Big tummy; low BMI

Options
Anyone else in this position?

During my 20's and 30's I was blessed with a flat tummy (though exercise has always been part of my routine).

Then I had kids (including twins). Even though I had a normal BMI the doctor advised me to lose a few kilos due to the excess weight around my middle. Now I'm at a low very low BMI but tummy measurement hasn't shifted.

I guess I'm really just venting. I want to think I'm not alone.

Replies

• PegMoffat
    PegMoffat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    You are not alone. I'm 66, have mid BMI, have slim limbs, have had no kids and still have a tummy. I look in the mirror and see my Mother's shape. I suspect that part of it is genetic and I'm not likely going to be able to change it.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My husband teaches tai chi, is in great shape all over his body, and had a beer belly. He went low gluten because our son is very ill and needed to be on that diet. Within days the bloat disappeared. If he eats gluten (like a hamburger roll) or a lot of fat (like a bunch of onion rings, not just normal stuff) he will bloat out again - within hours. It's uncanny. He was skinny and flat bellied when we were kids and into his 30's. Gluten sensitivity gets worse as you're older and you get increased inflammation of your gut.

You may be gluten sensitive too. Try it for a week. See if you notice a difference. Then have a big sandwich or a beer. See if you see a change. If you don't, you've eliminated that and can go back to eating what you are now.

He finds metamucil at night helps too. Welcome to middle age!
  • alida1walsh
    alida1walsh Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses. It's good to know I'm not alone.

PegMoffat, I'll be 50 this year and I guess things just aren't as elastic as they used to be
  • Alassonde
    Alassonde Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Lift heavy

Second this. It's the only thing that has showed any sign of working for me. It's been slow going but I'm seeing improvement.
  • 56offsuit
    56offsuit Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am 43 years old. Male.

In the past 5 years I have been as high as 191 pounds and as low as 156 pounds averaging around 170-175. I will drop it to the 150's and then over a year or so slowly have it go back up to the 180's..... I exercise, I hired a trainer, I eat "pretty" good I think, etc, etc.

My issue is that my belly is at 40" round at the belly button, and it is 40" at 185 pounds and I can lose 30 pounds and go down to 155 pounds and still be 40" round at the belly.....

I hate this!!
  • alida1walsh
    Options
    I'm maintaining at between 53 and 55 kilos but tummy is at 80 cm.

Unfortunately, I can't do heavy weights again until my frozen shoulder gets better so have to stick to running, crunches, squats and the band exercises my physiotherapist has given me
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Has abdominal separation (diastasis recti) been ruled out?
  • kettiecat
    kettiecat Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    ^^^this was my first thought too.

My doctors brought this up repeatedly after I had twins when discussing starting exercise/ the healing process.
  • alida1walsh
    Options
    The separation thing sounds familiar. I remember my obstetrician mentioning this after the birth of my twins - the muscles were separated by more than 4 fingers' wide - is that what you're referring to? I did go full term with twins so it wasn't really surprising.

My GP didn't talk about this though as being an issue. To be fair, I didn't think to mention it to her as she has my medical history and also treats my 3 kids.
  • theocine
    theocine Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    The separation thing sounds familiar. I remember my obstetrician mentioning this after the birth of my twins - the muscles were separated by more than 4 fingers' wide - is that what you're referring to? I did go full term with twins so it wasn't really surprising.

My GP didn't talk about this though as being an issue. To be fair, I didn't think to mention it to her as she has my medical history and also treats my 3 kids.

Remind her. Doctors often skim and don't have all your details at the fore.
  • TasnimEz
    TasnimEz Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Diastasis recti was my first thought.. Had that too after having twins.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    56offsuit wrote: »
    I am 43 years old. Male.

In the past 5 years I have been as high as 191 pounds and as low as 156 pounds averaging around 170-175. I will drop it to the 150's and then over a year or so slowly have it go back up to the 180's..... I exercise, I hired a trainer, I eat "pretty" good I think, etc, etc.

My issue is that my belly is at 40" round at the belly button, and it is 40" at 185 pounds and I can lose 30 pounds and go down to 155 pounds and still be 40" round at the belly.....

I hate this!!

Have you seen a doctor about that? You should lose around an inch or so around your gut every 5 pounds so you may have a medical issue if you aren't losing it there.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    There are exercises specifically for DR that can help if the muscle gap isn't that large. Talk to you doctor about that. An operation may be what is needed.

The normal BMI with large tummy is down to week abs and an increase in visceral fat

Resistance work of some kind, along with good posture will help strengthen the abs.
    Cardio and diet will help with the visceral fat. It is burnt before subcutaneous fat.

Unfortunately once we hit peri menopause our oestrogen lowers and our testosterone increases, this changes the type of fat we store closer to the typical male, our subcutaneous fat levels decrease and viceral Increase Hence being able to have a relatively low BMI but larger tummy.

Fortunately good exercise (strength and cardio) can improve this at any age. Plus strong abs will help support any excess viceral fat as it is stored under the muscles.
    Another unfortunate is our organs also tend to drop a little as we age. Good abs will support them too.

Me, not perfect but improved.
    Left; 54, peri menopause, right; 62 lost weight and worked out. You can get rid of it, it just takes a lot of dedication and hard work.

jph1x94ba87k.jpg

Cheers, h.
  • HeatherCrazyCat
    HeatherCrazyCat Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I suffer from the dreaded Apple shape, and someone pointed me to this post, which I found to be helpful:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1161603/so-you-want-a-nice-stomach/p1
    Hopefully you will be able to do more in the way of core exercises and lifting once your shoulder is better. Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    There are exercises specifically for DR that can help if the muscle gap isn't that large. Talk to you doctor about that. An operation may be what is needed.

The normal BMI with large tummy is down to week abs and an increase in visceral fat

Resistance work of some kind, along with good posture will help strengthen the abs.
    Cardio and diet will help with the visceral fat. It is burnt before subcutaneous fat.

Unfortunately once we hit peri menopause our oestrogen lowers and our testosterone increases, this changes the type of fat we store closer to the typical male, our subcutaneous fat levels decrease and viceral Increase Hence being able to have a relatively low BMI but larger tummy.

Fortunately good exercise (strength and cardio) can improve this at any age. Plus strong abs will help support any excess viceral fat as it is stored under the muscles.
    Another unfortunate is our organs also tend to drop a little as we age. Good abs will support them too.

Me, not perfect but improved.
    Left; 54, peri menopause, right; 62 lost weight and worked out. You can get rid of it, it just takes a lot of dedication and hard work.

jph1x94ba87k.jpg

Cheers, h.

You look amazing @middlehaitch

you're up there with Helen Mirren ... and that is one of the highest accolades I can give any woman, of any age
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options

If you have abdominal separation (which it sounds like you do) things like crunches and planks can make it worse. Does your physio know that you have the separation?