I learned a lot from New Rules of Lifting for Women. Pretty fun read too.

• Yvonnie16
    Options
    @arditarose and @usmcmp - These programs sound awesome. I am in beast mode @ reasearch. Thank you so much.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Hello Myfitnesspals,

Cardio for me - bring it on any day. But I never lifted and I almost hate them. I know I am missing out on so much. My understanding reading about the subject is, lifting is a better return on muscle definition and can be achieved in fairly less time than cardio.

Thank you,

If you want to lift, and just feel intimidated for whatever reason, definitely do your research, or talk to a trainer and give it a try.
    If it is something you "should" be doing but honestly hate it, stop right there. Yes, ideally you need some sort of resistance training to be healthy and fit. No, it does not have to be weight lifting. Pilates, yoga, bodyweight routines, TRX training, and numerous sports, all will give you the health and fitness benefits and do not involve lifting heavy. Focus on what you like, not on what is considered fashionable.
    Of course if you want to e.g. compete in powerlifting, then you have no choice. For all other scenarios, experiment until you find something you like.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    As for the mental block, I try to read books that might inspire me to try something new. I've been lifting for a few months now and while I feel more "settled" with what I'm doing, I'm terrified of moving on to some of the more challenging lifts. I find that picking up books that tell someone else's journey to fitness helps me with mine. Everyone is new at some point, right? I'm not currently a crossfitter, but I'm reading learning to breathe fire right now hoping to make the excitement and anticipation of doing something new stronger than the fear of failure.
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Hello Myfitnesspals,

Thank you,

If you want to lift, and just feel intimidated for whatever reason, definitely do your research, or talk to a trainer and give it a try.
    If it is something you "should" be doing but honestly hate it, stop right there. Yes, ideally you need some sort of resistance training to be healthy and fit. No, it does not have to be weight lifting. Pilates, yoga, bodyweight routines, TRX training, and numerous sports, all will give you the health and fitness benefits and do not involve lifting heavy. Focus on what you like, not on what is considered fashionable.
    Of course if you want to e.g. compete in powerlifting, then you have no choice. For all other scenarios, experiment until you find something you like.

Wise words. I am looking for something that will tone my muscles and give soem definition. Have to explore and experiment with the type of routine I would enjoy. TRX training and bodyweight routines are something I will explore. Never been into weights and will see if personal trainer will change that attitude. Thabk you for the input.
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »
    As for the mental block, I try to read books that might inspire me to try something new. I've been lifting for a few months now and while I feel more "settled" with what I'm doing, I'm terrified of moving on to some of the more challenging lifts. I find that picking up books that tell someone else's journey to fitness helps me with mine. Everyone is new at some point, right? I'm not currently a crossfitter, but I'm reading learning to breathe fire right now hoping to make the excitement and anticipation of doing something new stronger than the fear of failure.

My rotatir cuff had an injury playing tennis. It is totally fine now but I am a bit fearful to do anything that might hurt. The MFPs posted some of the books I could begin with. Will get started on them. Thank you. And Gold luck to you as well.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    @arditarose and @usmcmp - These programs sound awesome. I am in beast mode @ reasearch. Thank you so much.

My library has 'New Rules of Lifting for Women' and several other books by that author, so maybe yours does as well.

Do you belong to a gym? A few sessions with a trainer will be far easier than doing everything self-taught.
  • mrp56839
    mrp56839 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    mrp56839 wrote: »

My rotatir cuff had an injury playing tennis. It is totally fine now but I am a bit fearful to do anything that might hurt. The MFPs posted some of the books I could begin with. Will get started on them. Thank you. And Gold luck to you as well.

Thanks! I've also read starting strength and while it's pretty technical stuff, it wasn't a difficult read.

At todays training session I learned how to clean - and while I probably have a few bruises (the first few were pretty ugly) and while it's still outside of my comfort zone, it wasn't as scary as I thought. My trainer knew that I was nervous about trying it and actually sent me a text about 15 mins after I left telling me what a great job I had done. I love my small "bro-gym". Lol
  • paulandrachelk
    paulandrachelk Posts: 280 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Read New Rules for Lifting for Women- great explanation.
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    My trainer knew that I was nervous about trying it and actually sent me a text about 15 mins after I left telling me what a great job I had done. I love my small "bro-gym". Lol[/quote]

I need to find my bro-gym and a trainer. On the hunt after travels. Good luck :)
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    Read New Rules for Lifting for Women- great explanation.

Ordered the book on Amazon :) On its way :) Thank you!
  • Yvonnie16
    Options
    @kshama2001 I used to be at my school. After graduating and moving couple cities, I am gym orphan :D I hit the gym in my apartments. Almost always cardio. Today, I did very basic 5 lbs bicep and tricep curls to warm me up to the idea of weights. Thank you!
  • kerryokerry
    kerryokerry Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Watch this "Gym Wildlife" video for an explanation of the various species in the gym. Great for a laugh and a confidence boost.

https://youtu.be/n1GUQVo1Lps
  • smurfbus
    smurfbus Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Yikes, first post here so hello. I mainly do weighted pull/chin ups but from what I've learned women should not be so shy of using heavier weights after they get comfortable with moving any weights. Using heavy weights 1-5 reps makes your metabolism keep going long after your workout and so helps with cutting/tuning. Just use a weight that leaves a rep or two short of your max so you don't get over stressed. And use progression (heavier weights or more sets/reps) weekly (or when ever you can) so your body does not get used to the exercise and start optimizing your energy output.

For the OP: If you just get the weights moving regularly its very motivating to see result when you can use heavier weights almost weekly! So keep some notes of your result if not a program with rep/sets and the weights dialed in before hand.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There's a new book out by the New Rules of Lifting crew called stronger

Also OP - you could start with bodyweight - just to get in the zone - it's valid in it's own right

nerdfitness.com has a great beginner's bodyweight
  • golfergirl92
    golfergirl92 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I was a cardio bunny for a long time until I found a gym that wasn't intimidating. I started out on machines working my way up in confidence before I tried the free weights. Most of them were on a different floor that only guys worked out on. I read the New Rules for Lifting for Women and Stronglifts 5X5. I watched a LOT of videos on correct form and practiced at home with dumbbells. Then I put my big girl workout clothes on and put in my earbuds and got to work in the boys' only club. Started small like 15 and 20 pounds on the DL and squat and followed the Stronglifts program. In about three months, I was squatting and deadlifting half my bodyweight - keeping form in mind always. I made sure I had a plan when I went to the gym and wasn't just flailing around machine to machine. Unfortunately I moved before I could make too much progress and now two and a half years later, I'm back at a gym where I can lift again! So I'm basically starting over. There's a lot of guys at my new gym as well that I can literally see the look of surprise on their faces when I pick up the barbell. But you have to remember this journey is ABOUT YOU, not them. They had to start somewhere as well - maybe in their high school PE classes but they didn't know how to use the machines then either. My new membership comes with one free training session where my trainer already knows I want to work on form and have him look over my lifting plan. Meeting with him next week! You are always your biggest critic and at the end of the day, the other people in the gym aren't going to care how much you lifted cause they are too worried about their own gains. I give myself a little pep talk like this before my gym session to make sure I keep that mental block away! Hope this helps :)