Hypothyroid & Losing Weight

Options
2»

Replies

• tiffkittyw
    tiffkittyw Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    wendykoopa wrote: »
    I went to the doctor and found out that I am hypothyroid. I have been prescribed 50mg of Synthroid and will start it today. Anybody else on a weight loss journey with this disorder and taking this medication that can give me any tips, advice, what to expect etc.? Any details of your journey are appreciated!

I've been on 50 mg of generic Synthyroid (Levothyroxizine) since the end of October. I started at 164 lbs in September and I'm now 134.2 lbs. I've lost weight every week by watching my carbs and sodium the day before weigh in. I basically eat all the things I love modified to be healthier. I use a Fitbit Charge HR to tell me how many calories I'm burning which is anywhere from 1,850 calories for 10,000 steps up to 1,950 calories for 12,000 steps. I pre-log all 7 days with what I plan to eat, check my weekly daily average and as long as it's below 1,400 gross I lose weight. You might be different since my TDEE is based on my age, weight and height. I definitely recommend an activity tracker to give you a TDEE estimate. I eat food from my favorite Mexican restaurant every Saturday washed down with wine or vodka and some peanut m&m's. I've heard that once your thyroid levels are good you will lose weight just like anyone else, but just in case (and because I'm all fat no muscle due to yo yo dieting) I tell Fitbit I'm an inch shorter for more accuracy and so far so good, no plateaus...knock on wood LOL! I think you'll do great as long as you stick with eating less than you burn :smile:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Total thyroidectomy in 2000 and put on ~60lbs largely due to not being aware of what I was eating and stopping exercising after transitioning from the military to a cushy civilian life. Once I found MFP I started logging my intake and activity and lost the extra weight.

You may need to tweak your intake and logging. Note that it is very difficult to estimate caloric intake, so if the weight is not coming off - check and recheck your logs to make sure you are including everything.

Your TSH should be <2.0. If not and you don't feel well work with your endocrinologist to get this managed and get a full thyroid panel as well. Keep copies of your records and share your MFP data with your physician as well. Docs love objective evidence!

Speaking as someone who manufactures pharmaceuticals there is a difference between generic and branded product. Not always, but there is with Synthroid. This is one of the more complex products to manufacture and I don't react as well to generic. You also need to take this on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I set an alarm for 5am, take the pill, then drink 16oz water about an hour later. Hydration is also key with thyroid disorders, so drink to your thirst.

One last tip - there are tons of people trying to exploit hypothyroidism, so steer clear of any claims of "curing" thyroid disorders.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Be patient, it can take time to get the dosage right.

I'd ask your doctor what your TSH was and what range your doctor/insurance/lab is using as the normal range--it varies. Also ask for a Free T3 and T4 test (and where your results are in relation to the normal range). Your body is supposed to convert T4 to T3, but sometimes it does a bad job. I'm on Cytomel, which is a T3 supplement. They act in different ways: synthroid, levoxyl and the like are T4 and take time to build up in the bloodstream--hence the testing every eight weeks. The T3 supplemental goes in and out in 24 hours. Consistency in taking meds and following directions (I take both of mine first thing in the morning and don't eat until a few hours later) are crucial. Calcium can affect absorption. So can antacids.

The old TSH standard used to be above 5.0. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists recommends 3.0 as the high end for TSH. My insurance uses 4.0 as the high value. But there's a normal range for a reason. Just because you're in the normal range, doesn't mean that's where you personally need to be. Maybe you function better at 2.0 or 1.0. If you're still experiencing symptoms 8 weeks after a normal range blood test, tell your doctor. Ask for a referral to an Endo if you're not already seeing one. You need to be your own best advocate.

There are no differences between the medications, but between the name brand of the hundreds of generic versions of synthroid/levoxyl on the market, there are differences with the fillers, binders, colorings and pill coatings. This can affect some people. If you find a generic version that works for you--stick with it. The same pharmacy won't always stock the same generic--you need to be attentive to what you're getting as the pills are always the same color for the same dosage. You can have your doc specifically request a brand of generic. I am fine as long as I'm on the same brand of generic consistently. When I moved here, and got new insurance and new generics, we had to adjust the dosage for both my T4 and T3. My new insurance wouldn't cover the name brands and I couldn't afford to pay out-of-pocket for them. But I have a good doctor who listens to me.

