Any other vegans here?

Options
2»

Replies

• Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Hi there.

You can check out my diary or my blog (link in sig) for ideas.
  • Rundad4two
    Options
    Vegan athlete here at age 50.
  • Rundad4two
    Options
    Cody,

Try www.vegweb.com for lots of recipes www.pcrm.org too!
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I would love to find a good substitute for cream cheese, and any other cheese for that matter and mayo. I live in Ashtabula County, Ohio. I don't think there are many places around here. How is buying food online? I've never done it and the concept seems kind of strange to me...

I know of two different cream cheese alternatives - Galaxy and Tofutti...

Tofutti is freaking nasty, so stay away. Galaxy tastes just like I remember cream cheese tasting, and I use it in a ton of recipes on my blog, from breads to potatoes, and everything in between. Definitely try to find galaxy in your area. I know if you go to their website (don't know if off hand, but google "galaxy nutritional foods") they have a store locator, and you can always ask your local grocer to supply it, too!
  • CodyD18
    CodyD18 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Thanks Rundad4two! I'll check those out.

dayzeerock: It says online that they have Galaxy products at Walmart. So that's pretty cool. It doesn't say what products though... so I'll just have to look. haha.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Hey Cody!! I AM!!

Suggestions on things, I ALL fruits... too much actually, so I'm trying really hard to cut back and add more veggies. Maybe you could mix up your selection by adding dried fruits and nuts?? I do apples, grapes, blueberries, organic strawberries, bananas, peaches, grapefruit, oranges, pineapple, melons!! A few protein ideas are Tofurkey deli slices, and Gardein is amazing!! Let me know if you have any questions!! Yay for you going Vegan!! Great job!!

Also, you can make tons of pasta dishes. Don't use jarred pasta sauce 99% have cheese or whey in them. Use tomato sauce. There's an amazing tuna salad recipe... SO good!! Let me find it.... btw I used dijon instead of the other mustard because that's what I had. Mash it all up together, and Yum!!

1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise or pureed silken tofu
    1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
    2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
    salt and pepper, to taste

That recipie sounds fantastic.....can't wait to try it!!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Cody,

Try www.vegweb.com for lots of recipes www.pcrm.org too!
    I use vegweb all the time.....but I have to check out that other site. thanks for sharing!
  • kristin335
    kristin335 Posts: 26
    Options
    I'm newly vegan too! I started about 5 months ago and am amazed by the increase in energy. I also try to stay away from eating too much soy in my diet, which I realize is rare for a vegan. I recently started eating a lot of Quinoa and mixing in any type of vegetables I have at home. Quinoa with raisins or cranberries is also great if I'm in the mood for something sweet.
    I also love Raw Almond Butter with apples or celery as a snack. I probably eat it every day.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions on this board! I can't wait to use them. Feel free to add me as a friend if anyone is interested.
    Kristin
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I'm a lactose-intolerant vegetarian, and my boyfriend is vegan, so because of this about 90% of what I eat is vegan.

I'd recommend www.vegweb.com for recipes. One of the reasons I like the site is because of the comments section - there are almost always suggestions on how to make the recipes healthier and more delicious.

I can sympathise with difficulties shopping, having lived in small town Northern Canada most of my life. As for ordering online, I've had great success with it. I often order from Karmavore, Viva Granola and Vegan Essentials. I've ordered Daiya cheese, chocolate, marshmallows and other food as well as non-leather shoes and belts. Just make sure to purchase a freezer/cooling pack if you're getting something very perishable, especially in the summer. I've never had anything go bad, but better safe than sorry, right?

Go ahead and add me if you're looking for friends. I'm pretty new to the site, so I'm happy to meet new people.
  • SueHerm
    SueHerm Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    YES! I've been vegan for 9 years. (And I'm so gald to find other veg*ns, I've spend some time looking around and the Atkins thread just about made my head explode.)

So, for fruits and vegetables, right now I'm eating lots of grapes (I love them frozen), berries, nectarines, asparagus, artichokes and salads. I also have a green smoothie most mornings. It's made with soymilk, kale, spinach, blueberries, pineapple, banana and flaxseed meal.

Do you have any farmer's markets near you? That would be a good introduction to what's in season, and if anything is unfamiliar the person selling it will be able to tell you about it.
  • amyyellis
    amyyellis Posts: 7
    Options
    I've eaten vegan on and off since I developed a milk allergy five years ago. I'm also allergic to soy. And nuts.

I think that all the meat alternatives are nasty. I eat mostly beans, rice, fruit, and vegetables. And pasta. :)

Anyone have any good bean recipes? I love black bean soup, pinto beans with chips and salsa, and white beans and garlic on bread. But I need more variety. I like simple foods.

I drink coconut milk. :) Its wonderful.
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian more than a decade, often vegan, sometimes a raw foodist.

If you want variety, you have to do the work and investigate. When I became a vegetarian in 2000, there wasn't nearly the amount of internet information there is now. All you have to do is google vegan recipes and turn on your printer
  • bengtso4
    bengtso4 Posts: 10
    Options
    I just joined. Wend vegan a couple of years ago and I have found that my diet is much more interesting and varied than it has ever been. I also like to try to "veganify" my old favorites. But for health AND money reasons, I generally avoid the processed vegan prepackaged stuff. I am going to try to make my own seitan for the first time tonight. And I am gonna eat sauteed with hoisin sauce over a cold salad of brown rice vermicelli, shredded lettuce, carrots, and basil.