Treadmill display vs MFP Exercise Database

Options
Hello Everyone,

I've been walking the different programs on my treadmill. You enter your weight before you begin and it gives you estimated calories burned. The programs can vary at any given point from flat terrain at a fast pace to uphill at a slower pace, so its tough to pick something out of the database on MFP. And when I do choose something, it doesn't match up to what my treadmill said. How would you, personally, go about logging your calories. Trust the treadmill, the database, or adjust your time/speed from the database to reflect what the treadmill said?

Sorry if that's confusing! I just want to be as honest with myself as possible and only mark down what I deserve.

Replies

• karaeb621
    karaeb621 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I normally just trust the machine
  • NA_Willie
    NA_Willie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. For the time being I am using whats on the treadmill but everybody is going to tell you to is to get a HRM. I still dont know which one to get though.
  • AEcklar813
    AEcklar813 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I use my Wii a lot and work out with Gold's Gym Cardio Workout. Well, they don't have that in the database. So I just added it in for me and put in the calories it says I burned. I would just trust the machine.
  • paulaercksn
    paulaercksn Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    The best way to track the calories burned is to use a heart rate monitor. I'm guessing you don't have one or you wouldn't be asking, so I would say use the amount the machine gives you. The database can not track intensity of the workout, so can't be accurate.
  • iverayna
    iverayna Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, elliptical and recumbent bike and all are different. So my hubby got me a HRM (heart rate montior) Thats way I go by that instead of relying on a broad reading for calorie burn for MFP or a machine
  • tlems
    tlems Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    In my experience, MFP and the treadmill are both always high, but if you are to use one, I would go with the treadmill and knock 25% off the calories. so if it says 1000 calories burned, i'd enter 750.

As for the HRM, I have a polaris and love it.
  • carrie145
    carrie145 Posts: 297
    Options
    I used to just use what the machine said. But I finally invested in a HRM and it shows about 200 more calories burned than the machine. You might want to think about investing in one if you can. Make sure you get one with a chest strap..
  • qtpiesmom
    qtpiesmom Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Umm get yourself a Heart Rate monitor. I found my treadmill is about 70 calories higher than my HRM and MFP is about 200+ cals over. I like having the monitor so I can use it anywhere and my advice is get one with a chest strap and Polar is one that works with MANY machines out there. I have an ft7
  • 28forever
    28forever Posts: 1
    Options
    I always trust the machine. this website doesn't take into account the incline.
  • jamontagne
    jamontagne Posts: 115
    Options
    I say trust the machine and manually enter the calories here.
  • dougstevens
    dougstevens Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Trust but verify.

Meaning, try a period of time of logging just using one source, let's say the MFP database. Then go for the same period time, try to eat the same foods, and use the machine's reading as your source.

Then determine which works for you the best.

Some may say you should try using a HRM (with chest band) to get a third source.

First how far off are they? 10%? 50%? 200%?
    Is the difference significant enough to affect your metabolism?
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    i put whatever the machine says, it's usually less than what MFP has
  • anthony438
    anthony438 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    If you don't have a HRM, I'd say pick whichever one gives you the lower number
  • michelle_8106
    michelle_8106 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I wondered that too....but then someone told me that you and someone else could do the same workout and you will not burn the same amount.....based on your bmi or something....so I always go by what MFP says.......idk if this is correct info that I have gotten though, I am going to ask my doctor and see what she says! :)
  • Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I just created a new exercise category called "treadmill" and I input my time and calories based upon what the treadmill says. I do a warm up, run and then at least 10 mins of cool down. I enter in the exercise notes portion what I did on the treadmill, i.e. the speed, incline etc. I normally don't eat all my calories back, because the treadmill calories, I take as just a guide, but it works for me. I can't get too scientific with the HRM.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I ALWAYS choose what the machine says vs what MFP says. I feel like the machine has a better understanding of exactly how I've been working out on it than MFP does. I've found, for me, MFP WAY over estimates calories burned on the treadmill.

A HRM is the way to go for a more accurate idea of how many calories you're burning. I know I'd like one - but it just isn't in the budget right now.

The treadmill I use ask for weight and stuff, so I definitely trust them more. :)
  • lawilgus
    lawilgus Posts: 21
    Options
    I agree with the other replies to get a HRM. I personally have a bodymedia fit, which actually tells me all the calories I burn during the day. I sort of disagree with way MFP let you 'add' all these additional calories for every time you work out. Many times that I work out, I still don't have a very high calorie deficit at the end of the day, even with only eating 1200 calories a day...
  • macantrell
    macantrell Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I used to just use what the machine said. But I finally invested in a HRM and it shows about 200 more calories burned than the machine. You might want to think about investing in one if you can. Make sure you get one with a chest strap..

Hmm, I find the treadmill is almost right on with my heart monitor maybe a tad low. I wonder if you are holding onto the treadmill sensors or just going by the treadmill calculation? You can get a standard HRM for pretty cheap on sale at Big 5.
  • kellymarie619
    Options
    My treadmill is a Landis that originally had the HRM attachment when it belonged to my parents. But over the years (as it became their clothes rack) they had lost that part. Now it is mine and I can only use the treadmill's calculations. I do not own a separate HRM.
  • MrsRobertson1005
    MrsRobertson1005 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I have the same question. For the time being I am using whats on the treadmill but everybody is going to tell you to is to get a HRM. I still dont know which one to get though.

Polar is a good brand, I've noticed a lot of people have it and it is what both of my parents use. I'm going to get one next week, not sure which one yet though