Weighing in....

Options
So, as day 30 approaches since my last weigh in, I'm anxious about stepping on that scale. Does anyone else feel intimidated about weighing in? I know if I don't see change, it's going to be a big setback for me. I've been working so hard this month. I'm afraid I'll let the number get the better of me and I'll lose my motivation.....

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Is there a reason you only weigh once a month and not once a week or every other day or so?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day. Then once a week, I record it.
    At any rate, it does not matter much whether you are up or down. Keep following your plan. :)
  • joinn68
    joinn68 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Yep. I am scared of the scale. One of my first symptoms of gaining weight (not eating properly and not exercising) is when I don't want to see the number on the scale. Weigh yourself and come and report your success. If you followed the process and we're accurate your body will follow. If not it'll be time to re-evaluate not to be discouraged.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Me too. If I don't step on the scale, I get scared of it. So I weigh every day. I'm not scared of the scale now. Fluctuations are to be expected. One day's up or down won't make or break my progress.
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    If the scale did not move as fast as I would like, it was enough for me to quit and say it's not worth it. I hate the scale!! This time I don't give it that much power. I now exercise, stay in my calorie budget and trust the process. I feel so much better with just the exercise and eating better that I really concentrate on those feelings. I do weigh myself once a week now and I'm not as anxious anymore. I know weight loss is not linear. Trust the process!!! You can do this. :)
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself weekly, but when I didn't see much weight loss, I'd give up. I know part of my problem is that I'm just too much "all or nothing." So this time, I've decided to try a monthly weigh in. I feel like I'll get less discouraged that way.... so long as it shows some kind of loss. 2 days to go and then I can report my progress!!!

Shannon
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Thanks for the support! Today I finally did my monthly weigh-in and was surprised I lost 8.6 pounds in the last month! Between your kind comments and the scale being so cooperative, I feel GREAT!!! Now, I just need to decide what my reward will be when I lose my first 10 pounds! I've decided to reward myself for every 10 I lose. Ideas???

Shannon
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I don't really care about the numbers. They are just arbitrary. I can see I am getting smaller (and the measuring tape confirms that). I can feel I am getting fitter and stronger. I know my clothes fit much looser. Numbers are just numbers.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your loss.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support! Today I finally did my monthly weigh-in and was surprised I lost 8.6 pounds in the last month! Between your kind comments and the scale being so cooperative, I feel GREAT!!! Now, I just need to decide what my reward will be when I lose my first 10 pounds! I've decided to reward myself for every 10 I lose. Ideas???

Shannon

How about clothes? Once you go down a size or two you will need them anyway, so buy your new body a present
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    Thanks, CollieFit and sndrd49! I was actually in-between sizes 16 and 18. I'm hoping I can fit back into my size 16s for our Valentine's Day dinner tonight! *crossing her fingers* We have reservations and a babysitter. It will be nice to get for a little alone time together with my hubby!

Shannon
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Reward yourself with a new pair of lovely Nike trainers that are in the sale (that's what I did)!

• Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    New shoes sounds like fun, or maybe another pedicure! I don't know about you, but when I get a new pair of flashy running shoes, it puts me in the mood to hop on the treadmill and put them to good use! ;-) Waiting for Day 60s weigh-in. I hope I'll be below 200 by then!

Shannon
  • maidengirl_
    maidengirl_ Posts: 284 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    I weigh once a week just to check my progress and see where adjustments can be made to my diet/activity. So far, I have lost 12 pounds in 60 days.

Try taking photos every 2-4 weeks if you dont like to weigh in. Pictures dont lie!
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    It's not just the scale. You need to tape yourself as well, too. My weekly check-in, "The Sunday Showdown", checks for not only weight but also:
    neck, waist, hips, chest, upper arms, abductors, wrist, forearm, thighs, as well as some of the cooler features of my scale which offers measurements for:
    body fat percentage, visceral fat score, skeletal muscle percentage, body mass index, resting metabolic rate, and body age.

So honestly, you aren't getting the full picture from one number alone. I do recommend taping or fat calipers, and a high-tech scale.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Options
    I used to do the measurements, but I haven't bothered this time around. I know they say muscle weighs more than fat, so it's hard to gauge just by the scale. I probably should take my measurements so I can see other forms of progress.

Shannon