Into week 3 of exercise and cutting out sugar and reducing alcohol by hell of a lot!!!!

Options
I'm into my 3rd week with doing exactly that in my title discussion and I've lost 3lbs but more amazingly I've lost 5 cms off my waist and 4 cms off my hips! Years I've struggled and the only thing I've done differently is the cutting out sugar and just have a sociable drink of gin and slimline tonic. Even with the gin I don't drink a lot as I find after 4 or 5 my mouth gets sore and it's not my favourite drink anyhow. Need to keep this going and am looking for extra support please xx

Replies

• msega1988
    msega1988 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm killing those refined sugars too...and man is it tough when my family is bringing home cookies and pastries etc. Ive foubd that suplimenting fruit has made my cravings go wayyyyy down. Last get together I went to I decided one glass of wine was fine since it's so sugary. I'm gunna bring vodka tonic next time lol. Anyway I'm looking to loose around 20 lbs. I'm right now at 147 :) feel free to add
  • jlodavies1979
    jlodavies1979 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have a major problem with wine!!! It's my weakness. I could drink a half bottle to full bottle every Friday night. Then after that I don't feel bad about stuffing my face. I'm not big I only have about 10lbs to lose I think if I cut the wine it would be easy. Sometimes I'll have wine Friday and Saturday and Sunday. Uhhhh! The struggle!! Any tips?
  • swwass130
    swwass130 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    A friend calls wine "liquid french fries" I tend to agree, nothing nutruious about either wine or french fries. That doesn't mean I don't eat them or drink wine. That glass of wine or two tasts so great after work. I do try to save the wine for the weekend (not always successful). The weeks I do abstain from wine are great, I need motivation to do that every week.
  • chocolatedori1
    chocolatedori1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    same hear!!!
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    swwass130 wrote: »
    A friend calls wine "liquid french fries" I tend to agree, nothing nutruious about either wine or french fries. That doesn't mean I don't eat them or drink wine. That glass of wine or two tasts so great after work. I do try to save the wine for the weekend (not always successful). The weeks I do abstain from wine are great, I need motivation to do that every week.

That's not true at all. Numerous studies have proven that there are lots of benefits to red wine - in moderation. 1-2 4 oz servings per day is recommended. I have seen no studies recommending 1 -2 servings of fries per day, though. (Oh wouldn't that be a happy day though?!?!)
  • HorrorGeekLiz
    HorrorGeekLiz Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    msega1988 wrote: »
    I'm killing those refined sugars too...and man is it tough when my family is bringing home cookies and pastries etc. Ive foubd that suplimenting fruit has made my cravings go wayyyyy down. Last get together I went to I decided one glass of wine was fine since it's so sugary. I'm gunna bring vodka tonic next time lol. Anyway I'm looking to loose around 20 lbs. I'm right now at 147 :) feel free to add

What kind of wine are you drinking that is so sugary? Red wine has only a gram, white only has 1.5 grams per 5 ounce serving. Unless you're drinking those cheap fake ones that taste like Kool-Aid, wine is fine.
  • teknosprite
    teknosprite Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I struggle with wine/vodka sodas! I love a drink or two after work, and weekends usually end up in social drinking. And then, yea, the not caring about stuffing my face thing. And if I go out for drinks I usually end up ordering food, and even with the "healthiest" choice it's always more than if I ate at home. I can always use some extra support! Add me if youd like!
  • TeraMB
    TeraMB Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Oh!!!! WEE neeeed to be friends!!! I eat well and I try to focus on ME!!! But life gets in the way. Oh... And then wine!! I am a mom of three... 10, 8 and 5. I work full time as a learning partner/ teacher. I have a supportive husband and enjoying winding down with him with a drink. So that screams calories .... Then through the weekend.... OMG the weekend comes and we socialize... So I know in my head I head I just say no. But how can I lose weight and feel good and have a life in my social circle ???? I do love my wine!!! What's the secret ??? Maybe some fitness guru should think about real life and market a lifestyle that socializes and incorporates that into a real life plan. I know they include it in calorie choices but let's acknowledge it!! It's life ... There are lots of social drinkers that aren't ALCOHOLICS!!( I grew up with those in my extended family no judgement posed... But they were skinny as they never ate much)
    So I would love to have some support and insight on losing weight, getting healthy and having a social life with social drinks.
  • kimmos1
    kimmos1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    msega1988 wrote: »

