4 miles WALK

Options
https://youtu.be/Yr41_8QOTF8

I do this Leslie Sanson's 4 miles walk daily, 5 days a week. Actually in this video its only 3 miles, I rewind the 2nd mile & do it again, the workout is about an hour. Is this healthy enough to loose weight?! Its SWEATY though. How many calories do I burn by doing this??

Height: 155.5 cm
Weight: 64 kgs

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    At your weight, in principle you'll be burning in the order of 50-60 cals per mile, but I'm less than convinced you're getting that from walking on the spot.

The main thing about weight loss is being in calorie deficit.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    ZainabHafeedh Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    At your weight, in principle you'll be burning in the order of 50-60 cals per mile, but I'm less than convinced you're getting that from walking on the spot.

Means I am not burning enough? & eating more than I burn??!!
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    It means weight loss occurs by eating less food not by getting more exercise.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    It means weight loss occurs by eating less food not by getting more exercise.

I am eating 1200 calories & doing this 4 miles walk. Is this not enough??!! What should I do then??!!
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Get a heart rate monitor and it will tell you.
    I doubt spot walking will have the same burn as normal walking as there is no forward propulsion by the legs at all?
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    I too walk to Leslie Sansone daily when the weather does not cooperate and I can not walk outdoors. I would log it under general aerobics to get my calorie burn. For instance... Aerobics, low impact...75 Minutes... Calories:317.
    I now have a Fitbit so I no longer have to worry about logging the exercise.
    My stats are:
    5'1"
    55 yr old
    112 lbs
    I ate at 1200 calories and walked with Leslie daily and lost 23 lbs in 5 months. You can do it! Walk strong.
    BTW...there is a wonderful Leslie Sansone Walk At Home Group on here that does a monthly challenge. You just challenge yourself and log your miles. If you are interested check us out.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    PinkyPan1 wrote: »
    I too walk to Leslie Sansone daily when the weather does not cooperate and I can not walk outdoors. I would log it under general aerobics to get my calorie burn. For instance... Aerobics, low impact...75 Minutes... Calories:317.
    My stats are:
    5'1"
    55 yr old
    112 lbs
    I ate at 1200 calories and walked with Leslie daily and lost 23 lbs in 5 months. You can do it! Walk strong.
    BTW...there is a wonderful Leslie Sansone Walk At Home Group on here that does a monthly challenge. You just challenge yourself and log your miles. If you are interested check us out.

Thanks a lot. Can you give me the link of it please??!! I am interested.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,239 Member
    Options
    Have you got stairs? You'd probably burn more walking up (and down) stairs for half an hour or so. Might be something to think about if you're looking for some variety.
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Have you got stairs? You'd probably burn more walking up (and down) stairs for half an hour or so. Might be something to think about if you're looking for some variety.

No :( I don't have stairs at home. Wish I had
  • PinkyPan1
    PinkyPan1 Posts: 3,018 Member
    Options
    My stats are:
    5'1"
    55 yr old
    112 lbs

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10304622/leslie-sansone-january-2016-walk-challenge#latest
  • ZainabHafeedh
    Options
    My stats are:
    5'1"
    55 yr old
    112 lbs

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10304622/leslie-sansone-january-2016-walk-challenge#latest

So you did not eat any sweet/desserts & rice??!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    Get a heart rate monitor and it will tell you.

Heart rate shouldn't be high enough to be meaningful in calorie burn terms.
  • MeanderingMammal
    Options

Means I am not burning enough? & eating more than I burn??!!

The main issue is consuming fewer calories than you expend. So if you expend 1300 calories per day just in terms of existing and going about your daily activities and you eat 1200 then you're in deficit.

If you've set up MFP as its designed then it should be giving you a goal to eat to, after exercise.

For me, I'm on about 2200 Cal's per day. If I burn 600 Cal's running then I should eat 2800 Cal's.