Help! Muscle soreness..

Options
Hi ya'll!
I admit - yesterday was my first training ses, true, so maybe it's worse than after a few that "I get used to it" - but gee! I can't sit down or stand up properly! And when it comes to especially low seats (you know ">> I don't needa spell it all out for ya do I?) It's a nearly impossible task.. The pain and tightness in mostly in my thighs, since thats what we focused on this time.

I wanted to ask you guys who are more expirienced than me - what are ways to relieve this soreness? Since Ill be doing training twice a week at some point, and it'll be quite tough to do anything for 4 days a week with the soreness - and if I have two workouts clash, thatll be even worse ^^" (also have to do cardio at home, so yah..)

Any help will be appreciated!!!

Replies

• tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Well first of all if it's actually pain it means you did something wrong.

Now if it's just extreme soreness that's just a good workout. There isn't a ton you can do. Drinking lots of water will help though. Also I would start stretching before and after working out.

The biggest soreness I get is usually my legs and what helps me is some walking and then stretching the day after.
  • TriMama12
    TriMama12 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Though it seems counter intuitive, the best thing to do is to keep moving a little bit throughout the day. Get up every hour and walk around the room and stretch a bit. The worst thing you can do is to keep very still all day. Drinking lots of water will help, plus then you'll have to walk to the bathroom 97 times ;-) A warm bath or soak in a hot tub will also feel good.

If you're really in a lot of pain, you probably went too hard. Dial it back a bit for the next session.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    Foam roll before and after your workouts.
  • fishgutzy
    fishgutzy Posts: 2,807 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. adductors were really tight a couple days after my last leg day. But at least my quads were not dead.
    Just had to lightly stretch every day until it passed.
  • gatsbygirl99
    gatsbygirl99 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you need to pace yourself. Try not to over do it. But keep in mind that about two weeks (14 days) of a new workout will produce aches from lactic acid. Drink water, buy some Epsom Salt and Aspercream! Take soaking baths with Epsom Salt and use the Aspercream like body lotion. They are life savers!
  • KMiYong
    KMiYong Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    TriMama12 wrote: »
    Though it seems counter intuitive, the best thing to do is to keep moving a little bit throughout the day. Get up every hour and walk around the room and stretch a bit. The worst thing you can do is to keep very still all day. Drinking lots of water will help, plus then you'll have to walk to the bathroom 97 times ;-) A warm bath or soak in a hot tub will also feel good.

If you're really in a lot of pain, you probably went too hard. Dial it back a bit for the next session.

Thanks! I move as much as I can, I also have to get up every so often because of work, and I did walk some today - shopping and stuffs. The soreness is just sticking.. its kinda funny because I feel funny when I walk and sitting and standing up just make me laugh because my legs wont listen xD

I do keep drinking all the time - which is why I did run to the bathroom about 97 times today, and then some ;)

No pain! Just soreness, really! I can feel the muscle all tensed up when I massage it ^-^

Sadly I cannot do soaks - will hot showers be enough? I have no tub...

Ill look for aspercream!
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    As the other poster said, keep moving. It will go away eventually. And, BTW, this is one of the problems with many programs, it takes people from 0-60 overnight, they get sore, feel like crap because they can't keep up, and then quit. Don't quit. If you can't keep up, don't quit. If you're sore, don't quit. Go for a walk, get out, do something, but don't quit.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Let your trainer know. While some people like to be sore--and I've had people tell me this--personally I don't think it's at all necessary. Your trainer should be able to pace you and progress you appropriately.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Light activity tends to temporarily make things better. Massages and gentle foam rolling also help a bit. Ultimately the only real cure is time. Keep in mind that the actual strength of the muscles suffers when you feel DOMS, so it's best not to attempt the same intensity workout on the same muscle group while you are still in pain.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Drink extra water.

Purchase or use the gym's foam rollers. It's basically like giving yourself a massage.

