Yummy soups!!!

Options
mrsbuzz
mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
Anyone have any good soup recipes?? Needing something to fill me up, but not take all my calories!!

Replies

• mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Anyone have any good soup recipes?? Needing something to fill me up, but not take all my calories!!

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    What about the Weight Watchers Garden veggie soup - low cal and I think no fat and it's good if you love cabbage.
  • cwalbrj
    cwalbrj Posts: 61
    Options
    I love the Progresso soups. One can can be anywhere from 160 - 200 cals (vegie types of course, stay away from the chowders)! When its chilly outside, I'll eat a can of soup for breakfast. Warms me up and sustains me.
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hooo i got tons !!!!!!!!! i love soup i think they make a great lunch .. fills you up and low calories !!

leek and potato soup

use about 5 big leek or 6 small ones
    cut up in slices,
    add about 2-3 medium potatoes cut in small cubes,
    cover with vegetable broth (the cube stuff is fine, you can use low salt but it will impact the taste)

boild until all veg are tender,, then blend (i have a hand blender,, very usefull,,,)

you can do the same with just broccoli or cauliflower, or carrots,, with no potatos (need potato with the leek for consistency..)
    just a pot full of whatever veg, cover with veggie broth cook until tender and blend,
    very low in calories,,

vegetable soup..
    get all the veg you can get,
    carrots, leek, potatoe, sweet potato, swede, parsnips, cauliflower, broccoli, ect...
    add a country mix soup (you can buy it in bulk .. or in a bag, its a mix of barley, beans, lentils, ect, most likely will ahve to soak it over night,) cook until tender,, in vegetable broth

cauliflower and cheese soup

cut up a cauliflower in egal bits
    cover with veggie broth and boil untill tender

in a pan melt some butter, and fry some onion, dont let them go too brown
    in a cup mix some wholemeal flour and milk. (about 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 of milk,, )
    add onion and flour milk mixture to the cauliflower, blend
    serve with a bit of grated cheese on top,,

this one has more calroies,, but soooo yummy..its my bf's fav

have fun !!
  • memaw66
    memaw66 Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    I made this on Friday for the first time and it was YUMMY and so easy. I'm not sure of the calorie breakdown but it can't be too bad because I used all light, lowfat stuff.

Chicken Tortilla Soup

Non stick cooking spray
    8 6inch corn tortillas
    Salt
    2 Tbsp Canola Oil
    1 Med. Chopped Onion
    2 cups cooked chicken breast, diced or shredded
    1 can (15 Oz) whole kernel corn, drained
    1 can (15 oz) black or pinto beans (fat free)
    1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes, with juice
    1 can (4 oz) chopped green chilies, drained
    1 package (1 1/4 oz) taco seasoning mix
    2 cans (14 oz) fat free chicken broth
    1 Tbs. Lime juice
    Fat Free shredded cheddar cheese
    chopped cilantro
    Light Sour Cream
    Lime slices (optional)

Directions.
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray baking sheet and both sides of tortillas w/cooking spray. Slice the tortillas into strips, sprinkle lightly w/salt. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until crispy and lightly brown. Set asided.

In a dutch oven or soup pot, heat canola oil over medium high heat. Add onions and saute until soft. Add chicken, corn, beans, tomatoes, chilies and taco seasoning. Stir to combine. Add chicken broth, stir. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir in lime juice.

To serve, place a few tortilla strips into soup bowl, ladle soup over. Sprinkle w/cheese and cilantro. top with remainging tortillas strips. Garnish with sour cream and a lime slice. You can also add avacado to soup if you wish.

Enjoy

Memaw
  • mmcritter
    Options
    I have never calculated the nutritional info, but I feel I have a very good recipe for chicken noodle "gumbo" soup that does a good job filling you up but cutting calories and fat. I usually cook this soup for the next night's dinner as I'm cooking my meal for the night because my hubby says it tastes better the next day. It's quick and easy too!

