Been in a weight loss plataeu for about 5 weeks now?

Options
This is long, sorry!

To start off I am very overweight, 5' 3" and currently 250lbs.

I have been watching my calories/exercising for quite a while now. My starting weight was 263lbs on 8/31/15, and I managed to drop down to 245lbs by 12/19/15. This was all during my fall semester at college. I came back home for winter break on 12/18 and, admittedly, there was a week where I went off my plan and didn't eat well once I got back. (12/19-12/26) I weighed in on 12/26 and I was 5 pounds heavier at 250lbs. I was shocked and disappointed in myself, of course, but continued with healthy eating.

Weeks have gone by and I'm still at the same weight. I've been sticking to a healthy calorie range (eating no less than 1,400 calories a day and no more than 1,800) with no results. At first I thought it was a water weight gain due to me being close to that time of the month (I even took some diuretics since I felt pretty bloated) but even after my period my weight didn't budge. This past week, I looked up some plateau tips and decided to work out more. (I was working out about 3 days a week so I upped it to 5) Still didn't make a difference in my weight. (got on the scale this morning)

A few other things:
-Over this break I've been looking at my nutrition log and trying to eat more protein, since at college I would almost never hit the recommended amount.
-I've also been having issues with on-and-off constipation for about 3-4 weeks, since I've started eating more protein.
-This past week I tried taking some fiber supplements and trying natural constipation remedies, and my bowel movements have been more regular.
-My winter break is long. I don't go back to school until 2/7. So, in general, since being at home I'm more sedentary than I used to be. I'm exercising, but just not moving around as much.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    If you WENT off plan, then it's NOT a plateau. A plateau would consist of 6 weeks or more or CONSISTENT CICO and/or exercise with no weight movement.
    You're likely in a stall and that may take a couple of weeks or more to break it. Be diligent with accurately measuring your food and calories and instead of doing MORE exercise, increase the intensity. In other words, if you're walking, walk faster or wear a weighted vest. If you're doing lifting, add more weight and reduce by a rep or so. And be consistent.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Try what my dietician suggested: Take 100 calories per day off your suggested daily amount, exercise, and don't eat back exercise calories. Worked for me.
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau I try planning my next couple days of food and try to eat the exact same thing during those days. Once I've done a couple days of the same thing I have a good idea of my weight fluctuation and then I start modifying certain aspects of my diet (eat my biggest meal for breakfast, drink more water, change macros around etc )

Usually that helps me spot certain foods or diet tendencies that stop me from losing weight
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    do you use a food scale?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    The lower daily activity, despite working out more, may have lowered your overall daily calorie burn average. So now eating 1400-1800 you're at maintenance. (And if you're not using a food scale, you're probably eating more than you think. So what you think is 1400-1800 could easily be 1900-2400.)

Try increasing your activity level AND sticking to 1400-1600 calories in. Being more active outside of exercise is not a bad thing. Jog in place while watching tv. Walk to do errands instead of drive, if possible. Make yourself get up and stretch occasionally when you'd normally be sitting.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Whenever I hit a plateau I try planning my next couple days of food and try to eat the exact same thing during those days. Once I've done a couple days of the same thing I have a good idea of my weight fluctuation and then I start modifying certain aspects of my diet (eat my biggest meal for breakfast, drink more water, change macros around etc )

Usually that helps me spot certain foods or diet tendencies that stop me from losing weight
    Plateaus are a rarity. People will STALL if they're off or inconsistent and getting back on track will help, but a plateau happens when someone has been consistent for 6 weeks or more (eating the same exact way) an NO weight movement (up or down) registers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tara_means_star
    tara_means_star Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Plateaus are a rarity. People will STALL if they're off or inconsistent and getting back on track will help, but a plateau happens when someone has been consistent for 6 weeks or more (eating the same exact way) an NO weight movement (up or down) registers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm curious...is it normal for people to stall for a month or more even if their calories are spot on? If so, do you just wait it out or change stuff?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm curious...is it normal for people to stall for a month or more even if their calories are spot on? If so, do you just wait it out or change stuff?

I had a few stalls of 3-5 weeks or so when I was losing weight. During those times I *think* I was on-plan (only eating out once a week, weighing all food, double checking database entries, etc). I waited it out each time and resumed weight loss.