Yogurts and cereals

Options
This is my first week on mfp and was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best yogurt to buy that can help me with my weight loss and also I eat special K original cereal and just googled that it might not be so great can anyone suggest healthier alternatives

Replies

• GsKiki
    GsKiki Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    As far as cereals goes I like Nestle Fitness whole grain. I would suggest any whole grain cereal tho, just check out amount of sugar. And if you're not buying cereals with nuts in them, also check the fat content, as you don't want extra added to your cereals.
    As far as yogurt, I prefer plain greek yogurt. Low fat yogurts might have less calories, but most of them also have less nutrients, and are filled with sugars and chemicals to keep the full flavour.
    I also never buy fruit yogurts, I make them at home my self from plain yogurt and fruits.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is my first week on mfp and was wondering if anyone can tell me what is the best yogurt to buy that can help me with my weight loss and also I eat special K original cereal and just googled that it might not be so great can anyone suggest healthier alternatives

I like cereal. Generally I look for protein and fiber (they are filling). If the cereal has one & not the other I can supplement. For example ORIGINAL Special K has decent protein, but little fiber. I will eat a bowl of Special K with half a banana sliced on top. Kashi Go Lean (original) has both protein and fiber.

Greek yogurt - I look for lower sugar. Some of the blended ones are higher in sugar than they need to be. I like adding a sprinkle of Fiber One and/or chopped nuts. The fiber and fat helps me stay full.
  • kayms13
    kayms13 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I often mix cereals together--for example 3/4 cup Special K with 1/4 cup Kashi or Fiber One with some berries on top. You get the extra fiber, but I would have a hard time eating a bowl of only Kashi Go Lean. Now in the winter I eat a lot of oatmeal.

As far as yogurt, I just like the taste of some brands over others. Most brands of yogurt are a pretty healthy choice, so I don't think you can go wrong with choosing what you like.
  • sara1302016
    sara1302016 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will have to try at that and yeah I like certain yogurts more than others I'll stick to the ones I like
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will take in to account everything I have just read going food shopping later and will all in mind
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Thanks everyone I will take in to account everything I have just read going food shopping later and will keep all in mind

• CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm not a cereal person because it never fills me up. I feel like I'm throwing calories away on something I don't enjoy very much and that leaves me hungry half an hour later.

However, I love greek yogurt and eat it essentially every day. I buy full-fat fage plain yogurt, because it is unbelievably creamy and rich and since it's plain I can also use it as a substitute for sour cream or sometimes mayonnaise (neither of which I'm opposed to, but it's convenient to have a multi-use food around like greek yogurt). But if I'm eating it for a snack I will mix in jam or honey or something sweet. Another reason that I like to get the plain yogurt is that I can add a different flavor each day and so have some variety, rather than having to eat the same flavor of yogurt until I finish off a large container or spend a lot of money on those little individual yogurt cups (although fage's fruit cups are also amazeballs)

ETA: none of this, specifically, will help with your weight loss - no one type of yogurt or cereal will do that; the key is making sure you're in a calorie deficit. However, something like greek yogurt is high in protein and the full-fat version offers, in my experience, improved satiety and avoids the added sugars in the low-fat versions (I'd rather put in my own sugar ;) )
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I prefer a non-fat, plain greek yogurt. I believe it has the least sugar and most protein of all yogurts. (I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong) But not everyone likes the yogurt that I do. If you are watching your calories and sugar content, you should pay attention to the labels because some yogurts have lots of added sugars.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I dislike the Special K cereals for their typically high sugar and low fiber content. It flies in the face of my diabetic training. You can eat a higher volume of them for their calorie load.

For dieting, the trick is to measure your cereal to make sure you are staying within your calorie limits.

I like steel cut oats personally, with raisins, sunflower seeds, cinnamon, a little Greek Yogurt and maybe a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's a higher calorie breakfast but it is very satisfyingy.
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Thanks everyone I skipped picking up the yogurt but plan in going back and looking through each of the nutritional facts before deciding
  • Gertie011
    Gertie011 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love cereals and yoghurt, I have oatibix, or porridge made with water and a bit of milk, and greek low fat yoghurt. At the end of the day as long as you stay in your calories, its good to eat all different types of food, I cant believe I used to not eat breakfast for years, and would go until 1-2pm before eating, no wonder my meals have been all over the place! Im learning so much on here.
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Yes I would skip meals all of the time by the time evening came I was eating everything I could find I was also a big going out to eat person and bacon egg and bagel lover Coffee with tons of sugar and cream I have done good with keeping away but wish I knew what my best options are
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you have it in the grocery store near you but there's a store brand of yogurt called Carbmaster, it's higher in protein, low in carbs and sugar and really really good. I like it a lot, I can't stomach greek yogurt at all. I'd definitely look for the Carbmaster.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Your best options are foods you enjoy that fit in to your calorie goal. Things that help you hit your macros (the amounts of protein, fat, and carbs your goal includes) and help keep you feeling satisfied and full are good for your general health and to improve the likelihood you'll stick to the plan, but to lose weight, all you have to do is eat less calories than you burn through living and moving.

It's a lot to ask of yourself to restrict your calories AND overhaul all the foods you're accustomed to eating all at one go, and if you wind up feeling hungry/craving your favorites, you're more likely to go back to overeating. So while it's good to pay attention to nutritional content and make healthy food choices, the difference between brands of yogurt and brands of low-calorie cereal aren't so dramatic that you're going to make a huge difference in your rate of loss by changing them all for the "best" options all at once. Focus on tracking what you're eating and meeting your calorie goals first, and make sure you aren't trying to substitute "healthy" foods for everything all at once in a way you don't really enjoy. That way lies burnout.
  • sara1302016
    Options
    You're definitely right thanks yes it could be very overwhelming getting rid of the things I enjoy I've been sticking to my calorie goal and even leave some remaining just in case I'm not calculating correctly
  • sara1302016
    Options
    Msbuzzkillington thank u I will look for it tomorrow one of my biggest issues is didn't really care for plain yogurt or Greek or low fat lol I'm a yoplait kind of gal but want to find something with less sugar
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,863 Member
    Options
    Msbuzzkillington thank u I will look for it tomorrow one of my biggest issues is didn't really care for plain yogurt or Greek or low fat lol I'm a yoplait kind of gal but want to find something with less sugar

Consider buying the plain or Greek, and creating your own yummy mixture with thawed frozen fruit and some jam or sugar (or honey, or apple juice concentrate) - you'll probably find you can make it tasty with waaay less sugar than the commercial mixtures.