I've lost over 85 pounds and am in better shape than before I was when the disease hit. Just be patient with yourself, get into a calorie deficit and if you can get a fitness tracker to help you with the calories out side, I'd really recommend it. You can do it too!
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It will help you and follow your doctors recommended dosage. They will have to test you a few times to get it adjusted correctly and that is slow since it takes a few weeks to get the real accurate reading. Also I would advise you to get a second opinion if you can since doctors vary widely in their test and dosage.
    I have graves disease. It is a genetic blood disorder that was triggering my thyroid/metabolism wide open all the time. They did not discover my condition until I was 38 and by then i was shaking uncontrollably and very very weak. (near death) Every muscle in my body was trembling/convulsing including my heart. 3 doctors did not diagnose me correctly because Graves is inherited from family and they didn't test for that. Finally one figured it out and my readings were so high there was no reading. I weighed 125 pounds by then. After they radiated my thyroid twice (killed it with radioactive iodine) I went from Hyper to hypo. I have been on synthroid / levothyroxin ever since then. I prefer the synthroid but the levo is cheaper. Anyway I gained weight slowly but steadily to 268 pounds (now I am learning how to balance my nutrition and calorie intake) I just started Jan 1 but it was not a new years resolution I just feel like a 75 year old and i want to live happy not sickly. I'm only 53 so I decided to learn and change. Here's what I've accomplished and how.
    1. I stopped making any excuses and decided that from now on I am 100% in charge of me. (this has been amazingly liberating)
    2. I stopped dieting and listening to any advise on the subject. I hear but don't hear if you know what i mean. My father just passed at 93 he was healthy and happy right up until his last month. He was still going dancing at 92 3 nights a week and had girlfriends fighting over him LOL.. He was never heavier that 155 pounds his entire life. He was concerned for my weight gain so he told me this: Never eat more than a handful of any one thing. After breakfast eat very small meals all day every hour or two if possible. He also said I should keep moving no matter what I'm doing just keep moving. Of course back then i didn't do what he said but I am now.
    3. I do the math and am learning the numbers for all the foods that I enjoy. I can eat anything as long as it adds up. I have found many of the things i used to eat were simply not worth it. I am shooting for near balance.
    4. Since Jan 1,2016 I have already lost 28 pounds starting at 268 i weighed in at 240 this morning.

The last thing I will let you know is that the dosage of synthroid will need to be adjusted as we lose weight. That means tests every month or two as they get it adjusted. I cheat a wee bit here since I have to go every 6 months I will wait until my next appointment (early march) for him to do his regular test he will then see i'm losing weight, talk to me about it and i will have to go back sooner like probably 3 months in that case. Same applies for weight gain. Just personal experience here.
    You will be great! I am feeling better than I did in my 30's already and my new saying is "Nothing can possibly taste as good as I feel!"
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,370 Member
    Options
    FWIW, a data point: My thyroid meds have not (so far) required dosage adjustment despite losing approximately 60 pounds. I was switched to my current dose (175mcg) at about my starting weight of 183, retested June 2015 at about 155 pounds (no material change in TSH from post-adjustment stabilization point), retested again in December 2015 at about 125 pounds (no material change). Perhaps that's just not enough weight to make a difference - though my doctor didn't seem to think a change due to weight loss was expected.
  • Doc0862
    Doc0862 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    FWIW, a data point: My thyroid meds have not (so far) required dosage adjustment despite losing approximately 60 pounds. I was switched to my current dose (175mcg) at about my starting weight of 183, retested June 2015 at about 155 pounds (no material change in TSH from post-adjustment stabilization point), retested again in December 2015 at about 125 pounds (no material change). Perhaps that's just not enough weight to make a difference - though my doctor didn't seem to think a change due to weight loss was expected.

possible difference could be the dosage level and actual causes. In my case they completely killed my thyroid or they told me 98% inactive. I think because the radiation treatment is not an exact science.. they had to do mine twice and it may recover a little as the years go by. My condition would require they stop it from functioning as entirely as possible or remove it surgically. I do not want the scar. Also no two doctors agree 100% and no two people are alike. I would never advise anyone medically on this or any other site/blog. Getting a second opinion is always recommended because of the huge variance in doctors views on treatments. (I had one before that had my levels way too low so I was experiencing symptoms.. that should not have even happened.) I do not think that one was actually doing the tests but they were charging me for them. I changed to a new doctor, did a second opinion even after getting him and both were on the same dosage.... no problems since.

