Best at home cardio/ Easy on the knees.

Options
Hi everyone,

I am new at this and I have been working out at home with videos. But I feel like I need more cardio, the problem is my knees. I have bad knees and working out really hurts them. They just freeze up and I can't bend them, this makes running hard as well.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    A good rebounder is fun, low impact and knee-friendly.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Almost any of the home workouts can be self modified.
    I have just done the 30 Day Shred, I don't like the impact of jumping jacks so I did the JJ arm movements with step ups. You could do the same just marching in place.
    Everything can be modified to your personal abilities now, and expanded over time.
    If you find running hard on the knees walk at a brisk pace. There is a difference in muscle usage.

If you are looking for the raised heart rate for calorie burn arms above the head help raise it.

Cheers, h.
  • fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I've been doing XTFMax and find it easy on my knees and I modify it sometimes. I had to stop 30 day shred after a week because my knees hurt. T25 was good and you can modify to make it low impact. I didn't need to modify it for my knees but they're usually not a problem. 30 day shred repeated too many of the same moves everyday for my knees though.
  • scottish_laura_13
    scottish_laura_13 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    try running on a mini trampoline, have you checked that you don't need insoles? also there are youtube videos of low impact exercises to do
  • 3HAVEHEART3
    3HAVEHEART3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I will be sure to check all these out.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I am new at this and I have been working out at home with videos. But I feel like I need more cardio, the problem is my knees. I have bad knees and working out really hurts them. They just freeze up and I can't bend them, this makes running hard as well.
    Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Exercise bike or your own bike set up on a trainer. Cycling (pedaling) is a very low impact movement on the knee, allows you to get lots of cardio in without having to have a knee freeze up.
  • PlumplingQueen
    PlumplingQueen Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone walking videos are great and low impact. I also like Turbo Jam which is a bit higher impact, but very easy to modify.
  • bonnnxx
    bonnnxx Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Check out Fitness Blender, they have some nice low impact/no jumping cardio workouts, and it's completely free.