Does anyone else have sleep issues?

I have had issues sleeping through the night since I changed my diet. Does anyone else have similar problems?

Replies

• CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    I have issues going to sleep. But it's less that I can't stay asleep once I fall asleep and more that I can't fall asleep in the first place. But then again it's more like I don't really try. I'm just a night owl by nature. I hate sleeping, there's too much other stuff I'd rather be doing than sleeping that I just stay up til I'm physically exhausted and couldn't possibly stay awake longer.

Exercise changes can do that to a person. So can getting better nutrition. What do you consider sleeping through the night in this context? Do you mean you wake frequently or that you go to sleep and wake up at 4 am unable to go back to sleep?
  • tracymn925
    tracymn925 Posts: 21 Member
    It's mostly that I wake up 3 or 4 times a night. Sometimes it's hard to get back to sleep, other times it's not. It's super weird.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    I see, have you started any new medications lately? I mean ANYTHING. Even 1000mg ibuprofen for a sprained ankle will do it. You diary is closed.... what does your diet look like, and I mean compared to your diet before? Some people find that when they eat healthier, and thus are getting better nutrition, that they experience having more energy overall. If that's the case for you, getting in some light exercise throughout the day can help by offsetting that increase in overall energy. But new exercise programs can cause that too. Another factor could be WHEN you are exercising, if you are, and when you finish eating for the day. There's no time of day you could eat that would harm your weight loss if you are maintaining a deficit, but when you eat what does matter for this.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Other possibilities are likely medical or hormonal. Is it possible you could be pregnant? When I got pregnant, I had the problem you're having, followed by two months of constantly falling asleep all the time, and birth control is only 99% effective if that, so it's worth looking into if you're using anything less than an IUD for BC and have sex regularly (2-3 times per week is considered medically "regular" for whatever reason). Barring that, or any of what I mentioned above, it might be time to see your doctor depending on how long this has been going on. Normal hormonal fluctuations can cause sleep disturbances, but those would go away after two or three weeks, at which point it's time to see your GP.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Oh, and probably the most likely factor, I expect you've already thought of this, is stress. There is nothing like a new stress in your life to manifest itself as sleep disturbances. It may not even be something you're conscious of. Stress hits us in the subconscious first unless it's truly intense, which you probably would've noticed by now.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Do you drink caffeine at all?
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Weight loss, diet change, exercise all can affect the balance in your system and thus affect sleep. These are good changes, but they can still impact sleep. This from my sleep doctor.
  • Itreadlightly
    Itreadlightly Posts: 87 Member
    Yes- in fact I went to Dr today for a checkup because of sleep issues- she gave advice- bed is only for sleeping or sex. Computer or tv screens ( light emitting devices) should not be used an hour before bed, limit liquid before bed.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Yes- in fact I went to Dr today for a checkup because of sleep issues- she gave advice- bed is only for sleeping or sex. Computer or tv screens ( light emitting devices) should not be used an hour before bed, limit liquid before bed.

My doctor also gave the same advice
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,050 Member
    I sleep better when I am eating within my calories than when I eat like I did before.
  • crabbybrianna
    crabbybrianna Posts: 344 Member
    I have sleep problems if I eat too little, too much (like, completely stuff myself), work out too close to bed time, take magnesium supplements before bed, have caffeine after 11am, or eat low carb. You'll have to play around with your diet to try to figure out what's causing it, or talk to your doctor.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    I also have trouble sleeping. But that's because my legs ache at night from doing a huge bunch of exercise.

Usually when I start lowering calories, I also have insomnia for a few weeks and after my body gets used to it I sleep like a baby again. It might just because you changed your diet?
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    I for sure had trouble sleeping when changing my diet. I kept consistently waking up at 2 or 3am and then would have a strong craving to eat, or just couldn't get back to sleep in general. It was happening almost every night so I went to doctor. I got prescribed ambien and it has been an absolute life saver.

Prior to that I was trying Benadryl and Melatonin and just was not having any luck. Would wake up with a sleep hangover too. This is all just my personal experience.
  • tyboskates
    tyboskates Posts: 23 Member
    I am going through really bad insomnia right now and the past few nights I only have been getting a total of 3-4 hours of sleep. Feeling like a zombie at work has been no fun. I tried melatonin, essential oils and tart cherry juice. Time to contact my doctor for meds, I was trying to avoid that. So frustrating.
  • tracymn925
    tracymn925 Posts: 21 Member
    Thanks everyone! I just started a new part time job and a new semester in college so defintely could be partially stress. Also I significantly slashed the number of calories Im consuming. Eating around 1200-1400 when I was probably eating 2500ish+ before (lots of late night fast food, alcohol, etcetera). Also, I have a bad habit of checking my phone/laptop very frequently right before bed. :P Haha I will have to make some changes

It's comforting to know I'm mot the only one!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    sarsather wrote: »
    I for sure had trouble sleeping when changing my diet. I kept consistently waking up at 2 or 3am and then would have a strong craving to eat, or just couldn't get back to sleep in general. It was happening almost every night so I went to doctor. I got prescribed ambien and it has been an absolute life saver.

Prior to that I was trying Benadryl and Melatonin and just was not having any luck. Would wake up with a sleep hangover too. This is all just my personal experience.

But weren't you undereating then? IIRC, you were waking up hungry because you weren't eating enough during the day.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,843 Member
    tracymn925 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I just started a new part time job and a new semester in college so defintely could be partially stress. Also I significantly slashed the number of calories Im consuming. Eating around 1200-1400 when I was probably eating 2500ish+ before (lots of late night fast food, alcohol, etcetera). Also, I have a bad habit of checking my phone/laptop very frequently right before bed. :P Haha I will have to make some changes

It's comforting to know I'm mot the only one!
    tracymn925 wrote: »
    It's mostly that I wake up 3 or 4 times a night. Sometimes it's hard to get back to sleep, other times it's not. It's super weird.

Are you waking up hungry? I budget a few hundred calories for a bed time snack.

How tall are you? Unless you're very short, 1200 is probably too few calories for you.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Open your diary. You could be ultra sensitive to caffeine. Even chocolate can have enough to keep you awake. I can't eat it after 3pm.
  • toe1226
    toe1226 Posts: 249 Member
    I woke up in the middle of the night when I was not eating enough. Make sure you eat enough. If you wake up hungry, have a 100 cal snack and try to eat a bit more the next day.
  • ImPerfectSoRU
    ImPerfectSoRU Posts: 9 Member
    It might feel frustrating and discouraging when you are changing a habit that your body has become accustom to handling and aren't getting the reaction you expected. Is this what I'm hearing from your post? There seems to be many replies that have given advise and suggestions of some solutions that may be helpful. May they be the answer you seek.