Marilyn Greenwell's Chicken Gumbo Soup

Ingredients:
    3 - 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    2 - 3 bags Frozen Mixed Vegetables
    1/2 bag of NO-Yolks lowfat wide egg noodles
    Chicken broth, bouillion or base
    Seasonings you like such as garlic powder, celery seed, basil, dill, etc...

In a large stock pot, boi, then simmerl 3 - 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts in about 3 quarts of water until tender. For extra flavor, add some chicken broth, boullion, or soup base (check fat and sodium content here), salt, pepper, garlic powder, celery seed, basil and dill (to taste). Depending upon the veggie mixes I have, I will often add in a half-cup to a cup of Kroger frozen onion/celery mix. This is not only preparing your chicken, but your stock for the soup. Again, simmer until chicken is tender then remove the chicken breasts to cool (so you can pull it apart) and turn up the heat a bit, but don't boil yet..

When the chicken has cooled, turn up the heat, bring it back to a boil and add in
    2 - 3 bags of Frozen mixed Recipe Beginnings Veggies (I use Kroger brand (10/$10 bags) approx 16 ozs each. If I have used the onion/celery mix above, I usually use only the mixed veggies with carrots, peas, green beans, etc. But, if I didn't have the onion celery mix, I use the Recipe beginnings with onion/carrots/okra mixed in.) This will cook 10 - 15 minutes while you pull apart your chicken.

Meanwhile, pull apart, or cut into chunks your chicken breasts, trimming off all fat. I prefer to pull it apart. Once you've added your chicken back to the pot, add in
    1/2 bag of No-Yolks lowfat wide egg noodles cook for another 15 minutes or so, until the noodles are tender, not soggy. Remove it from the heat because the noodles keep on cooking. I usually let it cool and p

I usually cook this in the large pot so I'll have enough for several meals and freeze it in serving size plastic containers so we can take it for a lunch - or heat it up for a night when I don't feel like cooking.

As you can probably tell, it tastes a little different each time, but my family says it's ALWAYS good.
  • mmcritter
    Options
    Correction! :blushing: Instead of: In a large stock pot, boi, then simmerl 3 - 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

It should say
    In a large stock pot, boil, then simmer 3 - 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • Nlongenecker
    Options
    I like the progresso soups that say 0-1 Weight Watcher pts. They are low in calories. I also really like the new V8 Southwestern Corn soup. Its' really filling and is a serving of veggies.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    I have a Chicken Tortilla Soup that I make...made it this week actually.

It's a basic recipe...and you can add the cheese/sour cream as you prefer.

Boil Chicken till tender (about 3 or 4 breasts).
    Leave water/broth in pot.
    Remove chicken and shred. Put back in pot.
    Add 1 can of green chillis.
    Add 1 packet of taco seasoning.
    Add 1 can of salsa.

That's it!

I usually add some chopped/whole jalapenos because I love super spicy stuff.
  • KLS10
    KLS10 Posts: 127
    Options
    progresso light minestrone is AMAZING it has like 200 cals total for he whole can and its pretty much the best stuff ever! try it, youll thank me :) and i think its vegan :) makes it even better!
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I made a cauliflower & potato soup tonight for dinner. This is enough for 6 bowls:

3 medium new potatoes, diced
    1/2 head cauliflower, diced
    1 onion, diced
    1 stalk celery, diced
    1/2 red bell pepper
    1 c water
    3-4 Tbsp. chopped fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp. knorr chicken oxo powder
    1/2 tsp. cumin or curry powder
    salt & pepper to taste
    1/2 c. swiss cheese (light if you can find it)
    2 Tbsp. flour
    1 or 2 c. milk

Put all veggies in large pot, add water, and cook until veggies are almost ready. Add spices and 1 cup of milk. With soup slightly cooled, add cheese and stir until melted. Mix the flour with a little water to form a runny paste, and add to soup to thicken. Add extra milk or water to desired taste and consistency. Enjoy!:love:
  • sunflower8926
    sunflower8926 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    :laugh: bump:laugh: