Starting up Yoga

Options
Looking to gain some flexibility as I can't even touch my toes! I've tried a few youtube videos but I'm wondering if you know any tips, great videos you've seen, or anything for a newbie? Feel free to add me as well :) I can always use more friends.

Replies

• mdmerchant
    mdmerchant Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I started with the "Simply Yoga" free app. It has 20, 40, and 60 minute workouts and explains how to do the exercise. I did purchase the full version for 3.99 which allows you to create your own workout.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    I was a big fan of Rodney Yee back when I did videos. (I've since developed my own yoga flow.)

Tips:
    1. Listen to your body and don't force it.
    2. Don't get competitive with the instructor.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I started taking yoga classes with my SO last fall.
    The best advice I can give you is take a class, at least to start with. There is no way one can do the moves correctly without some hands on assistance/descriptor.
    I have, since starting the class, looked at a few videos and there is no way I could do them competently yet.
    Yes, I can emulate what is being shown, but I can't engage the same as when in class. It is very subtle.

SO and his colleague, both runners who can't touch their toes and have tight hams and hips, are finding it really beneficial, and their flexibility is really improving.
    At the start of the class they can't touch their toes; by the end they can.
    It is Inyagar yoga that we are doing.

Cheers, h.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'd strongly recommend going to a studio for at least a couple of beginners classes. It's important that your alignment is correct and you can't necessarily learn this from a video. You can injure yourself if it's not done correctly and while you may be able to imitate what's happening on the screen to an extent, it's very helpful to have feedback and someone to ask questions of while you're getting the basics down. Plus the instructors will have advice about any modifications to poses that you may need.

I've been practicing for a number of years now and while I occasionally create my own sequence or use Youtube (Lesley Fightmaster and Yoga with Adrienne are some faves), I still prefer to be in a studio environment to continue working on my alignment and progressing my practice. I also find that I can engage more and find it generally more relaxing/beneficial. I practice vinyasa, yin and power yoga 5 times a week and it's made a significant different to my flexibility and balance. It's been beneficial for the other athletic activities that I do.

For general tips... Acknowledge that each day is different and not every pose will be available to you all the time, even if you could do it just fine yesterday. Don't force yourself into something which is painful. Don't do it on a full stomach - you'll be twisting and dangling your head upside down. If you do try some studios - there's a lot of variation in teachers so find one who works for you (personally I prefer ones who don't refer to chakras and have nice speaking voices!) and don't compare yourself to other people in the class. Consider your clothing - baggy shirts will likely end up tangled over your head.

And learn to love savasana. It's the final pose of a practice and it involves lying on your back for about 5 minutes to chill out/meditate/enjoy silence etc. When I first started I found it very difficult to be still and quiet for that long and it's something I've had to work at, now I love it.
  • BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yoga helped me a lot to gain flexibility, increase alertness, internal strength, and clams my mind. Its a nice for balancing and getting flexibility.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    +1 for Yoga with Adrienne.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i recommend going to a studio for a little while till you learn alignment. a beginner class or hatha class will help with that. be sure to tell the teacher that you are new. that why she knows you are starting at zero-ish

i like shiva rea and rodney yee dvds. rodney really breaks things down and explains things.