BOOZE

Options
I generally have good will power and results until i fall off the alcohol wagon, i dont enjoy just cutting it out completely as i enjoy a tipple, and i just end up going on a binge after weeks of abstinence, does anyone manage to incorporate alcohol into diet and still loose weight (i dont mean 7 days a week i mean drink on weekend without sabotaging the weeks hard work of exercising and being low calorie)

Replies

• llbrixon
    llbrixon Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I have added a Coors Lite (1) prior to my evening meal. I am a very light drinker, so this drink can last over an hour or more. Sometimes, I will have more than 1 drink, but this is very seldom occurrence. Just remember, alcohol is taking place of real foods in your diet. It is a choice you have to make for yourself. How much are you really to sacrifice to become healthy?
  • ClosetBayesian
    ClosetBayesian Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I generally have good will power and results until i fall off the alcohol wagon, i dont enjoy just cutting it out completely as i enjoy a tipple, and i just end up going on a binge after weeks of abstinence, does anyone manage to incorporate alcohol into diet and still loose weight (i dont mean 7 days a week i mean drink on weekend without sabotaging the weeks hard work of exercising and being low calorie)

I will have two glasses of wine on Friday nights and two glasses on Saturday nights, on the weekends I do decide to drink. I compromise with what I eat elsewhere in the day so they fit into my overall calories (maybe skip the bread at dinner, something like that).
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Carry Over - Unused Calories From Past Week
    ^^ That is my entry for allowing myself tequilla and pretzels along with a movie on saturdays. It's on the MFP food log database.
    I look forward to it. I had a bad problem with liquor. This helps. Open diary.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

I will have two glasses of wine on Friday nights and two glasses on Saturday nights, on the weekends I do decide to drink. I compromise with what I eat elsewhere in the day so they fit into my overall calories (maybe skip the bread at dinner, something like that).

I'm similar to this - I used to drink almost certainly more than I should but I started only drinking on the weekends. Not drinking midweek has had the additional benefit of reducing my intake of snacks, since I tend to have less willpower about snacking when I drink. I eat at a higher deficit during the week so that I have several hundred additional calories to spend on alcohol on the weekends, and just keep an eye on my weekly calorie average.
  • clevelandkat40
    clevelandkat40 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    As others have noted, I can usually figure out how to allocate calories for alcohol if I want it (and I do enjoy a nice craft beer, a snifter of brandy, or a glass of wine). So that's not really the issue. It's more about the willpower, or lack thereof. Even after a couple of drinks, I'm much more likely to mindlessly snack and regret it later.
  • dwulet130
    dwulet130 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a deal with myself: I'm allowed to drink my exercise calories. So if I go for a run and burn 250 calories, I can have 2 glasses of wine or 1 beer, etc. It helps me consider if I really want/need that drink, and stops me from grabbing a drink the second I get home from work.
  • namelesshere
    namelesshere Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Figure the caloric count for your favorite drinks. Decide ahead of time what you are going to have and how many. Do enough exercise to gain the calories to "earn" those drinks. Me, being of the lazy sort have decided that alcohol is not worth the energy I would need to expend to negate the effects. :smile:
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    I drink maybe twice a month. For me, the key is to have ONE drink, maybe two. I also choose lower-carb drinks, like tequila.

Any more and I tend to want to eat all the quesadillas. And empanadas. And arepas, covered with melted cheese. Basically, my drinking self really wants all the carby cheese-covered things. :)
  • Squirrel698
    Squirrel698 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have 5 ounces (or 141 grams on the scale) of red wine every night. I consider it good for me, helps my gut, helps my heart, plus it reduces stress, which is helpful for just about everything. I've been losing weight just fine with it. I consider those 125 calories part of my daily total.
  • bendyourkneekatie
    bendyourkneekatie Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    Beer and wine on the weekend hasn't stopped me losing weight or getting fit. I just work it into my calories, along with chocolate and icecream.
    One of the upsides of weight loss is I'm now a lightweight...
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    If I know I'm going out drinking on the weekend, ill usually bank around 200 calories a day the week prior.
  • dopeheathen
    dopeheathen Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I am an alcoholic trying to quit and I consume roughly 1200 calories a night just from drinking. I didn't consider it to be a problem until I started logging everything so I have been trying to taper myself off.
  • inglysh731
    inglysh731 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Wake up at 6am, grab a big cup of coffee and hit the bike hard for 20-30 minutes on an empty stomach. 10 minute soft pedal, a quick shower and a shot of whiskey will start the day off right EVERY. SINGLE. TIME.

Can't drink all day unless you start in the morning.
  • ElizabethOakes2
    ElizabethOakes2 Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like a couple glasses of wine for dinner on weekends. We're going out tomorrow night, so I 'banked' some calories for it, (figure I'll walk them off tomorrow anyway).
    A weekend splurge won't kill your diet.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've learned I don't do well with sugary drinks. Martinis and margaritas down in 5 seconds ready for another. Especially martinis. Damn you, Bar Louie Happy Hour! Lol. I switched to wine for the most part. Sangria then on to sweet red and eventually dry red. Dry red I can sip and sleep lol and drink less. And better for me. And doesn't lower my food inhibitions as quickly. Another alternative is the light or skinny versions, but they still go down fast.
  • Fatrick011
    Fatrick011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love beer and have given up all other grain products in order to keep the brew in my diet. Liquid biscuits!
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    katem999 wrote: »
    Beer and wine on the weekend hasn't stopped me losing weight or getting fit. I just work it into my calories, along with chocolate and icecream.
    One of the upsides of weight loss is I'm now a lightweight...
    ^^This! (Although I don't drink beer, I drink cider instead) drinking alcohol occasionally has not hindered my weight loss at all. It can be incorporated into the normal daily calorie allowance or calories can be 'banked' during the week to save for the weekend.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I drink a couple of times a week. I bank calories for these occasions and look at my weekly calorie goals versus my daily calorie goals. I've lost nearly 30 pounds and it's not been an issue.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I am an alcoholic trying to quit and I consume roughly 1200 calories a night just from drinking. I didn't consider it to be a problem until I started logging everything so I have been trying to taper myself off.

I think I was an alcoholic also. I tend to "binge drink" when I do drink, so I just had to cut it completely out. Binge drinking leads to binge eating. No Bueno. I haven't drank any alcohol since Thanksgiving and I'm feeling better. I'm better able to control my cals and appetite. Wishing you luck.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I drink while losing weight. I just make it fit into my calorie goal. If you like to drink a lot on the weekends, then save up some calories during the week so you have more designated drinking calories on the weekend.