New and having bad Gout issues

Options
Hey I am brand new to this. Appointed here by my doctor. I have been suffering from bad gout flare ups and have not only lost motivation to treat it but also to work out and try to lose more weight. Unfortunately I am at wits end and am doing what I can to try to get the pain under wraps so I can work out more.

Does anyone have any tips to deal with gout. I have an idea what to stay away from but not being able to afford a dietitian I have no idea what to plan for full meals.

Any help would be great.

Replies

• gohawks1988
    gohawks1988 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Watch your red meat intake and do not take aspirin. Take Aleve or Ibuprofen something that relieves inflammation. Try some cherry juice too, that worked for me. I would see if your doctor can prescribe you Colchicine (sp?) That worked for me when I had flare ups. Haven't had any in a few years. Good luck!!
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    I appreciate the responses....I am new to here and to gout so anything is helpfull. I have noticed staying hydrated is really been helping but non of the pain actually goes away. I am attempting to stay away from pretty much all meat for the time being...and I have been drinking organic cherry tart juice.
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    I think for me bc I meal prep I need to get a menu of what others who are facing this eat on a regular basis.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    Doesn't your health insurance pay for a nutritionist? Barring that, get some books from the library.

Are you on medication?
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Drink 100% tart cherry juice. Trader Joe's sells it for $3.99, more expensive at Wholefoods.
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    MostlyWater - that is something I do not know, but will find out. I was prescribed Alluporinol (sp?) at a high dosage. Couldn't take the Colchicine.

Socajam - I get some at Publix here but yea its like $8.99 for like four days worth. I will def have to try Trader Joes.

• Murano243
    Murano243 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'm not being funny or anything I've heard of Gout before and thought It is a mind thing. My wife has a uncle that told me he had it and asked me to send him Moss from the trees on Hilton Head, Frogmore, and other places in S.C. for it, when I was stationed there. I sent it by the boxes, and still do (vac. home on Hilton Head).
    What does it feel like what happens? I didn't believe it 'till now (darn)

Semper-Fi
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Murano243 wrote: »
    I'm not being funny or anything I've heard of Gout before and thought It is a mind thing. My wife has a uncle that told me he had it and asked me to send him Moss from the trees on Hilton Head, Frogmore, and other places in S.C. for it, when I was stationed there. I sent it by the boxes, and still do (vac. home on Hilton Head).
    What does it feel like what happens? I didn't believe it 'till now (darn)

Semper-Fi

It feels like there are a thousand microscopic, living, pin-shaped, razor-sharp creatures writhing under your skin - usually in the ball and toes of one or both feet - which are slicing through your flesh and bones with each agonizing beat of your heart as the blood courses through your arteries and veins. Any changes in elevation to your feet or even light pressure, such as standing or hobbling along, increases the throbbing pain at least ten-fold. During particularly bad episodes, it is debilitating.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've never had it, but both my brother and my mother do. It's horrible. :( I know that different people have it triggered by different things, so you have to kind of figure out what you ate in the 24 hours before a flare up and eliminate things one at a time.
    My brother's seems to be triggered by weird things, like strawberry soda. It took him a long time to nail down his triggers.
    You have my sympathies.
  • ravinstar
    ravinstar Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just picked up a prescription for Dicolofenac today and will see Dr tomorrow regarding blood results. My flare up was due to a bad week at work, some indulgence in alcohol and fried fish and a twisted foot in the shower. I did not know it was gout and turned up at the Emergency at midnight in extreme pain. Apparently, my icing of my foot every few hours for my "injury" could have been causing the uric crystals to form...making it alot worse.
    Did not know that gout can be triggered by minor trauma or that it could affect the whole top of the foot and not the toes.

Off the crutches now but will be watching what I eat and drink. Surprisingly I have had good weight loss of 5kg in the last 6 weeks on a low fat, high carb...mostly vegetarian diet with walking couple of hours everyday....

Was interested in asking my dr about taking supplements like Milk Thistle, Glucosamine/Chondroitin or Celery Root. Anyone tried any of these? I would be happier taking these than a long term medication to prevent future flare ups.

I have had a history of high uric acid in my blood this is only my third flare up of gout. The last one was six months ago when on holidays.

Jonathan I think your diet needs to consist of whole foods like fruits and vegetables. Avoid soft drinks, alcohol and meat altogether. No junk food or fatty fried food at all.
    Salads and soups are good all year round, with loads of vege...just dont add any meat based stock.
    Banana and tart cherries are supposed to be really good.
    :p
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    My mil controls hers by drinking nettle tea every night.
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    Elizabeth - Thats honestly why I am on here. I have been told to keep a food journal and that was I can start weeding out the stuff I think causes the flair ups.

Murano - Semper FI as well. during a non flare up it just feels week (maybe from not running or doing the gym thing. During a flair up it just throbs with each step. Some days its so bad I take crutches to work. My first flare up was sop bad I though I had a broken ankle and went to the ER.

Ravinstar - Most gout I have learned (for flare ups) are brought on my injury. Mine was a sprained ankle as well and the gout was actually in my ankle swelling up at first before moving to big toe and the ball under it. Is there any way you can send me like a list of what you eat in a week....I know the basics but looking for an outside perspective. Any help would be great.

Runaround - Nettle Tea huh? Never heard of it but will look into that.

• luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    Things I learned when my husband had gout. You already know to stay away from meats and shellfish I assume. But also, legumes (all dried beans), whole grains (yes you read that right), turkey, asparagus, broccoli and most green leafy veggies like spinach, bone broths, as well as anything that has xanthum gum in it, such as most store bought salad dressings.

Try that for awhile (we actually went vegetarian for one month) and once you're clear and pain free you can add back in some of those things and see how you do.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is second nature for me now. No gout, but I prepared meals for a son who suffered migraines and had an exotic list of forbidden foods, and later I learned to prepare meals for my type 2 diabetes (now in remission).

I suggest you base your main meal around the http://www.choosemyplate.gov guidelines, focusing on the foods you ARE allowed instead of the dozens you aren't. It looks like low-fat dairy is in. Nuts and nut butters are in. Fruits and vegetables are in, but "limit your intake of spinach, mushrooms, asparagus and cauliflower to two servings per week because of their purine content, according to UPMC." SFGate
  • jonathanparsons83
    Options
    jgnatca - Thank you!. I will check that site out. Meal planning is hard with this issue because it does restrict so much.