My weight change was from 125 pounds all the way up to around 270 pounds over the last 15 years. Yes they did have to adjust my dosage because of my body mass. about 2 times over the 15 years but i do not remember the weights i was at when they did it however last time was 2 years ago and I was 260 then. I'm not sure if my inactivity came into play but i also slowed down dramatically when I got an inactive desk job. (I used to have a very physical job) so all things are a factor. None of it however was a real excuse for my weight gain. My bad habits did that and I am 100% at fault for not taking control of myself sooner.
  • erin3215
    erin3215 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I've been on synthroid for years as well, currently taking 150mcg. It is not a magic fix, weight loss still takes a good deal of work, but it does make a difference in a lot of ways. rHope its helping you thus far!
  • 3AAnn3
    3AAnn3 Posts: 3,055 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm on armour thyroid and have been for 6 years. Before that, was on synthroid for 4 years. Yes, it's more difficult with the condition, but the meds will help. Don't let your conditions become your excuses! Moreso than the meds, having a very clean diet, keeping a very positive disposition, and lots of sunlight and exercise are what served me the best.
    Also, I'm on a fairly low dose, 45 mg. I can't remember what my dosage was for synthroid. Best to you!
  • moonnstarstx
    moonnstarstx Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I was diagnosed with hypothyroid disease about 8 years ago and also started out on 50mcg of synthroid. I was on 175 mcg over the past 3 years. Last Friday I went to my endocrinologist and was told that depending on my blood work my thyroid medication might be lowered due to losing a big chunk of weight. Today I found out that my endocrinologist is lowering my synthroid to 150mcg! I am so excited because it feels like such a huge accomplishment (its the little things). It is definitely each to make it an excuse (Me for example). You just need to take it one day at a time. Feel free to add me. Good luck
  • amandaatwork
    amandaatwork Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Terri70 wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for this post. I have a question for y'all. I've been on Levo at 125 mcg for the last 6-7 months and my # looks great. The problem is I'm not seeing any of the good side effects that y'all are saying you get. I'm still VERY sluggish and have been having a problem with losing weight. Could a change in meds make a difference there? and not screw up my good #? I hate feeling like this and am sooooo ready to rid myself of this weight. If it's time for a med change, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Hi Terri. I've been on levo for... probably 18 months now. I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's and related hypothyroid with my last pregnancy. My ob-gyn started me on it and what a HUGE difference it made for me! However, calorie-cutting and clean eating weren't enough for me to lose more than 1 lb a month (even though I was breastfeeding), which I would immediately gain back with a single cheat meal, no exaggeration.

My endo has me alternate 88 mcg and 75 mcg every other day, and when I told her about my difficulties with weight loss she said my body may not be effectively converting T4 to T3. She added 5 mcg of Cytomel 2x a day and I'm finally – FINALLY – able to lose the weight. I've been losing about 1.5 lbs/week by following a 5:2 intermittent fasting diet. I eat about 1300 calories 5 days a week and 500 calories or less 2 days a week. However, she wouldn't give the Cytomel to me while I was still nursing my baby because it can get into breastmilk and cause crankiness and other hyperthyroid symptoms in baby.

I'm so grateful for the Cytomel, seriously. I've been trying after the birth of our 2nd child 3.5 years ago to lose weight with very little success. This has finally made it possible for me. Good luck!
  • BigAnnieG
    BigAnnieG Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    The first and most important bit of info here is: don't worry! You WILL reach your goals.

It just takes a little longer than for healthy people!

I've been on 200mcg of levothyroxine for hashimoto's for a while now, but it took literally years to get the right level. So patience is a virtue - if after three months you're still not feeling a difference, go back to the doc and get another full panel done. As someone's already said, get them to check your conversion as well. It might simply be that you need to bump up by another 25mcg for the difference to be felt.

