Weight doesn't come off as easy after 50!

Options
Hi there. I'm Gina from NY. Have any of you noticed how difficult it is to drop weight after 50.? I am having a very difficult time with this. Some weeks I'll lose 1/2 pd and some weeks nothing at all and this is when I am being strict . Doc says I'm fine do its nothing medically .

Replies

• texxaskid77
    texxaskid77 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I'm in my 30's and it's hard to come off !
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    It could be that you're being too strict. Your age won't have a massive impact on weight loss, it's true that your metabolism slows but not to such a great extent that it would impact weight loss hugely. Are you measuring your foods and drinks accurately on a scale?

Good luck!
  • candy463
    candy463 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info. Gonna go make a nice bowl of oatmeal now with blueberries
  • daveharris54
    daveharris54 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have found that for me, the older I get the harder it is. I do know that I am less active although I feel I stay busy, I take more breaks apparently. Because regardless of what I do, I know it will take more time to lose weight so I have adjusted my thinking and commitment to compensate. I am looking at my journey as a lifestyle change instead of a diet, and so far it is working. I am losing weight and I am not hungry.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    candy463, ignore this:

So much wrong there. "To Lose Weight You MUST Limit Fructose to Less than 15 Grams per Day" Sure, pal.

The comment section is even worse.
  • 65bess
    65bess Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    hello there started this website I lose a few pounds but see happened next week
  • size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 I used to lose 2-3lbs a week now it's 1/2-1lbs demoralising but I suppose it's my fault for being a yoyoer
    Really need a kick up my butt
  • laney4088
    laney4088 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I also feel that after the age of 50 that the weight seems to come on faster. I realize that I need to move more and really watch what I eat. Looking to lose 70lbs!!
  • lynnphipps51
    lynnphipps51 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am in my 51 and dealing with a physical disability so have gained 40 lbs in 10 years...20 from Weight Watchers. Turns out I'm hypoglycemic...less than 15 grams sugar daily and no substitutes. Went from 138 lbs to 171 lbs in 10 years. I read an article about sedentary lifestyles (injured or desk jobs) that may help... stand a couple of min every 45 min/use a standing laptop desk/goal of standing 1/2 the day/walking 10,000 steps per day. The last one, I don't see happening for awhile, but I won't lose weight sitting all day :)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Yes! I have definitely noticed this. I've lost, but it was in no way as easy as when I was younger.
  • ArtistmanJ
    ArtistmanJ Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I did not care about my weight until 2013... I'm 57 now... I was 54 then... with developing health problems. Once I stopped eating hand to mouth from dinner until bed time it came off to the tune of 60+ lbs. I gained a good 15 lbs between last thanksgiving thru new-year... went "off the clock" as it were. But what I noticed all along is that *if* you are able to get a good estimate of your intake and keep to the suggested calorie limit by MFP, then it comes off in fits and starts. There would be weeks where i'd loose half a pound then others where I'd lose one to two pounds. Losing weight with this tool is simple... it's just not easy. The level of exercise will help... as in the more you do the better (up to a point of course!)

I found what worked for me... but the biggest thing that will work for you is not giving up... at least not permanently... give up for a day every now and then, sure.... watch the salt though... went out for mexican one day and was 5lbs heavier the next day... lost it over the next three days by forcing water to flush the salt out. The point being your food can play tricks on you too... persevere! It doesn't matter how fast it comes off so long as it comes off.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

This is just diet woo. Complete garbage. I'm well over 50. For lunch today I had a chicken salad sandwich on white bread. I love carbs. Pizza, pasta, all of them. I am losing about 1 - 2 lbs a week. Tonight I'm having hamburger with potatoes. I eat the foods I love and stay in a calorie deficit. I get my macros and micros in. Now that's science. Health issues are a different ball game.

Edited to add: Also having my diet cola with my lunch.
  • ChickaDee2012
    ChickaDee2012 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi all,

I'm 52 and have 20 lbs. to lose. These days, the scale is very slow to move so you're not alone. Many of us (not all) do experience this, as there's lots of change by this age. The changing hormones of menopause don't help. It's even more compounded if someone has health/medical issues. That said, there are many who have not been affected by age. Everyone is different. I, for one, can't eat lots of simple carbs continuously anymore without gaining weight. Those days are gone. Now just to maintain weight, I really have to limit my simple carbs... which I've accepted, since it's more healthy for me anyway. My motto now is 'slow and steady'... and I don't expect weight to come off in a short time frame like I used to. But I also found what is working for me now, though I wouldn't know if it would work for anyone else. There's so much information and so easy to get confused...but educate yourself and choose an eating and exercising plan that would be best for you. Keep at it, don't give up. Keep things in perspective. And be kind to yourself... because it's not a race.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    candy463 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm Gina from NY. Have any of you noticed how difficult it is to drop weight after 50.? I am having a very difficult time with this. Some weeks I'll lose 1/2 pd and some weeks nothing at all and this is when I am being strict . Doc says I'm fine do its nothing medically .

We have an Over 50 group if you'd like to join.

• candy463
    candy463 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well it's day two for me and I feel better than day one.. Lol.... Less bloating... Started making this natural Ayurvedic tea that flushes out the toxins.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I found after 40 it all went to crap
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    My weight wasn't a problem when I was younger, but I was more active.

I would like to know that since I am over 50 if it may take longer than for others with the same calorie intake/exercise. I have just started back.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    candy463 wrote: »

Yes, annoying. I'm 62 and wish I could go back 20 years and not gain a pound. I'm a classic yo yo dieter and what I've found this last weight gain is that it concentrated on my mid section. I've never put on weight like that before. So, here I am again on MFP, determined to make it work and get rid of what looks like a pregnant belly.
  • Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I found after 40 it all went to crap

I'm 41 and I am at the healthiest weight since before puberty. As we get older our metabolism might slow down, are less active or on medications that effect weight gain. All this means is unfortunately we get to consume less calories.