Cheesecake?

Options
I've been doing a low carb diet for about 3 weeks now, I've lost a little bit of weight every week. My family is going out later on today, do you guys think that if I eat a piece of cheesecake with maybe a hot chocolate it'll throw everything off? I plan on that being my dinner, my calorie goal is 2600, but I never eat that much. I'm not even concerned about calories, I'm worried about the carbs! I usually don't ever eat off diet, this would be my first time

Replies

• Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Carbs don't make you gain weight, but I will tell you that you may see an increase on the scale if you eat and drink that. It's not because you've gained fat, but because when one goes low-carb they initially lose water weight due to depleted glycogen stores. When you reintroduce carbs, your body can retain water due to these glycogen stores being replenished.

That being said, if you understand this and can accept that, then go eat your cheesecake and drink your hot chocolate and enjoy it! Low-carb diets can help people with insulin resistance manage their weight/weight loss easier, but all that is truly necessary to lose weight is a calorie deficit.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in a calorie deficit. How you set up your macros is up to you. CICO rules supreme!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight loss happens in a calorie deficit. How you set up your macros is up to you. CICO rules supreme!

This. You might gain temporary water weight from eating more carbs but that's it.
  • PhoenyxRose
    PhoenyxRose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Go for it, and if your goal is 2600 then you should definitely be able to hit that. A slice of cheesecake from the Cheesecake Factory is around 12-1400 calories and I think a slice of plain cheesecake is around 4-600.

And like everyone's said, carbs aren't the enemy, you may see some water retention but that's it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    carbs are irrelevant...

if you haven't been eating carbs it is likely you will see a gain on the scale because you will retain more water...it's not fat, it's water.
  • morgennn
    morgennn Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're three weeks in, eat your cheesecake and enjoy it! A lot of people have a weekly treat so after three weeks you're definitely entitled to it :) Don't stop yourself having treats if you really really want them, they're still fine in moderation! And if you think about it that way you'll find it easier to keep it up. It's a life change rather than a temporary diet x