No progress. Kinda depressed.

Options
Hi. I've been working out for 10 days now and I gain weight every single day. I've gained about 5 pounds in 10 days, eating 1500 calories a day and working out every day. I'm 5'2 and 195 pounds and I'm done. I'm depressed from being so displeased with myself and my boyfriend even said that I have to cheer up or hit the road. Not really sure where to go from here. Suggestions welcome.

Replies

• zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Its clear that you don't understand how this works. Your being way too hard on yourself. When beginning a new workout regimen , its common that people will retain water . this will make your scale go up but it's just water retention.
    Another common mistake is not accurately weighing your foods on a food scale. Are you using a food scale for all your solids? Are you measuring your liquids ?are you accurately accounting for the little things like oils, dressings, butter and so on ? These things can often add up quickly and are usually not accurately accounted for by newcomers.

In 10 days what progress did you truly think you would see ? You haven't been at this long enough to even accurately judge If your on the right track or not. You didn't get overweight in ten days so why would you expect to see results in ten days ? Give yourself a break. Start by reading the stickied threads in the beginning of the general weight loss board. These threads will teach you a lot !
  • lyssanstuff1
    lyssanstuff1 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    Its clear that you don't understand how this works. Your being way too hard on yourself. When beginning a new workout regimen , its common that people will retain water . this will make your scale go up but it's just water retention.
    Another common mistake is not accurately weighing your foods on a food scale. Are you using a food scale for all your solids? Are you measuring your liquids ?are you accurately accounting for the little things like oils, dressings, butter and so on ? These things can often add up quickly and are usually not accurately accounted for by newcomers.

In 10 days what progress did you truly think you would see ? You haven't been at this long enough to even accurately judge If your on the right track or not. You didn't get overweight in ten days so why would you expect to see results in ten days ? Give yourself a break. Start by reading the stickied threads in the beginning of the general weight loss board. These threads will teach you a lot !

I weigh my solids down to the gram on a digital scale, and I weight my liquids as well. I know I didn't become a fatass overnight but I was hoping to at least lose an ounce.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" it's pretty much the perfect height ;)

Stop weighing yourself. Just don't. The scale is a tool not an ultimate measure of your success. Find a tape measure and measure your waist, hips (I like to take two measurements one below the hip bone and one above) each thigh and your upper arms. Write them down with the date. Then forget about them.

Now. Focus on moving forward stay determined. Making new habits is hard. Keep moving forward. I promise you will see results. Stay within your calories continue to be active.

(If you really want my advise I would suggest changing your macros to add more protein and do a fit test)

4 weeks from now you can go ahead and weigh yourself and take the fit test again.

You are a capable women. You can do this!
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    You will but you need to give it time. Your being too rough on yourself !!!!!!!
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    I gained weight this week but lost an inch on my hips and 1/2" on my thighs.

The scale didn't tell me that. The scale said I failed, when I clearly made progress.
  • MissyN452
    MissyN452 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with thorsmom01. It's a bit too soon to be writing yourself off as a loser..or not a loser per say. It could be water retention, it could be stress - if you're anxious or frustrated and weighing yourself EVERY DAY to see if you've changed then it's not the best way to be approaching weight loss. You're obsessing over a number. Weighing yourself every day isn't a healthy habit as you can go up and down so much in even a single day.

If after say 3 - 4 weeks of you reading labels, weighing everything, doing your exercise and still don't have results, then maybe see your doctor - you might be among the few people that have a hormonal or physical condition hindering your progress. You could also try a nutritionist and evaluate the kinds of foods your eating - maybe your body needs a different approach to food.

At the end of the day you need to take a step back and look at what you are doing right, and be patient with yourself. 10 days is just too early to jump to the conclusion of failing. Just because you're not seeing progress yet, doesn't mean it won't happen.
  • xXxWhitneyxXx
    xXxWhitneyxXx Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2" it's pretty much the perfect height ;)

Stop weighing yourself. Just don't. The scale is a tool not an ultimate measure of your success. Find a tape measure and measure your waist, hips (I like to take two measurements one below the hip bone and one above) each thigh and your upper arms. Write them down with the date. Then forget about them.

Now. Focus on moving forward stay determined. Making new habits is hard. Keep moving forward. I promise you will see results. Stay within your calories continue to be active.

(If you really want my advise I would suggest changing your macros to add more protein and do a fit test)

4 weeks from now you can go ahead and weigh yourself and take the fit test again.

You are a capable women. You can do this!

