Sit ups

Options
How many calories are burned doing sit ups?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Probably not too many, to be honest. It's going to depend on your weight, how many, how long, intensity of sets, etc.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    Not very many at all. A question, why are you doing situps?
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Most likely something along the lines of 1 calorie per sit up depending on your total body weight.

ETA* calculators are showing roughly .2 to .33 calories per sit-up depending on weight.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    Not enough to bother counting or logging
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Not many. I did about 8 mins of dedicated ab work today (after my cardio and weight session) and it burned 30 calories according to my HR monitor.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    As already stated, not enough to be of any significance...
  • rileysowner
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »
    Not many. I did about 8 mins of dedicated ab work today (after my cardio and weight session) and it burned 30 calories according to my HR monitor.

Sadly, HRM are only accurate in estimating calories for steady state cardio, not weight or non-steady state cardio (intervals, circuit training).
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    already stated.. not worth counting, but keep doing them!
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    There are better ab exercises ;)
  • zenjen13
    Options
    zenjen13 wrote: »

Sadly, HRM are only accurate in estimating calories for steady state cardio, not weight or non-steady state cardio (intervals, circuit training).

Yes, I realize that but it's the only metric I have.
    I don't do strength or body weight exercises for the calorie burn anyway, that's what my cardio and eating plan are for.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    not enough to care about.

but I would find another ab workout- sit ups are for all intents and purposes useless.
  • zenjen13
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    not enough to care about.

but I would find another ab workout- sit ups are for all intents and purposes useless.

^^ Totally. And if you're worried about the calories then focus on diet and cardio for now.
  • Ginger7658
    Ginger7658 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm not worried about calories, but I am concerned about my wobbly tummy
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do situps daily for my tummy, works for me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Ginger7658 wrote: »

Situps won't get rid of a wobbly tummy. You're not exercising the layer of fat over your abs by doing situps, you're exercising the muscles which are buried under it. Spot reduction is a myth. The way to get rid of a wobbly tummy is to maintain a caloric deficit and lose the fat covering the muscles.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Ginger7658 wrote: »
    Unfortunately, if you are concerned about your wobbly tummy you will need to be concerned about calories...
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Even when it comes to the muscles underneath the fat, situps are really not that effective. Core exercises like planks, side planks, roll outs, supermans, bird-dogs, will all give better results with much less risk of hurting your back. Having said that, as others has said, to get rid of the wobbly tummy means getting rid of the fat, that comes down to what you eat more than what exercises you do.