disappointed in my .3 pound loss...

Options
Been logging everything in MFP for exactly 6 weeks now and I have lost 6 pounds so far but this week, I only lost .3 pounds. So disappointed with that number. It's not even a pound. I feel like I may have cheated myself as I had been working out much more the weeks before but felt extremely sore for a few days (more like 2 days) where I didn't do my 30 minute workout and its reflected this week. I know people will say, "Well at least there was no weight gain. You have next week." True but seeing that number on the scale is very discouraging.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    You've lost a pound a week -- that's great!

If you're working out more, then your muscles may be retaining some water. It's really common with new routines or when you increase the intensity.

You might not see the losses you want every week, but they add up over time. Focus on what you've accomplished (six pounds is great!) and not one week.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Extremely sore = water weight for muscle repair, most likely.

Adjust your expectations. You are NOT going to lose each & every week, going by the scale. Are you leaner/stronger than you were a month ago? If so then you're doing something right. Be proud of what you've accomplished so far.

You feel discouraged, I acknowledge that. What are you going to do about it? Give up, negate the progress you've made and in a few month's time be worse off than when you started? Or keep going, and be better off in a few month's time? Your choice. If you give in to the discouragement you have nothing to gain.
  • Shells918
    Shells918 Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Any loss is a good loss. Even staying the same is good. Sometimes you might even go up a pound then lose more the next week or two later. Try not to be so hard on yourself. You're doing great.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    ive lost 80 pounds in the past year. do you think every week had a loss? i had WEEKS ON END without loss sometimes.

buckle up buttercup, weight loss is not linear and you are in for a long ride....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    you are losing a pound a week, and weight loss is not linear...
  • absentmindedhousewife
    Options
    ive lost 80 pounds in the past year. do you think every week had a loss? i had WEEKS ON END without loss sometimes.

buckle up buttercup, weight loss is not linear and you are in for a long ride....

I need a Tshirt with "Buckle up Buttercup!" printed on it.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    You are retaining water. Also, ANY progress is still progress :)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. I cannot blame you for your outlook on weight loss because when I first started losing weight, I was consistently losing two pounds per week. One week I didn't lose anything and I was wondering what I did wrong. "Is this the last of my weight loss? I was working hard. What did I do wrong?" The next week I lost three pounds.

Now I don't get worked up about things like that because I know better. The body fluctuates constantly and it looks worse on the scale the smaller you get. I've been 113 to 113.5 this whole week and at this morning's weigh in I was 115.8. I know I truly didn't gain 2.3 to 2.8 pounds overnight, so I'll let my body do its thing with the water weight and I know I'll see continued losses as long as I'm following my plan accurately.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options

I need a Tshirt with "Buckle up Buttercup!" printed on it.

a coworker told me that a long time ago when i was whining about work.

it stuck with me. LOL
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I just logged a .3lb weight loss.... took me 3 weeks to get it and Im thrilled the scale ia moving again!
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I appreciate all the responses. I'm not going to give up. I'm going to keep moving forward because strength is from doing things you never thought you could do.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,180 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Been logging everything in MFP for exactly 6 weeks now and I have lost 6 pounds so far but this week, I only lost .3 pounds. So disappointed with that number. It's not even a pound. I feel like I may have cheated myself as I had been working out much more the weeks before but felt extremely sore for a few days (more like 2 days) where I didn't do my 30 minute workout and its reflected this week. I know people will say, "Well at least there was no weight gain. You have next week." True but seeing that number on the scale is very discouraging.

There is your answer. Your muscles are retaining water to deal with the soreness. It can take a week or more for that to go away. That water your muscles are holding is masking your weight loss. In fact, that you measured a loss at all after increasing the intensity of your workout is a win. Often when people increase the intensity of their exercise program significantly, or start a new exercise program, they will put on weight. Weight loss is not linear for just this sort of reason.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates from day to day. Today might be an up day for you. I am up 1.8 from yesterday but not stressing about it. As others have said, 6 lbs in 6 weeks is great progress. No reason to get discouraged now.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options

Love this^^^

Maybe it didn't show this week but it will next. Don't get discouraged. Like they say, you didn't gain it in 6 weeks and you won't lose it in 6 weeks!
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I was feeling sick last night so I ate a bunch of crackers. Salted ones. This morning the scale says I gained more than 1 lb. Water retention masks weight loss. Exercise and TOM can also increase water retention. Some weeks I will stall or gain, the next week I drop 3 lb. If nothing else has changed, keep doing your thing and know that the scale is not the best measure of success. If you haven't already, take some before pictures and take measurements. I repeat those monthly for a better idea of what's going on. I also use trendweight to track my weight over time. It shows that individual weights have less impact on the overall progress than you may realize. I hear Happy Scale and Libra are also good for this. I know the scale can be demotivating, but as you become familiar with the trends and workings of your body, it should have less impact.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    6 pounds in 6 weeks is awesome. So is a .3 pound loss after all that. You're doing well.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Don't let the scale rule your fitness regime. :) Grab the measuring tape and take measurements as well as stepping on the scale because sometimes the scale sees EVERYTHING and the measuring tape will only see what's on the surface. You can end up staring at the scale wondering why you're seeing a two pound gain, but pick up the measuring tape and see an 1/8th of an inch loss. Scales have one job, and they do consistently, but they can't tell fat from muscle or water. :)
  • jaynee7283
    jaynee7283 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I've learned to ignore the scale. Too many things can affect your weight. High sodium the day before weigh-in, increased activity (as others have said), PMS bloating - and that's just THREE things that can affect a weigh-in. Think long-term. You've done great work - keep it up!
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't linear. Look at the average weight loss over how many weeks you've been doing it for. 6 lbs in 6 weeks? That's 1 lb a week. That's pretty good.

Also, don't let the scale dictate your progress. Take measurements of your body. You might find that on some weeks where you don't lose anything, you might have lost half an inch off your waist or something similar.