Calorie loading end of day

Options
If I haven't met my calorie goal by the evening, is it more helpful to load up on calories even if I'm full, or just let it be.

This is pertaining to a 21 year old female. I weigh 151 lbs, I'm 5'5" and I'm training for a half marathon. I am trying to lose fat (not necessarily weight) but I usually have a pretty high number of calories to eat due to my training.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    If I haven't met my calorie goal by the evening, is it more helpful to load up on calories even if I'm full, or just let it be.

This is pertaining to a 21 year old female. I weigh 151 lbs, I'm 5'5" and I'm training for a half marathon. I am trying to lose fat (not necessarily weight) but I usually have a pretty high number of calories to eat due to my training.

Going under your goal is okay from time to time but it shouldn't be the norm. If you're consistently under your goal, try eating higher or full fat versions of the food you're currently eating.
  • Twirlingmonarch
    Twirlingmonarch Posts: 4 Member
    Options

jemhh wrote: »

Going under your goal is okay from time to time but it shouldn't be the norm. If you're consistently under your goal, try eating higher or full fat versions of the food you're currently eating.

I have tried that but it throws off my macros. If I meet my calorie goals by just consuming more high fat things even if they are good fats I end up with around 45% fat and my goal is 30
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

I have tried that but it throws off my macros. If I meet my calorie goals by just consuming more high fat things even if they are good fats I end up with around 45% fat and my goal is 30

Do you have a medical reason to limit fat? As long as it isn't crowding out other things that you need (like protein), going over your fat isn't going to cause issues if you're within your calorie goal.

Or you could just pick some snacks that are lower in fat -- snacks that are higher in carboydrates or protein.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

You should be looking at fat and protein as minimums, not maximums. Additionally, those minimums should be set based on grams, not percentages. .4 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight minimum, .62-.84g of protein per pound of bodyweight minimum. That means the remaining food can be carbs or can be more fat or protein.
  • CinderellaDaisy
    CinderellaDaisy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use to do half marathons (before my son I'm hoping to get into it again soon) and agree with going over for fats for training. I would recommend going up to at least 40% fat it helps to keep you fuelled for your longer runs a lot better then carbs. At least that's what I found. I'm not up to 65% fat and 20% carbs it's been working way better for my body.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    It depends. How much are you trying to lose? How are your energy levels on your runs? If your performance suffers, eat more. If you feel great, don't worry about it. Also if you do eat more, don't fear fat and going over an arbitrary percentage.