Do some light cardio or walking- I find that the elliptical or a walk helps to loosen me up, and less sore.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    foam roll, keep moving, walking, keep the blood flowing to those muscles to help them heal. And why was your trainer just focusing on your thighs? A good trainer is gonna focus on full body and general fitness, unless you are training for something specifically, which is odd for a first training session. As you get used to the training , you wont be getting sore like you do in the beginning.
  • ChristinaOrr65
    ChristinaOrr65 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Lots of water as most everyone has said, and I love epsom salt baths. Since you don't have a bathtub I believe you can get magnesium gel to put directly on your skin. I have never used it, but since that is what is in the salt I can see how it would work. I use supplements post workout to help with inflammation and soreness, as well as to help with lean muscle development. There are a lot out there you can look into, but right now I am using Liporidex POS/T, and I really notice a difference.
  • benboyd85
    benboyd85 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    You can look up stretches or yoga moves to help with your soreness. I also like foam rollers, but be sure that you are using one correctly, or it can make things worse.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love muscle soreness from a good workout. The advice is good, keep moving, stretch, drink water. Keep pushing yourself!
  • KMiYong
    Options
    Hey guys, thanks!
    I found my newest hobby is keeping walking - the ore the better :) Also wearing heels was a bad idea, but we had a rainy week and my only boots have heels... Next time I'll wear flats and it'll make my life easier :)

I told my gym - they said it's a sign the workout is working, and all I can do is just rest, take warm showers, and massage, and move as much as I can. Hopefully my body will get used to this soon and it'll become easier for me, and if not, I'll get used to dealing with it ;)
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    foam roll, keep moving, walking, keep the blood flowing to those muscles to help them heal. And why was your trainer just focusing on your thighs? A good trainer is gonna focus on full body and general fitness, unless you are training for something specifically, which is odd for a first training session. As you get used to the training , you wont be getting sore like you do in the beginning.

Well, the focus wasn't really only on the thighs, it was both arms and thighs (weights), but so happens my arms are stronger and did better ^^" It also was a very short workout so we couldn't get the whole routine in. Next time will be better - they know what they're doing :)

Also, as everyone said, I drank as much as I could!

Thanks all! I'm better now, having woken up Thursday morning and feeling like new again :) (I did have a good ol' walk a night before, and a good portion of healthy meats - maybe that also helped? I eat lots of proteins all week long)
  • claredange
    claredange Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have no solution but just wanted to say i feel the same today. First workout yesterday and everything hurts! I can actually feel my muscles getting tighter by the minute. Keep going, you're doing great.
  • KMiYong
    Options
    claredange wrote: »
    I have no solution but just wanted to say i feel the same today. First workout yesterday and everything hurts! I can actually feel my muscles getting tighter by the minute. Keep going, you're doing great.

First of, congratz!
    The soreness just went away for me and it feels amazing to feel human again XD
    Just try to wear flat shoes (unlike me), and take all the advice up there ^
    Good luck!!!!
  • TankTop1231
    TankTop1231 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You know what? Wear that soreness like a badge of honor!

Lots of water and lots of stretching is the key.

One of my favorite stretches is from the Bikini Body Mommy You Tube Series. You can watch her videos for free. Look for her 3.0 challenge, day 2 should have it. It is what she calls a "swirl." Amazing leg stretch.
  • zenjen13
    zenjen13 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    claredange wrote: »

I've been reading this thread with interest bc I was in try exact same boat! I did my first weight session with FitnessBlender and my legs were killing me! I thought I was doing my arms but I guess all those compound movements did my legs in. I don't have any solutions, I had a hot bath with Epsom salts, drank tons of water and walked instead of going hard on the elliptical. I don't like the soreness but I LOVE the weights, can't wait to get stronger!
  • GrumpyHeadmistress
    GrumpyHeadmistress Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Ditto. First strength training sessions yesterday (leg press, squats, step ups and box squats) and my legs are KILLING me today! I seriously could do very little today. Hopefully I'll be less sore tomorrow! Sadly I don't have a bath so can't do that.