soft boiled eggs?

Options
what's the difference between a soft boiled egg and a hard boiled egg? how do you make soft boiled eggs?

Replies

• mbeltran06
    mbeltran06 Posts: 57
    Options
    The only difference is hard boiled eggs are cooked longer. The main way to tell is the yolk of the soft boiled egg isn't cooked all the way. It isn't runny but isn't completely solid either. Hope this makes sense. LOL
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    For me soft-boiled eggs are still runny, but I prefer hard-boiled, for me it's 10 mins from putting the eggs in the pot of water and turning it on, by the time its reached boiling .... well 10 minutes total. is ideal for it to be hard-boiled at my local elevation at least.
  • amyyellis
    amyyellis Posts: 7
    Options
    I love soft boiled eggs. They are like poached eggs, but more work to eat and they feel a little fancier to me.

I have a wonderful How to Cook book that says this...
    Get your eggs to room temperature, and boil your water.
    Add eggs, and turn the stove off (I put it on low)
    Cover, and let eggs cook in the boiling/hot water for...
    - 4-6 minutes for soft boiled
    - 6-8 minutes for medium boiled (my choice)
    - 8-10 minutes for hard boiled

If I need my hard boiled eggs immediately, I get a bowl of ice water. Then I boil the eggs 12 minutes to be sure they're done, stick them in the ice water, boil the water again, stick them in the boiling water for a second, and then put them back in the ice water until they are ready to handle. It makes them so easy to peel!
  • amandavictoria80
    amandavictoria80 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    Firstly, the eggs should be removed from refrigerator at least half an hour before you start to prepare them, as this will bring them up to room temperature. This will prevent them from cracking when placing them in boiling water. Or you could run them under a hot tap for a few minutes.

Secondly, eggs that are too fresh, that is, less than five days old from the packaging date, are horrendously difficult to peel. Therefore, "older" eggs would be ideal for boiling.

Soft Boiled Egg Cooking Times:

- If you are using large eggs, cook the eggs for 4 minutes (for a runny yolk) and 6 minutes (for a only slightly runny yolk)
    * For medium sized eggs, reduce these cooking times by one minute.
    * Extra large eggs, add on one minute.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    thanks that helps!