Finding it hard to fit exercise into my day!

Options
Help any suggestions?!

Replies

• danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Workout at home for 30 minutes using DVDs or free videos online. I recommend Fitnessblender.com. Prioritise it. Good luck. x
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Just make it work. Get up earlier, stay up later, do a quick work out (eg check out 12 minute athlete for ideas), work out in front of the TV, walk to work etc. Everyone is busy, you have to prioritise it.
  • ck763074
    ck763074 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fit in 10-20 minutes or push-ups, crunches, planks, running, jump rope, standing squats, yoga etc before you usually shower in the morning/evening. These are things that can be without the gym, and you don't have to shower twice in a day from working out. It's all about making it work for you, but you have to prioritize it. It's understandable that not everyone has an hour+ to go to the gym everyday.
  • eliaus3640
    eliaus3640 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I found I could fit workouts in if I did meal prep and cooked the week before and had freezer meals ready. Not having to cook frees up lots of time
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    What's your normal daily routine?
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself about what you will and won't do. For example, I'm not a morning person, which means no matter how many times I set my alarm for 5:30 I'm not going to get up. I prefer working out in the afternoon or early evenings so I accept that and make the time. I'm also a scheduling person so it goes on my calendar.
  • bisky
    bisky Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I had just read this and posted it in my journal.

Best Workouts for Weight Loss
    What's the best workout for losing weight? The workout you'll actually do. The more you like it, the more you'll do it. There. Off you go to your workout.

My favorite is hiking... a nice hike up a mountain with my dogs and friends. I do like lifting weights and feeling strong but hiking just is good for the soul and body.
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Just do it. I'm sure there's time somewhere early in the morning or instead of watching tv during primetime exercise during that time.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    why?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    What's your normal daily routine?

Please answer this. A couple stock answers:

* everybody is busy
    * where there's a will, there's a way
    * do it before or after work
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I don't know your daily routine, so I'm not even gonna go there, except to say @jemhh is right.

There's other things you can do to increase your basic activity as you work up to plugging an actual structed timed workout into your day. Walk more: park at the absolute dead end of the parking lot everywhere you go. If the parking lot is small, park in the parking lot across the street. Window shop as often as you regular shop. Walk the length of your local mall and check out all the stuff you'll fit into if you make this work. Watch TV standing up, and putz around your living room while doing it. Don't email your coworkers, go talk to them in person (this is also a great networking technique btw, people like you better if you're not just a screen name). The elevator/escalator is not our friend, stairs ARE. You can increase your general activity level without jumping right into a scheduled structured workout program. Nothing against them, they're great, I'm doing one, but it took getting moving in regular daily life to get me there.
  • tnm7760
    tnm7760 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    First, determine what is making it hard--we might be able to offer better suggestions...
    1. Schedule is so full that you need ideas to creatively fit it in.
    2. You hate exercise and can't find motivation so you keep putting it off even though you'd like to improve your physical fitness.
    3. You are putting it off because you don't know where to start.
    4. You don't really want to exercise but feel you should.

• Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    jess199007 wrote: »
    Help any suggestions?!

Why do you think it's hard?
  • cJOYv6881
    cJOYv6881 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    When I started MFP, I knew I would have to make some changes and sacrifices. I have given up a half hour of Netflix/tv every day in order to fit exercise in, and honestly, I think it was one of the best things I ever did!

I also do little things throughout the day, in addition to my regular work-out. When I'm making supper and waiting for it to cook, I jog in the living room. When I pop something into the microwave to heat up, I run up and down the stairs until it beeps. Unless I'm very wrong, I don't think exercise has to be a big production that needs to be planned and scheduled and prepped for, it just means being more active than you were before.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I workout on my lunch break. Or at night after my kids go to bed, before I go to bed. Sometimes both.
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I used to use the excuse that I did not have time to exercise - working 11 hours a day, taking care of a toddler, spending time with husband, cleaning, etc, etc. Plus, I teach so I also have to do work past my contract time.

Then I got serious about losing weight and found time. I made it routine that after the dinner dishes were in the dishwasher I exercised. It meant a little less TV time, but that was the trade off I made. It gives me the energy I need to do the other things I need to do each night to prepare for the next day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Hard to tell without knowing your schedule, but do you watch TV? Get a stationary bike and hope on it when you watch TV.
  • tasaiar1
    tasaiar1 Posts: 79 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I have 2 babies. So the gym is out of the question.
    I Do squats/ wall pushups/jog on spot/stretches in the shower and whilst waiting for the kettle/microwave to finish.

Basically I try to fit anything in 1 or 2 minute intervals where I'm waiting for something. Because at the end of the day "waiting" is time being wasted.

a few minutes here and there add up to at least 20 minutes

Even when waiting for the bus. I walk around the bus stop whilst tightening my glute muscles. :)
    We all need to just prioritise
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    In a majority of cases eliminating some tv.or other screen time opens up all kinds of possibilities for exercise
  • a4chase1
    a4chase1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I find time like this: Sitting doing laundry I do crunches. I sit on the edge of the couch, lean back at a 45* angle and pull one knee at a time to my chest keeping my abs tight and engaged. I do 10 reps at a time sines I'm sorting and folding. I also do leg lifts (to the back and side 10-15 reps each) while brushing my teeth and when I'm making dinner in the kitchen. I do squats in my shower while washing my hair. There's plenty of opportunity to workout and hit trouble areas. Heck! I also do 20 push-ups when I get out of bed in the morning and inclined ones on the edge of my tub before bed. If you sit at a desk you can do torso twists, just keep your abs tight and engaged and you'll feel the burn.