Need Spinach Ideas!!

Options
Athena413
Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
So I have a crap-ton of fresh spinach in my fridge and I want to do something with it before it starts getting all gross...anyone have any good spinach ideas? Can I freeze it? Can I boil it down like the canned stuff? HELP!

Replies

• ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    I add it to all my meals. Saute it up as a side dish with some garlic and broth it is yummy.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I like to put it in my scrambled eggs at breakfast. I spay the pan with Pam, add spinach, mushrooms and whatever. Pour the eggs over and some times top with a bit of grated cheese. My favorite Sunday breakfast.
  • cem2168
    cem2168 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    i like to steam it with fresh apricots! Its also great to add to a small bit of pasta to add some extra volume to a meal without adding a lot of calories
  • faithindeed82
    Options
    make a stuffed squash...spinach and low fat ricotta inside...yummmmm
  • katt742
    katt742 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I throw it in everything. Soups, salads, pastas. Plus sauteeing it with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepperflakes--OMG so good!!!
  • mckshowie
    mckshowie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    i put it in my smoothies.
  • dwardkaiser
    Options
    Parmesan Spinach Cakes....
    Ingredients
    12 ounces fresh spinach
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese, or low-fat cottage cheese
    1/2 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese, plus more for garnish
    2 large eggs, beaten
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 teaspoon sea salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

Nutrition
    Per serving: 141 calories; 8 g fat ( 4 g sat , 3 g mono ); 123 mg cholesterol; 6 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 2 g fiber; 456 mg sodium; 560 mg potassium.
    4 servings, 2 spinach cakes each
    Active Time: 15 minutes
    Total Time: 40 minutes

Preparation
    1.Preheat oven to 400°F.
    2.Pulse spinach in three batches in a food processor until finely chopped. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add ricotta (or cottage cheese), Parmesan, eggs, garlic, salt and pepper; stir to combine.
    3.Coat 8 cups of the muffin pan with cooking spray. Divide the spinach mixture among the 8 cups (they will be very full).
    4.Bake the spinach cakes until set, about 20 minutes. Let stand in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges with a knife and turn out onto a clean cutting board or large plate. Serve warm, sprinkled with more Parmesan, if desired.
  • Woodman725
    Woodman725 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I coarsely chop it up and add it to my omelet every morning. Whip it in the egg before you put it in the pan and add a little tobasco or your favorite hot sauce and top it with cheese. Soooo, good.
  • Athena413
    Options
    sauteeing it with olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and crushed red pepperflakes--OMG so good!!!

This sounds AWESOME!!

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. I think I'm going to make some sort of breakfast casserole with some of it, saute some of it, and...who knows what I'll do with the rest. Maybe next time I should think about that before I buy a huge thing at Sam's just because it's a good price! Or maybe I should just get into the habit of eating more spinach salad!!
  • Athena413
    Options

In your smoothies? What else do you put with it? Because that just sounds gross. I usually make smoothies with some protein powder, old fashioned oats, and some fruit...doesn't sound like spinach would go too well with that :sick:
  • cassondraragan
    cassondraragan Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Saute in some olive oil 2 cups of slice fresh mushrooms, when half way done add some minced garlic and cook a couple more minutes. dump fresh spinach in pan with mushrooms and saute until tender. salt according to taste. yum!
  • mwilson57
    mwilson57 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Spinach is great in smoothies! It looks weird, but doesn't really affect the flavor. Also spinach chips are good. Toss spinach with a little olive oil and salt and pepper (or whatever seasoning you prefer) and bake in the oven until crisp. Keep an eye on them though, they will go from done to burnt super quick!
  • Rena421
    Rena421 Posts: 31
    Options
    I made a good salad with spinach this week. Combine spinach, goat cheese, canned artichoke hearts, grape tomatoes, and newmans balsamic dressing.
  • FitCoachJen
    FitCoachJen Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Me too! I steam it first because it cooks down and cuts the bitterness. I can disguise the taste and color by adding bananas and dark berries (blueberry, blackberry, and marionberry are all great).
  • chris6515
    chris6515 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    My kids and I love spinach omellettes. Saute onion in a little olive oil, add spinach, add eggs, toss in just a little sharp cheese--we love feta, but chedder, swiss, and just about any other kind works too. It is delicious. We also make Greek spinach and rice (find a recipe that doesn't use too much oil-we make ours with broth instead) and it is good cold or hot. When we serve it cold we toss in grape tomatoes and cucumbers and just a sprinkle of feta cheese.
  • aircantu1
    aircantu1 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I put it in smoothies too. I buy the organic baby spinach leaves and just drop them into a freezer bag, they freeze just fine and I don't cook them first. I add a handful to smoothies every time. You can't taste it and if you use blueberries or something dark you can't even see it. I used pineapple and mango this morning and even though the smoothie was green it tasted like pineapple. And the color didn't scare off my kids.
  • nkswans
    nkswans Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I love to make spinach into a sauce for pasta. I sautee some onion and garlic in olive oil and then puree them with a bag of spinach and some cheese. I have used feta and mozzarella before and both are delicious. Reserve a cup of pasta water in case the sauce is too thich but I have never had to use it because once it is tossed with the pasta it usually thins out. This is really good and pretty healthy!

This is the link for the actual recipe.
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-spinach-sauce-recipe/index.html

Or you could make spinach pesto using parmesan, nuts (pine or walnuts) pureed.
  • dodd319
    dodd319 Posts: 228
    Options
    I'm always looking for spinach recipe ideas too! These all sound great! Thanks. ;)
  • dodd319
    Options
    I'm always looking for spinach recipe ideas too! These all sound great! Thanks. ;)
  • dodd319
    Options
    Sorry for the multiple posts.