Weighing self on the daily?

Options
2»

Replies

• Jonna13
    Jonna13 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. Helps me see fluctuations during Ovulation and my TOM, also keeps me accountable on a daily basis. I think it's fine to weigh in daily (same time of day, after "doing your business" etc.), as long as you don't get frustrated or discouraged with temporary weight gain like water weight.
  • haviegirl
    haviegirl Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I weigh at least three times each day, and only keep the lowest one. I love having all the data and seeing how my weight fluctuates with my food/water intake and activity. Last week the scale didn't move at all, despite my very close food tracking and only eating back about half of my exercise calories, so I knew I was due for a nice drop. And poof! On Monday, the scale finally reflected the previous week's hard work. All the information, plus my hard work, keeps me going in the right direction. I'm motivated by it.
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh daily and log daily too
    It helps to keep me on track - if I keep loosing daily it makes me want to continue and if I do put on (luckily only happened twice) it gives me the kick up the bum to continue and re evaluate what I'm eating.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I've always weighed daily and as a result I now know the difference between "this is just your period calm down" and "I've not been logging well I need to tighten up". So no scary "but how could I not have lost!" moments because I can estimate with pretty good certainty whether the scale weight is valid today or just a result of AF.
  • bunnycheekz
    bunnycheekz Posts: 10 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I weigh myself daily first thing in the morning. I record it on the My Fitness Pal app in lbs as well as with the photo recording on the app. Helps me to see where i was, where i'm at, and where i'm going to be eventually. Good luck everyone! :)
  • gfjay
    gfjay Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, but only track losses. In an average week I only have a loss on 2 days (3 at the most). Even though I have more "bad days" than good on the scale, I've lost a significant amount of weight over the last 7 weeks. If you can be focused on the long-term and not get upset when the scale shows a gain, then weighing daily can be very motivating. If seeing an increase freaks you out, then weekly is probably better.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Body fat doesn't change more than a few ounces each day, so even if scales only measured body fat and not water (which they don't) weighing daily, for me, is as productive as watching water boil. I'm ok with twice a week. :+1:
    becleaux wrote: »
    I've found that when I weigh myself everyday or every second day it keeps me far more motivated and reminds me why I am doing this (to be able to feel better physically and mentally).

If you're trying to feel better physically & mentally, how about tracking that daily? ;)
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    Weighing daily is best (more data is always good) but so many people get emotional over it that people hesitate to recommend it.

If you only weigh twice a month, say, and you're at the bottom of a five pound daily fluctuation range for Weigh Day 1 - and then at the top for Weigh Day 2? Cue the MFP posts about "It's not working, I'm frustrated, I'm gonna quit!"
  • alizesmom
    alizesmom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm a daily weigher because I find the information essential to keep me on top of my game. Not weighing feels like the first step to not logging. I guess I'm one who likes structure.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    I'm a data geek, so I've weighed daily for years (and recorded the result), even before trying to lose weight. I think that let me start on MFP with an excellent understanding of what makes me add water weight, and when it's likely to drop off. I'm also completely unfazed emotionally by fluctuations; I only worry about trends.

These days, I log my daily AM weigh-in in a trending app (Libra, in my case), and new lows in MFP.

If you think about the full spectrum of Women's Health's (or like publications') articles, not just about weight but also appearance, dating, etc. . . . well, it starts to seem like maybe they're targeting a core readership that may not always be entirely mature, level-headed, or commonsensical. People who are emotional about scale readings for these or any other reasons probably should weigh themselves less often.

Ignore WH, do what works for you.