Charlie Horses in abdomen

Options
Weird topic I know. Just wondering if you experience this? It's relatively new but seems to be happening more and more. I eat a lot of spinach and almonds, potassium rich, however avocado and potatoes not as much. I also take magnesium before bed for sleep. I'm Thoughts? So incredibly painful!!

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what you are talking about - Horses ?
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Seek emergency intervention if you have a horse in your abdomen.

See: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.

That didn't end well.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Increase magnesium citrate to twice a day, decreasing calcium.
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    I've gotten them ever since i had my tubes tied, which was over 20 years ago, and they are really annoying. I am sorry that I have nothing to offer except that I feel your pain. If I move a certain way, or sit wrong, I get them right under my rib cage and when they happen, i literally have to lay on the floor and arch my back to get them to go away. I don't think my issue has anything to do with food.
  • hopeandtheabsurd
    hopeandtheabsurd Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    For those who may not be familiar with the term, charlie horses are a sharp spasm of a muscle, very painful. Commonly happens in the calf muscle but can happen in other muscles as well.

Have you experienced a change in bowel habits or any other symptoms? Are you taking any new medications or eating more/less of any foods? Could you be dehydrated? Any difference in your exercise/stretching routine? Does a heating pad help?
  • Meganthedogmom
    Meganthedogmom Posts: 1,639 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Sometimes I'll get bad cramps in my abdomen after a good workout. That's about it.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    More water and calcium?
  • mean_and_lean
    mean_and_lean Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    For those who may not be familiar with the term, charlie horses are a sharp spasm of a muscle, very painful. Commonly happens in the calf muscle but can happen in other muscles as well.

Have you experienced a change in bowel habits or any other symptoms? Are you taking any new medications or eating more/less of any foods? Could you be dehydrated? Any difference in your exercise/stretching routine? Does a heating pad help?

I'm fairly certain everyone knows what a charlie horse is. I -- and I'm sure the other posters -- have never heard of anyone having one in their abdomen. To me that would just be gas pains.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    High fiber diet could be causing gas. Start keeping track of fiber. 25 grams a day is recommended.
    When I eat lentils I will do gas exercises. Look it up on the internet. Ex: Laying in bed and putting your knees to your chest helps. Make sure you are in a room alone.
  • JensyRN
    JensyRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That was funny..thanks for the laugh!
    cityruss wrote: »
    Seek emergency intervention if you have a horse in your abdomen.

See: There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Fly.

That didn't end well.

• cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    How is your calcium intake? If it is low, it can cause muscle cramps. Low enough and they can be severe.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Could be ulcers. Ask a doctor. Just in case.
  • Char231023
    Char231023 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    Is it pain in your diaphragm? I would get those when I would eat a bowl of cereal with 2% milk. So I stopped eating cereal foe a while. I still get them occasionally but I take some gas x and it goes away.
  • txladybug41
    txladybug41 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I have had about three occasions in the last year where I have experienced "spasms" of this sort. Never had them before. Underneath the rib cage, more lateral to the abdomen mid-section, and believe me they are painful! If you have never experienced one, consider yourself lucky! It is very real and it is the muscle! It's not brought on by gas and it occurs just like the painful ones you get in your sleep in your calf muscle- Very sudden! I am overweight in my midsection and have seemed to have slimmed down more in other areas than my midsection, so the only thing I have thought that brought them on is I have moved a certain way to induce it, like bending to one side to reach something. I think working on posture and strengthening our core and around our abdomen may help reduce these. That is my hope. I need to drink more water everyday and I'm hoping this can help too. Just wanted to comment because I know what you are talking about.
  • JensyRN
    JensyRN Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Yes! Exactly what I mean. It's muscle and not Colin or gas. Just unsure what to do about it!
    I have had about three occasions in the last year where I have experienced "spasms" of this sort. Never had them before. Underneath the rib cage, more lateral to the abdomen mid-section, and believe me they are painful! If you have never experienced one, consider yourself lucky! It is very real and it is the muscle! It's not brought on by gas and it occurs just like the painful ones you get in your sleep in your calf muscle- Very sudden! I am overweight in my midsection and have seemed to have slimmed down more in other areas than my midsection, so the only thing I have thought that brought them on is I have moved a certain way to induce it, like bending to one side to reach something. I think working on posture and strengthening our core and around our abdomen may help reduce these. That is my hope. I need to drink more water everyday and I'm hoping this can help too. Just wanted to comment because I know what you are talking about.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Muscle contracting due to digestion and your muscles aren't conditioned for that? Cramps happens from either lack of electrolytes, water or unconditioned muscle. But to be sure, check with a gastroentrologist.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png