Average run times?

Options
Today I ran outside for the first time since getting started back on my fitness journey. I have been using the treadmill. I ran 6 miles just over one hour. What is the average time for running this distance? I feel like this was probably really slow since moving outdoors from the treadmill.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Average of everybody in the world?
  • acarmon55
    acarmon55 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    No I guess I should have put in am 38 female 5'10 152 lbs. So is that a good average or should I goal to make that a lot faster. I don't run in races and was just curious what kind of goal I realistically cam set for myself.
  • katherinebarcaskey
    katherinebarcaskey Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    That is kind of vague, but for a woman that is pretty good time, and about what I average being a regular runner.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    Thanks that helps. Just wondering if I am on track or should push to a faster time or keep time and go for longer distances
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    If you havent already, get a phone ap like run keeper it will track your average pace and how far ect. With 6 miles in an hour would be 10 minutes per mile...which is good in my opinion. It depends what your goals are in running. A 10k? Half marathon? Everyone has different goals and what thier average pace is.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not sure what average is but a lot of folks I run with consider me fast yet I regularly get my *kitten* kicked by 60-70 year olds in races. And I am 47. :blush:

Don't worry about how fast your are. Just enjoy yourself. A runner is a runner at any speed.

Good luck.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    I never have ran a race and I don't think I have a desire to run in a race. I just like to run and push myself to new personal goals but didn't know how to compare my results with others...am I doing good to add more miles and/or speed? I felt good after today's run. I do use S Health on my phone for running that tracks milage, pace and everything, but forgot to stop it after my run and it ran while I was stretching and cooling down so the numbers are skewed for today's run.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »
    Not sure what average is but a lot of folks I run with consider me fast yet I regularly get my *kitten* kicked by 60-70 year olds in races. And I am 47. :blush:

Don't worry about how fast your are. Just enjoy yourself. A runner is a runner at any speed.

Good luck.

Thanks for the encouragement! ☺
  • gdyment
    gdyment Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    In a big charity 10k race you would be smack middle just over an hour. 50-52 minutes for 10k would be a good goal that's not super hard but requires some work.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »
    In a big charity 10k race you would be smack middle just over an hour. 50-52 minutes for 10k would be a good goal that's not super hard but requires some work.

Thanks that helps a lot. I will shoot for the 50 minute mark over the next several weeks.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    If you really want to know you can search the web and get an idea. I found it before. However, I agree with dewd2. Thinking about this right now as soon as you just transferred to outdoor running might only set up you for running too fast and injuring yourself on a new surface.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    acarmon55 wrote: »
    I never have ran a race and I don't think I have a desire to run in a race. I just like to run and push myself to new personal goals but didn't know how to compare my results with others...am I doing good to add more miles and/or speed? I felt good after today's run. I do use S Health on my phone for running that tracks milage, pace and everything, but forgot to stop it after my run and it ran while I was stretching and cooling down so the numbers are skewed for today's run.

Miles yes, speed no. Add miles slowly over time. Add no more than 10% to your weekly totals. Don't worry about speed right now. You will naturally get faster as you run further. Purposely trying to run faster when you are just starting out leads to injuries.
  • acarmon55
    Options
    dewd2 wrote: »

Miles yes, speed no. Add miles slowly over time. Add no more than 10% to your weekly totals. Don't worry about speed right now. You will naturally get faster as you run further. Purposely trying to run faster when you are just starting out leads to injuries.

Well noted. I will just increase distance the next several weeks and hope the speed increases on its own. Thanks for all the input.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What is the average time for running this distance?

The answer really is it depends. For races around here you'd be in the middle or in the back half of finishers, for a training run you're in about the right place, as a new to the real world runner.

Runners do't run at the same pace all the time, a reasonable training plan will encompass easy paced work, as well as faster race pace work.

Notwithstanding that, the 10K is a decent training distance.

The best way to compare yourself to others is to race.
  • mingle287
    mingle287 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Until I get mud butt.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    gdyment wrote: »

Thanks that helps a lot. I will shoot for the 50 minute mark over the next several weeks.

You might want a more realistic goal than taking off 10 minutes in a few weeks...
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I just like to run and push myself to new personal goals but didn't know how to compare my results with others...

There will be heaps of woman of your age faster than you, just as there will be heaps of women of your age slower than you. This line of enquiry is totally arbitrary and probably unhelpful to your progress. As long as you beat your own previous PBs, that is where your progress is. Unless you ARE racing, how other women do in your age group is neither here nor there.
  • erimethia_fekre
    erimethia_fekre Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    It's about your average, not our average. Me, personally? I've been running for 15 years competitively and my time went from over an hour to about 45 minutes.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    A 10 minute mile is a great time for your first outdoor run, treadmill and outdoor running aren't the same as anyone who does both can tell you. Just pick a goal and work towards it and find a pace you are happy with and enjoy the runs!