I think I have an eatting disorder

Options
I have a bad habbit of putting sugary food in my mouth and then spitting it out, to get the taste and not have to suffer the calories. Is this a eatting disorder?

Replies

• shadows2424
    shadows2424 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I dont know but id say no. Its not like you're starving yourself youre just avoiding high calorie foods. Its a waste of food but i dont see how it could be dangerous.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I have a bad habbit of putting sugary food in my mouth and then spitting it out, to get the taste and not have to suffer the calories. Is this a eatting disorder?

Well I'm in no way qualified to say what is or isn't an eating disorder. However, this is not a normal thing to do with food.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    It is an eating disorder behaviour but if you don't have any other symptoms you probably don't have one. You should talk to your Dr if concerned
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's a form of disordered eating called chewing and spitting. It can get a lot worse and it usually leads to one of the more commonly known eating disorders like anorexia or bulimia. Chewing and spitting along can cause mouth and teeth issues and it can also cause stomach ulcers and things like that because when you chew your brain signels your stomach to start producing stomach acid but without any food in the stomach the acid can irritate the lining.

Advice: chances are your diet is overly restrictive which is why you're craving so much sugar. So up your calories and allow yourself to have some treats once in a while. If you still can't stop after that then maybe seek some help into figuring our why you're so fearful to eat the food.

Good luck to you! :)
  • withoutasaddle
    withoutasaddle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    No. It is a common behavior of many with eating disorders, but the action itsel does not mean you have one. Anorexia is defined by weight alone (not caloric intake). Bulimia and BED include huge binge sessions. Chewing and spitting (c/s) falls into neither of the definitions, and while EDNOS/OSFED is a blanket for most of the rest of those with EDs who don't fall into one of the former categories, c/a is not a requirement. It also does not cause stomach/mouth ulcers- just as chewing (and "spitting") gum does not. That's a myth. What's more, eating disorders are mental illnesses. If your mentality about food is healthy, you need not worry. If your reasons for c/s are because of a bad relationship with food, it wouldn't hurt to see a therapist before it becomes more out of hand.
  • singingflutelady
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Not to be nitpicky but there is a binge/ purge subtype of anorexia. I was in that category. It's not as often as bulimics but does happen
  • withoutasaddle
    Options
    Subtype, as in, if you are below a bmi of 17.5 and b/p its anorexia with b/p subtype. You can also be bulimic with restrictive/anorexic tendencies and a hundred other combinations. Those are just the main groups though ^
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Did they remove the loss of period criteria? I was considered ednos even sub 17 bmi because I never fully lost my period until I was hospitalized and they changed my diagnosis. Funny thing is that I lost my period for a year after I was weight restored. The human body is strange.
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options

Seeking diagnoses on an internet forum is a crazy bad idea. Go see a doctor.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/100766-eating-disorder-support-group

Go talk to these people in addition to seeing a doctor or counselor. You aren't wrong to ask. I'm happy you're asking, it's a sure sign you care about yourself enough to wonder. Good on you. Talk to the people who know best while you wait for your doc appt.
  • reyeswanda151
    reyeswanda151 Posts: 9 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Go talk to these people in addition to seeing a doctor or counselor. You aren't wrong to ask. I'm happy you're asking, it's a sure sign you care about yourself enough to wonder. Good on you. Talk to the people who know best while you wait for your doc appt.

I mean I personally dont think I have an eatting disorder because the only reason i do that is to stay within my calories. It also helps me not to binge eat, but eatting and spitting did seem like a disorder to me. I think I will ask my doctor though.

Thanks for all the info guys
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Sounds obsessive compulsive to me

So yes it is disordered thinking around food

• oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I dont know but id say no. Its not like you're starving yourself youre just avoiding high calorie foods. Its a waste of food but i dont see how it could be dangerous.

There is more than one kind of eating disorder. Starvation is not the only kind.

Chewing and spitting out food can be a sign of disordered eating. There are numerous eating disorders and each one has multiple diagnostic criteria and no one here can say whether you do or don't have one based on a single sentence. You need to talk to a professional (Dr, therapist etc) who specializes in eating disorders to have a proper evaluation.
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    No. It is a common behavior of many with eating disorders, but the action itsel does not mean you have one. Anorexia is defined by weight alone (not caloric intake). Bulimia and BED include huge binge sessions. Chewing and spitting (c/s) falls into neither of the definitions, and while EDNOS/OSFED is a blanket for most of the rest of those with EDs who don't fall into one of the former categories, c/a is not a requirement. It also does not cause stomach/mouth ulcers- just as chewing (and "spitting") gum does not. That's a myth. What's more, eating disorders are mental illnesses. If your mentality about food is healthy, you need not worry. If your reasons for c/s are because of a bad relationship with food, it wouldn't hurt to see a therapist before it becomes more out of hand.

Anorexia is not defined by weight alone, actually. There needs to be an extreme fear of gaining weight and caloric restriction as well.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

I mean I personally dont think I have an eatting disorder because the only reason i do that is to stay within my calories. It also helps me not to binge eat, but eatting and spitting did seem like a disorder to me. I think I will ask my doctor though.

Thanks for all the info guys

What happens after you lose the weight...will you feel the need to continue in order to maintain your weight?

While it might not currently be part of an eating disorder my fear would be that it could escalate in to one.

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    It shows an unhealthy relationship with food but other criteria have to be met to be considered a disorder.
  • withoutasaddle
    Options
    Did they remove the loss of period criteria? I was considered ednos even sub 17 bmi because I never fully lost my period until I was hospitalized and they changed my diagnosis.
    no I don't think so. Not in the old criteria. I know they came out with some new criteria though that doesn't include a weight requirement though- it's a lot more vague on everything. Kinda rediculous.

[
    Anorexia is not defined by weight alone, actually. There needs to be an extreme fear of gaining weight and caloric restriction as well.
    right. Sorry my statement came across that way. There are lots of requirements for each disorder. I meant to mean that if her weight wasn't low enough she medically could not be diagnosed anorexic (one of the simplest most known symptoms). And simple as that. It could still be disordered eating, but she could be rest assured she was not anorexic. Not that it should be assuring, c/a is still a sign of disordered eating....

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Here, this illustrates the changes to the diagnosis for the three eating disorders in the DSM 5. http://www.dsm5.org/documents/eating disorders fact sheet.pdf
  • ReadyWillingEager
    ReadyWillingEager Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think a point is this:
    No, that (chewing/spitting) alone does not mean eating disorder.
    But it is abnormal eating that isn't sustainable
    Also it may escalate which is no bueno!
    I suggest you try to break the habit now :)
  • kimadm4
    kimadm4 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Chewing and spitting can, in and of itself, escalate to the point where it is similar to binge eating disorder or bulimia. Like any addiction or compulsion, it can get worse, drain you mentally, physically and financially. If possible, stop the behavior now and work in some things you are craving. If you can't stop, then get professional help as soon as possible.