Crushing Sweet Cravings

Options
So, I'm doing pretty good at sticking to light choices. Protein shake for breakfast, tuna for lunch; fruits, veggies and yogurt for snacks. But around 7 or 8 every night after dinner, I'm getting this insatiable craving for something sweet! Incredibly tough when you're trying to stick to a healthy diet! Any helpful hints or ideas??

Replies

• ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    So, I'm doing pretty good at sticking to light choices. Protein shake for breakfast, tuna for lunch; fruits, veggies and yogurt for snacks. But around 7 or 8 every night after dinner, I'm getting this insatiable craving for something sweet! Incredibly tough when you're trying to stick to a healthy diet! Any helpful hints or ideas??

Have something sweet? What's the problem?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    Stick with it and the cravings will subside. Maybe find a tea (London/no caffeine) that tastes wonderful to you in the meantime?
  • efsrous
    efsrous Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Personally, those cravings don't go away for me :/ I just make sure I have 200-300 calories left over after dinner for something sweet.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Make room in your calories for something sweet every night?
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    Make room in your calories for something sweet every night?

Pretty much this.

And the cravings may not go away. However it doesn't matter if they do or if they don't. If you want something sweet have something sweet.

Almost everyday I have a handful of jellybeans. 140 calories. No big deal.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Cravings do not disappear for me either. :(

I would either save room for some treats if you can. If you do poorly at moderating sweets consider reducing sugars and carbs - some people find that helps.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Fruit, if you are bound and determined not to eat candy... Or candy if you are bound and determined not to eat fruit!

Just leave room in your daily plan for something at the end of the day! Here is one I like: Peel a banana, chop it into 6-8 pieces, and freeze it! They make a tasty treat!

If you have a powerful blender, or a food processor, chop the banana smaller, and once it is frozen, blend it, and you will have "ice cream" add berries, peanut butter, or whatever to get different flavours.
  • QueenofHearts023
    QueenofHearts023 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Work some into your diet, so it's not so restrictive. Also, at night is usually when I get into drawing or video games. So find a hobby that keeps your mind focused and away from food.
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I'm the same. Most of my other junky cravings have died long ago with healthy eating, but SWEETS.....oh, my body still loves sweets. For me, the sweet cravings never subsided like people say.

I just plan calories for dessert every day after dinner. Sometimes it's healthy, sometimes it's not. I see nothing wrong with having your dessert. ;)

Dessert teas are also an option if you're running out of calories. There are quite a lot of interesting ones out there, including creme brulee and black forest chocolate cake.
    Or dessert gum.

Some people squash sweet cravings with high quality, high % dark chocolate.
    Personally, it doesn't work for me, but maybe it'll work for you.
  • srujana_kanneganti
    srujana_kanneganti Posts: 63 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Here is one I like: Peel a banana, chop it into 6-8 pieces, and freeze it! They make a tasty treat!

If you have a powerful blender, or a food processor, chop the banana smaller, and once it is frozen, blend it, and you will have "ice cream" add berries, peanut butter, or whatever to get different flavours.

+1

This seriously can make an incredibly decadent tasting dessert. My favorite is adding cocoa powder--end ups like a frosty. Can even throw in some protein powder.
  • bellabonbons
    bellabonbons Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    Denying
    something you love isn't going to work. If you try to deny yourself it's going to be very tough and you'll probably end up over eating or binging. Just try to leave enough calories at night to have something really sweet and really delicious so you don't feel deprived. You can do it!
  • zira91
    zira91 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    I find that cravings do not disappear for me either! if i didnt get a hand on that pastries/cake/dessert, i end up waking up tomorrow still thinking of it.. ha. That wont do at all.

just like what others have said above:
    Just leave some room of your calories for that sweet stuff u craved for! :smiley: yummy!
  • Nickers5405
    Nickers5405 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It's probably just a habit?

It'll take awhile to actually stop so you can eat something sweet like other people said, or trying kicking the habit.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I don't usually eat breakfast, but I woke up today with an irresistible desire for some biscuits. Sure, I could have had fruits, bananas, tea, whatever, but in the back on my mind I would still have this petty party that I haven't had the biscuits I so desired. So here is what I did: I dusted off a digestive pack hidden all the way in the back I had almost forgotten about, made a cup of the best coffee I have ever tasted, and savored the moment while I sipped on my coffee and slowly enjoyed every single bite of two digestives. And you know what? I'm comfortably full now (because I'm not used to breakfast) and all the food anxiety just went away. Sure, I'm 150 calories shorter, but I feel so good that I don't think I will need them anyway. I planned to have fried fish today, so now I will just have it roasted, effectively making up for the calories I spent.

There is nothing wrong with allowing yourself a bit of the higher calorie things that bring you joy, sweet or savory. Just portion out some calories for your evening sweet snacks and you're good.
  • Anne_R91
    Anne_R91 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I take an evening walk or go to the gym in the evening, because for me too the craving are at their worst in the evenings when I'm tired and watching tv.
    Also love to drink lots of tea. :) I have a camomile tea with honey flavour that is really good for my cravings and has barely any calories.
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I make myself 2 big mugs of tea and add canderel to make them really sweet. If I still craved after them, I would probably eat something extra sweet like a tea spoon of jam!! If I start a chocolate bar i have to finish it, so jam is a quick fix 'go to' for me . Good luck X
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    One more thing, I usually go through phases of craving things, not necessarily sweet (last week it was eggplants). When I'm in one of these phases and my cravings happen to be sweet, I make a trip to the shop to buy an individual serving of something. If I'm willing to walk all the way to the shop for it, then it's worth the calories, if I'm not, I know I will forget about it after a short while. My go to are usually flutes, small kitkats, flakes, small m&m's.. etc. I buy one and enjoy it, not much harm done and it only costs me 50-100 calories, about as much as a piece of fruit.

• WyldRoots
    WyldRoots Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    Gum. Gum-gum-gum. I will chew half a pack if I have to lol.
  • emmajshaw277
    emmajshaw277 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I make protein muffins it seems to cure the sweet craving
    1 cup of oats
    2 mashed bananas
    1/3 cup of s r flour
    I tsp baking powder
    2 tsp coco powder
    1 egg
    1 tsp vanilla essence
    2 tbsp coconut oil
    2 scoops of protein powder

Mix all dry ingredients together with whisk then add melts oil mashed banana and egg
    Divide into 9 cases cook at gas mark 4 12/15 mins
    Some time I add chopped nuts or dried fruit for a change and drizzle with small amount of dark chocolate
    Hope this helps