If you hold water as part of your thyroid symptoms, you might find that you seem to lose a lot of weight pretty quickly and then plateau. You'll notice much slimmer ankles too I'll bet ;) don't let the plateau put you off - it was only fast loss because it was water, not fat.

Keep going. Possibly the hardest thing to do is reverse a mentality (which I certainly used to have) of 'I can't do this because of my thyroid' to 'I can do this despite my thyroid'. Simple change, big difference in motivation.

Also, as someone else has already said, take it first thing in the morning at least 30 mins before you eat anything, and don't take with indigestion tablets or ibuprofen as these will inhibit uptake.

When you get the medication levels right, you'll be able to lose weight as easily as the next person, especially using MFP tracking tools etc. At my absolute heaviest, I was 314lbs and that was three years ago. It took me three years and lots of medication juggling to get down to 252 at the end of last year, and a new diet and gym membership this month now sees me at 237lbs. This isn't to brag: it's to show that seriously, if I can lose weight at a 'normal' rate now my thyroid is 'in order', then you definitely can!

Keep going! :smiley:

• neohdiver
    neohdiver Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    wendykoopa wrote: »
    I went to the doctor and found out that I am hypothyroid. I have been prescribed 50mg of Synthroid and will start it today. Anybody else on a weight loss journey with this disorder and taking this medication that can give me any tips, advice, what to expect etc.? Any details of your journey are appreciated!

Hot flashes stink. I thought I was done with those - but they're back since I started taking synthroid.

Hypothyroidism likely plays a far lower role in weight than its reputation. I have, unfortunately, lost weight more than once. I'm down 34 lbs since diagnosis - and am losing at about the same pace as the last time.

If you aren't feeling better in a couple of months, I suggest running a full panel to see that you are converting your t4 into t3 properly. In a few people this doesn't happen and they have to take a different hormone replacement but I can't for the life of me recall the name right now.

Ditto that advice - but have the full panel, regardless of whether you are feeling better. If you are making rT3, rather than T3, the only way to know is via the full panel. If that is happening, you need less T4 (synthroid) and you need to add T3. (The "few people" who don't know include quite a few doctors who only measure TSH - an indirect measure that cannot tell you whether your T4 or T3 levels are where they should be -and who may
    Terri70 wrote: »
    Ok. Thanks for this post. I have a question for y'all. I've been on Levo at 125 mcg for the last 6-7 months and my # looks great. The problem is I'm not seeing any of the good side effects that y'all are saying you get. I'm still VERY sluggish and have been having a problem with losing weight. Could a change in meds make a difference there? and not screw up my good #? I hate feeling like this and am sooooo ready to rid myself of this weight. If it's time for a med change, what do you suggest? Thanks in advance!

Has your doctor run the full thyroid panel? If your thyroid is converting T4 to rT3 (rather than T3), you won't get the benefits people are mentioning. My doctor refers to T3 as the happy hormone, and rT3 as the anti-happy hormone. Many people with hypothyroidism have multiple impairments, including one that doesn't efficiently convert T4.
  • KristieJC
    KristieJC Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 11 years ago. I'm currently on 125 mcg levothyroxine and 15 mcg of a T3 supplement. I have no problem losing weight when I actually stick with a good eating plan. One suggestion: if you don't see improvement after about 6 weeks on meds, you might see a holistic doctor (DO - doctor of osteopathic medicine). I see one and she has me on a T3 supplement because my thyroid doesn't respond to the levothyroxine like it should. Holistic doctors tend to check a lot more in your bloodwork than your standard primary care physician. She found my issue and got everything under control. Also be sure to have regular bloodwork and see your doctor afterwards to make sure your dose gets adjusted if needed. Your doctor should already have you doing this. This is especially important if you get pregnant. My doses had to be adjusted almost monthly throughout my pregnancy. Good luck! If you're interested, send me a friend request.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    So by reading everything here.. I am on the highest dose and pretty much the highest my PCP has seen.. I take 300mcg daily. I have hashi's as well. My weight has been fluctuating for years and tops out at about 190lbs. To lose weight for me, I have to be very meticulous with calories and weighing food. I also have to adjust my calories all the time as I lose weight... sometimes up and down lol

It is a wild ride but can be done slowly!