Easy to peel hard boiled eggs, just add baking soda.

Options
I love HB eggs, but until the last year or so we hardly made them because they were such a pain to peel. My husband learned about putting baking soda in the water when boiling the eggs and WOW! they cook great and are super easy to peel. Now its easy for me to have nice HB eggs for a grab and go breakfast or to add to salads, etc. Enjoy!!

Things You'll Need
Eggs
Saucepan with lid
Water
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 tablespoon baking soda

Instructions
1 - Place the desired number of eggs in an empty pot. Make sure you use a shallow pot so that water will completely cover the eggs.

2 - Pour cold water into the pot. Cover the eggs completely with at least 1 inch of water.

3 - Add 1 tablespoon of salt and 1/2 tablespoon of baking soda to the water. The salt helps the proteins in the eggs coagulate, which means they become firm and are more likely to seal if they crack in the pan. The addition of baking soda aids in removing the shells from the eggs when they finish boiling.

4 - Place a lid over the pot. Bring the water to a boil over medium-high heat.

5 - Turn the heat off once the water boils. Keep the pot on the warm stove top with the lid. Leave the eggs in the hot water for 10 to 15 minutes. Do not time the eggs until the water starts boiling.

6 - Remove the pan from the stove top. Run cold water over the eggs to stop them from cooking. Allow the eggs to cool completely before you begin peeling the shells.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5874002_boil-eggs-baking-soda.html

Replies

• sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Oh, man. I hope this works. I hate to try to peel eggs. :grumble:
  • ❤B☩❤
    ❤B☩❤ Posts: 634
    Options
    Thank you for posting!
  • runnermel
    runnermel Posts: 278
    Options
    good to know! try to have two of them every day
  • cmg4721
    cmg4721 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    i will have to give that a try...thanks :D
  • cread12
    cread12 Posts: 41
    Options
    bump
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    Also...the fresher the eggs the harder they are to peel. Not saying to eat off eggs mind but week old eggs are better than day old for peeling
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    bump - finally!
  • starr68
    starr68 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That is a great tip. My son like to have devilled eggs when I have a backyard bbq, but I dont make them anymore because of how hard it is to peel the eggs. I will try this for sure.
  • PeachyKeene
    PeachyKeene Posts: 1,645 Member
    Options
    I always just run cold water over my boiled eggs and they peel easy everytime.

I have also heard you can pour a little vinegar in or a tablespoon of baking soda.

Never tried the vinegar or baking soda because cold water always worked.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Good tips.

I skip the salt and baking soda. Just put the eggs in a cold water bath after they're cooked and peel them underwater. Works like a charm.
  • omgsaleslady
    omgsaleslady Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    bump
  • kirstyfromscotland
    kirstyfromscotland Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    i love hard boiled eggs but i dont find a problem peeling them, i bang them on the bottom where the air pocket is and it peels easy but nxt time im at work in the cafe ill put some in and try because sometimes i am peeling 10 at a time, thanx :bigsmile:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I saw a video of this on YouTube - the guy didn't even peel the egg. He tapped each end of the egg on the counter and removed a small piece. He then blew the egg right out of the shell!

I'm gonna have to try this (he used 1 teaspoon of baking soda - no salt) - I'm sure the measurements are different for more or less water though.
  • Mixmode
    Mixmode Posts: 332
    Options
    Mine always peel easy. I cook mine on high but not highest and once done I cool the pot with cold tap water and let them sit for a short period. I also let the water level drop half way while cooking cuz I fill the pot with eggs (7) so there is little room left at the top and the water will boil over.
  • mystilee
    mystilee Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Also, older eggs are easier to peel....buy them a week or so in advance of boiling. Fresh eggs are the worst..... My Great Aunt gave me that tip and it really really works!!!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I always just run cold water over my boiled eggs and they peel easy everytime.

I have also heard you can pour a little vinegar in or a tablespoon of baking soda.

Never tried the vinegar or baking soda because cold water always worked.

I do the cold water thing too and when I drain it off to peel them I usually put the lid on the pot and shake it this cracks the shells and they come right off - I learned this years ago when I worked in a restaraunt
  • RunningMs
    RunningMs Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    You can also easily peel eggs with a teaspoon. Hold the "eating" side facing the egg and gently move the spoon under the shell.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Some really good tips here, never tried the backing soda but I'm going to. It does seem like the fresher the egg the harder it is to peel, and the cold water helps a lot.
  • lexcoulstring
    lexcoulstring Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Cool tip.
    I always remove the boiling eggs and put them quickly in Ice cold water which seems to makes peeling a breeze. Also found brown eggs harder to peel than white.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Thanks for the tip! Will try this tomorrow.