Healthi(er) Buffalo Wings - Best Recipes You've Found?

Options

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @WalkingAlong cauliflower has been clocked at $7 a head here in Canada. We need to find a replacement for cauliflower. Like maybe chicken or potatoes.

I paid over $5 for last night's head and still I think it was probably half the cost of chicken wings, by volume. Restaurant wings here are like $1/each. We had probably 15-20 cauliflower pieces of wing size, I'm guessing. (Plus, healthier ingredients do often cost more, sadly. Though not always. You can feed an army on the beans and rice you could buy from one large pizzeria pie.)

I remember when restaurant Buffalo wings were just getting popular and you could get them for 10 cents a wing. Wings used to be a cheap, byproduct piece of the chicken. Now they're like a prime cut, practically.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I totally took that first line out of context.... *blink*'
    But yeah, wings are pricey. I make my own and for things like ]special events, like Superbowl parties, etc, I look for sales in the months prior, and then freeze them. I don't like them deep fried- so I use the McCormicks Seasoning that comes with the baking bag. Still unhealthy, but oh so tasty!
  • MsCristie
    MsCristie Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cooking with a convection oven? My grandma have me one for a wedding gift (ummm a few years ago. It lasted longer than the marriage).
    Anyway, it really crisps without frying. I use it when I make lumpia.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    I really love buffalo wings!

So I use boneless, skinless chicken breast cut into cubes. I dredge in an eggwash, then panko. I cook at 425 until crispy then drizzle the hot sauce, sans butter. I skip the blue cheese/ranch dressing. No it isn't exactly the same as buffalo wings, but it is a pretty tasty, and much less caloric, second.
  • chrissymfred
    chrissymfred Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My daughter and I love buffalo wings, mmmmmmm.

I have been trying different things and have hit on something we both love, although it is not normal wings it is saucy and delish.

I cook some Frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts by simmering them in water for about 15 minutes, then set aside to cool. While the chicken is cooling down a bit I make the sauce, Frank's red hot and butter in the pan I used to cook the chicken. Then I shred the chicken and put back in the sauce and cook it for a few minutes. Then I stuff the chicken in pittas, add some freshly shredded cheese and pop in the oven for about five minutes. So good!!

It really cut down the calories and prep time from making regular wings. I only use about half the sauce and a quarter of the butter I wa using, plus no frying.

The last time I made it I made extra and my daughter ate it all up cold from the fridge the next day. Just the chicken. I have also wrapped the chicken in tortillas, which is good too but we love the pitas.

I like be reading all of these ideas!
  • TheWidowJones
    TheWidowJones Posts: 29 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Take the skin off before making them to cut down on calories.

n1Bu4Gi.gif?noredirect

Debmal77 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    you ate 35,000 calories worth of buffalo wings...???

200.gif

• TheWidowJones
    Options
    You're killin' me, Smalls!

Thank you everyone! That's EXACTLY the discussion I was looking for. As thanks also for the laughs - I wonder if I can count that as exercise?

Looks like I have some experiments to do. I have 2 teenagers more than willing to eat any mistakes.

And the cauliflower- I just can't anymore with that. I'm cauliflowered out.
  • TheWidowJones
    Options
    Heck yeah, I ate 35,000 calories worth of buffalo wings!
    Crispy bone-in wings- 280 calories for 2 Wings. 1 bowl of 8 wings=1,120 calories
    Add blue cheese dressing (chunky blue, not that low-fat gunk!) - 150 calories per 2 tablespoons, and you KNOW you ate 6 tablespoons worth cuz those wings were SPICY! (But you'll pretend it was 2 when you record it.)

1,570 calories., And every day, man, every day, because WingStop is right there on the way home. 10,990 calories per week. Every day for a month? 40,000 calories of tasty wings!

Okay, so I didn't really do this. I had to give up chicken wings after my doctor insisted I go low-sodium. But it's very doable.

• TheWidowJones
    Options
    Right? I have to avoid them completely. But they will be there, at the sportsball party. Taunting me with their tanginess. Leering at me and giving me their saucy come-hither looks. I gotta have some sort of recourse.

Plus. Beer.
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    Emilybites.com has an awesome buffalo chicken eggroll ...I know its not a wing but you put crumbled blue cheese inside the eggroll wrapper and you dip it in blue cheese dressing :)
  • drallion
    drallion Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Okay... Simply thank me now because you are going to love these!!! lol ;) Take your raw wings and soak them in beaten Egg... roll them in grated Parmesan Cheese covering well and comletely...and bake til golden and wonderful turning as needed. Crispy, lovely... Dip in homemade blue cheese dressing...if you have to (blue cheese, worchestershire, sour cream, mayo, garlic, sea salt). Ahhhhh-mazing.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    drallion wrote: »
    Okay... Simply thank me now because you are going to love these!!! lol ;) Take your raw wings and soak them in beaten Egg... roll them in grated Parmesan Cheese covering well and comletely...and bake til golden and wonderful turning as needed. Crispy, lovely... Dip in homemade blue cheese dressing...if you have to (blue cheese, worchestershire, sour cream, mayo, garlic, sea salt). Ahhhhh-mazing.

Sounds good but where's the buffalo? ;)

Honestly I could just eat celery with Franks and blue cheese and be pretty happy. They can pry my sodium from my cold dead hands.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    You could probably do that trick and add the McCormicks' chicken wing seasoning to the parmesan to give it the same 'pop'...
  • TheWidowJones
    Options
    ~headed to Costco to buy 8,200 chicken wings~
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Some chicken breast baked with a little breadcrumbs and then coated with Frank's Buffalo wing sauce (thick and has next to no calories)....not perfect, but would work
  • ewarshaw
    ewarshaw Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Try Mr. Spice sauces. I discovered these after struggling with a low sodium diet. No fat, 10 calories, no sodium, and they have a bunch of flavors. They make you a deal on free shipping and product depending on how much you order (or they used to, anyway). A little pricey, but if you take advantage of the discount and free shipping, it's no worse than what you pay anywhere else for healthy items (which always seem to be more expensive). The Thai sauce is also good.

http://www.mrspice.com/hot-wing.html
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    MFP Forums are a bad influence. Guess what I am having for dinner... :smile:

wyhvamuqm8cz.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

wyhvamuqm8cz.jpg

Looks tasty. How did you cook them?
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    dewd2 wrote: »

Looks tasty. How did you cook them?

http://ahealthylifeforme.com/paleo-buffalo-chicken-nuggets/