In 2013 I was 10stone 7 and was attending boot camp classes and the odd weight bearing exercises. The only thing I didn't change was my drinking habit and sugar in my tea. I wouldn't say I'm a alcoholic but I was concerned with the amount I was consuming. Sometimes every night of the week. Of course I'm a wine lover but what I've done now is not drink Sunday to Thursday. Because I've cut that out I feel when it comes to Friday I a) don't need much to feel relaxed and chilled and b) I haven't got the taste for a big session. Last Friday I drank a bottle of red in the evening and Saturday I was hanging! I craved sweet things (which I hadn't all week) and anything naughty. So I'm now conscious that if I over indulge I'm aware that the next day I'll be binging. Also especially on the weekend I use fitness pal to decide whether I can have that drink or not. Btw gin and slimline tonic is the least calories! Good luck all hope this is helpful.
  • kimmos1
    Options
    I have a major problem with wine!!! It's my weakness. I could drink a half bottle to full bottle every Friday night. Then after that I don't feel bad about stuffing my face. I'm not big I only have about 10lbs to lose I think if I cut the wine it would be easy. Sometimes I'll have wine Friday and Saturday and Sunday. Uhhhh! The struggle!! Any tips?

Hi!

I think your intake of alcohol isn't tooooo bad if you are not drinking in the week. If you like drinking to chill out then try an alternative. I started to drink gin and slimline tonic with a slice or lemon and lime with ice. Now after about 4-5 I kinda get sick of them and therefore stop drinking. Give that a go. The calorie intake is sooooo much lower than wine x
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I've been alcohol free for the last 24 days. I'd slowly like to incorporate back a glass of wine every once in a while. I feel great, my skin looks better and have lost almost 10 pounds. Now sugar??? I'm eating a lot of conversation valentines hearts. Can't win em all. o:)
  • kimmos1
    Options
    Feel free to add me if you'd like. I've been alcohol free for the last 24 days. I'd slowly like to incorporate back a glass of wine every once in a while. I feel great, my skin looks better and have lost almost 10 pounds. Now sugar??? I'm eating a lot of conversation valentines hearts. Can't win em all. o:)

My main intake of sugar was in my cups of tea. Cut that out now which is hard but I think I'm adjusting slowly!
  • SisterSueGetsFit
    SisterSueGetsFit Posts: 1,211 Member
    Options
    kimmos1 wrote: »

My main intake of sugar was in my cups of tea. Cut that out now which is hard but I think I'm adjusting slowly!

I use Splenda in my tea. Not sure I can give that up! I drink A LOT of tea too. Probably 10 cups a day. I know I need to do some research on Splenda, but I'm a little scared to.
  • Teamdhb120
    Teamdhb120 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have a problem with white wine. My plan is to cut it for the month of February so I can focus on my workouts. Feel free to add me. I need the support!!
  • kimmos1
    Options
    kimmos1 wrote: »

I use Splenda in my tea. Not sure I can give that up! I drink A LOT of tea too. Probably 10 cups a day. I know I need to do some research on Splenda, but I'm a little scared to.

They say to use natural sweetners such as stevia. I wasn't fussed on the taste and actually prefer it without ! That's saying something! I have fruit when before I didn't touch the stuff
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    that's great, I cut out sugar,,, but never booze...
  • kimmos1
    Options
    Teamdhb120 wrote: »
    I also have a problem with white wine. My plan is to cut it for the month of February so I can focus on my workouts. Feel free to add me. I need the support!!

The only way I allow myself a lush glass of wine is if I've got loads of calories left over on fitness pal otherwise I drink gin and slimline tonics as less calories