Healthy and low-fat on a strict budget??

Options
Just curious if anyone out there knows of any good low-fat, low sodium and low carb recipes for very strict budgets?

Replies

• jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Fat isn't bad for you.. I eat up to 150g of fat a day and usually hover around 9-12% body fat. So sorry, can't help you there, if you want low fat low carb, grill yourself up a piece of chicken and steam some broccoli to go with it.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    No way around it; protein is more expensive per calorie than fat or carbs.

Home cooking does give you ultimate control over your sodium, and you can cook inexpensive and healthy meals. Cheaper than any prepared or take-out foods.

Is there a specific dietary requirement that demands protein over fat and carbs?

Beans and legumes are high in fiber and cheaper than other sources of protein. You can have them in soups and stews; inexpensive comparatively.

Cheaper cuts of meat like chicken thighs are rich and tasty.

For vegetables, try frozen. And there's nothing wrong with the lowly potato instead of the exalted cauliflower.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It does not make sense to go low carb and low fat and leave only protein. Eating low fat protein leaves chicken breast, shrimp, eggs, sirloin.
  • cristalina95
    cristalina95 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I am eating healthy on a budget but personally am opting for a balanced and clean approach, not completely eliminating any one group, even carbs and fat! :) One of my favorite things for a pre-workout food is a slice of wheat toast w/ creamy peanut butter, banana slices & cinnamon.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Low carb and low fat do not go together. Try low carb, high healthy fats! Much better!!
  • beautifulwonders59
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not wanting to completely eliminate anything (except for maybe the junk foods and soda), just cut back on the more fatty foods. Right now I'm trying to loose weight as well as begin eating a healthier, more balanced diet.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm not wanting to completely eliminate anything (except for maybe the junk foods and soda), just cut back on the more fatty foods. Right now I'm trying to loose weight as well as begin eating a healthier, more balanced diet.

If you eliminate the junk food and soda (and "convenience" food), buy in bulk, cook from scratch, you will should have a decent budget for nutritious foods and balanced meals. Whole chicken is a great source of inexpensive protein. You can make stock out of the bones and soup the next day.
  • beautifulwonders59
    Options
    Ideally, that is what I'm working up to. Right now, we are living with my parents and my mother is in charge of the shopping. She doesn't see anything wrong with the food she buys and heaven forbid anyone tell her any different Lol. I will find a way to manage until this summer when our own home is finally ready!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone out there knows of any good low-fat, low sodium and low carb recipes for very strict budgets?

It's not generally considered a good idea to do both low fat AND low carb. Most low carbers eat relatively HIGH FAT diets.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Your body needs fat to properly utilize the protien you are consuming.

Fat is really important. For far to many reasons to list. A low fat diet is not good for you and outdated medical advice.

Mmmm peanut butter ...
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I recommend eggs.

Veggie omlets etc.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Foods with fats: Avocados, cheese, tuna, salmon, sardines, almonds, dark meat chicken.
  • MKEgal
    MKEgal Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    Here's a cookbook put together to help SNAP (food stamp) recipients make the most of the small amount they're
    given. Yummy healthy recipes, great photography, a nice departure from the usual bland government output.

https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf
  • OzarkLady76
    OzarkLady76 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    MKEgal wrote: »
    Here's a cookbook put together to help SNAP (food stamp) recipients make the most of the small amount they're
    given. Yummy healthy recipes, great photography, a nice departure from the usual bland government output.

https://8e81c55f4ebf03323905b57bf395473796067508.googledrive.com/host/0B2A2SnkA9YgxaHdzbEhGSmJOZDg/good-and-cheap.pdf

Thanks for sharing this resource.
  • beautifulwonders59
    Options
    I guess I meant like low not-so-healthy fats Lol. Like the kind you find in frozen convenience foods. That's pretty much all my mom buys and gets very upset if we try to get healthier foods.
    Yellowon02 wrote: »
    Your body needs fat to properly utilize the protien you are consuming.

Fat is really important. For far to many reasons to list. A low fat diet is not good for you and outdated medical advice.

Mmmm peanut butter ...

• beautifulwonders59
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
    MKEgal wrote: »

• OMP33
    OMP33 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Rice, bread, bananas, corn, potatoes, sugar, and legumes. That's about as cheap and as carbed up as you can be.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Do you have a crock pot??
    Make vegetable soups with dry beans!
    Cheap and good!
    U don't need to soak the beans.