This. I stopped using my scale this time around. I'm tired of my hard work and accomplishments coming down to what the scale has to say. I want to look and feel good both dressed and undressed. I will lose weight, however much it may be, and I will workout and when my body gets to a place where *I* am comfortable and happy with it, that is all I want. I don't want to strive for a number I want to strive for my happiness and I don't need a scale for that.
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've been working out for 10 days now and I gain weight every single day. I've gained about 5 pounds in 10 days, eating 1500 calories a day and working out every day. I'm 5'2 and 195 pounds and I'm done. I'm depressed from being so displeased with myself and my boyfriend even said that I have to cheer up or hit the road. Not really sure where to go from here. Suggestions welcome.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say your calories may be set too high. I'm 5'3" and started out at 235 lbs. My calories were set to 1310. I know myself, from past experience, and at around 140 lbs I maintain at about 1400-1500 calories per day. If you see no progress in another week, drop your calories to 1300 a day.

What others have said is also true. Maybe you have an unknown physical issue, like low thyroid, which is making it difficult for you. Maybe you're retaining water from exercise, or maybe stress, or time of month. There are many reasons the gain could happen.

Really though, you must relax and just keep moving forward. You need to commit to the process, and it's a long one. Many times the scale is going to go up, or stay the same, and you'll have to use other methods to track your success. Are you clothes feeling looser? Do you feel better? Are you losing inches? Can you do more physically than you could before? The scale is only ONE way to measure success in weight loss and overall health. Breathe, relax, and take steps to change things if you are stuck for more than a few weeks.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    ^What Thorsmom01 said is very solid.

Also, ten days is nothing. Do that routine for three months, weigh yourself every day first thing in the morning, log it, and then compare the start and end. If it's trending in the right direction, good, keep at it. If it's not, you're making some kind of food measuring error. So you can correct that, and then continue.

Do not be discouraged. This stuff comes down to basic arithmetic.
  • L_Master
    L_Master Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Weight loss is wierd sometimes. Expecting to see results after a mere 10 days on the scale isn't realistic and shows a lack of understanding of how it works.

First off, if you're new to exercise it's common to retain a little more water as your muscles do things like store more glycogen. This gain can easily be several pounds, and even at a rapid weight loss weight of 2 lbs/wk can completely obscure or even show the opposite of weight loss.

Now, on to the good news! You say you're weighing your foods, so assuming you are doing that for everything you consume, there is no question you're in energy deficit @ 1500kcal/day. You are emptying fat cells. Likely if you took measurements you would already have noticeable progress.

The extra water retention is probably a large part of why you haven't seen the scale dip after 10 days. The second culprit is also...water retention. Women are more subject to it than men as a general rule, and some women just around their cycle find they flucuate by 5-10lbs...which is enough to block even a month of weight loss. You might find you're one of these people, and in this case it's really only meaningful to compare weights taken at similar times of your cycle.

Beyond that, water retention is just different in people. I get it bad. When I started losing again back in December my scale didn't budge a lb for almost 20 days (68.2, 67.8, 67.6, 67.9, 68.2, 67.9, 67.8, 68.1, 67.9, 68.0, 67.7, 67.6, 68.0, 67.7, 68.1, 67.7, 68.3) then all of a sudden over the next two days I went 67.1, 66.2, 65.2. Which is going from 149.5lbs to 143lbs in just 3 days. Obviously I had been losing the whole time, but some people seem to empty fat cells and then store water in them for a while until one day....wooosh! and drop several pounds+ over a short period.

Takeaway here is keep the diet dialed in, add in some measurements, and stick with it for 3-4 weeks...you'll notice a big difference by then.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    At the beginning, it is good to take measurements and pictures.
    Be kind and patient with yourself. :)
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Try 1200 calories a day. Eat healthy food. Have you heard of intermittent fasting? Try that. You should lose about 1-1.5 kg a week and please cut back on your training routine. Do a full body workout twice a week and do steady pace cardio . Your workout should be 30 % weights 70 % cardio.
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Don't eat 1,200 a day. It will destroy your metabolism. No one should eat that little. It will set you up for failure. Especially if you are eating way more. It's too drastic.
    And don't do steady state cardio. After 20 minutes or so (depends on the person) your body will start to burn muscle. You need your muscle. More muscle means a higher metabolism.
  • crittergirl222
    crittergirl222 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Give it more time. It is frustrating, but remember; you are changing your lifestyle, not "crash dieting". See what happens after a month or two. You can do this. And if your boyfriend isn't supportive, don't put yourself around him. You are more important than that.