Juice cleanse temptation

Does anyone else ever feel really tempted by the idea of doing a juice diet, despite knowing it's a big wet sugary con?
Maybe it's the marketing, maybe it's the brightly coloured bottles drawing me in like a magpie...

I've been on MFP for about 8 months now and have lost nearly a stone, I'm only about 7lbs from my goal weight and I know that what I'm doing is working.
I know that there is really no need to go on any fad diets, the human body already does a fantastic job of 'cleansing' itself, and any weight lost on a juice fast/cleanse/diet will probably bounce right back.

And yet...I got a spam email today offering 15% off a juice cleanse and almost shelled out £25 for four bottles of juice. Thankfully I came to my senses at the checkout when I realised how much solid food I could buy for that money.

But it got me wondering, does anyone else find it hard to resist these quick fix options sometimes, even though you know it's a bad idea? Or am I just a bit weird :s

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    No. I have never been tempted by anything like that. They are completely illogical and a waste of money. I find those qualities repellent.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    km9hqdc0k8ob.gif
    nope.gif 466.1K
  • Duchy82
    Duchy82 Posts: 560 Member
    Uhmmmm no,

Never fancied it myself, worst I did in my years of yoyo dieting prior to mfp was meal replacement which leaves you hungry enough and I can imagine a "juice cleanse" would just leave me hangry.

Rather just eat my food and be patient. I'll go with the saying, if it sounds too good to be true it probably is.
  • KiyaK
    KiyaK Posts: 519 Member
    Have you ever watched Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead? It's all about juicing & how (under doctor supervision) it's great, bla, bla, bla. But the big thing I took away from it was that for the first 3-4 days of the cleanse, the people felt like COMPLETE CRAP.

As in dizzy, starving, angry, literally pooping their brains out, low energy, sad. Complete mess. Most juice cleanses you buy are only going to last a day or 2, so be prepared for those symptoms. Doesn't tempt me one bit after watching that documentary. (I know the doc was made to promote juicing, but it really turned me off of the idea of doing it full time as a diet or "cleanse." I still juice, but I drink it as part of my complete diet.)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    I'm too cheap. Plus I gave up juice about 10 years ago when I did WW and lost 50 lbs. on a plan where juice was too pricey in points terms to bother with.

If you ever want to do a short all-produce diet for fun and health, take that money you save on fancy juices and buy a good blender like a Vitamix and make smoothies, then you get all that great plant fiber that juicing throws out.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Nope. I figure God gave me teeth for a reason.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Nope. I enjoy food way too much. I've learned to be patient in regards to weight loss.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Yes. Not juice specifically, I'm I'm always tempted to cleanse myself of toxins, even though I know there's no science behind it.

If I could really shed 15 pounds in a week by drinking more lemon water (or whatever the claim is) that would be awesome.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Not even remotely
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    Oh dear, sounds like it is just me then!
    Don't worry, I'm not going to do it, the rational part of my brain prevents me from actually going ahead with it :D
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    It wouldn't be Friday if the topic didn't come up so thanks for posting and getting the weekend started.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    No...
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    I don't think I'd ever get into juicing. I like the pulp too much. We were at a restaurant the other day and the menu said that they were serving a new type of orange juice with more pulp and I did a little fist pump. Yes!
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Nope, but i do enjoy juices occasionally.
  • smotheredincheese
    smotheredincheese Posts: 559 Member
    jemhh wrote: »
    I don't think I'd ever get into juicing. I like the pulp too much. We were at a restaurant the other day and the menu said that they were serving a new type of orange juice with more pulp and I did a little fist pump. Yes!

I love pulpy juice! Ironically I rarely drink juice at all so I don't know why I get so drawn in by the idea of a juice cleanse. I think I'm probably just very easily influenced and if someone tried to sell me a vodka cleanse I'd be tempted to try that too :#
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Nope. I enjoy food way too much. I've learned to be patient in regards to weight loss.

This is me, too.

I would last about 30 minutes on a juice diet. Maybe less.
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Does anyone else ever feel really tempted by the idea of doing a juice diet, despite knowing it's a big wet sugary con?
    Maybe it's the marketing, maybe it's the brightly coloured bottles drawing me in like a magpie...

I understand the feelings you get when you read the blurb about what these can do for you.

May I recommend you make yourself a proper vegetable soup? For some reason I always feel like I'm doing myself some good and being virtuous when I have soup I've made for lunch *grins*
  • brittny0627
    brittny0627 Posts: 22 Member
    It's a good idea !!! I did one for I can't remember but I think I did 7 days last year and lost 8lbs and I just felt better. It helped me change a lottttt about my eating habits. I'm actually on day 3 of another one right now and I feel really good. It's not easy the first 2 days ish but now I'm totally fine. I will probably go 15. You should try it and then transition into juice everyday. They aren't joking when they say right after you drink one you feel a burst of energy. Butttttt I would NEVERRRRR EVERRRRR buy one of those pre made cleanses. Noooo. Get a cheap one on Amazon or like Walmart for like 30 or like a semi better juicer for like 50 and make your own. Those pre made are total rip offs so over priced. You could have a juicer of your own and do a like 3- 5 day fast making your recipes. For less money

Good luck
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    It's a good idea !!! I did one for I can't remember but I think I did 7 days last year and lost 8lbs and I just felt better. It helped me change a lottttt about my eating habits. I'm actually on day 3 of another one right now and I feel really good. It's not easy the first 2 days ish but now I'm totally fine. I will probably go 15. You should try it and then transition into juice everyday. They aren't joking when they say right after you drink one you feel a burst of energy. Butttttt I would NEVERRRRR EVERRRRR buy one of those pre made cleanses. Noooo. Get a cheap one on Amazon or like Walmart for like 30 or like a semi better juicer for like 50 and make your own. Those pre made are total rip offs so over priced. You could have a juicer of your own and do a like 3- 5 day fast making your recipes. For less money

Good luck

Its a horrible idea .
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    dwulet130 wrote: »
    Yes. Not juice specifically, I'm I'm always tempted to cleanse myself of toxins, even though I know there's no science behind it.

If I could really shed 15 pounds in a week by drinking more lemon water (or whatever the claim is) that would be awesome.

Why are you tempted even though you know its a bunch of BS?