Exercise = Food

Options
If you can find the time and motivation, and of course, physically able, then intense exercise is an answer to weight loss! It is not always that we eat to much, but that we don't exercise enough. "The more fuel we burn, the greater the need for food.

Not only will you lose weight, you will get fitter and body toned. You don't have to be a gym fanatic, as much as a brisk 30 minute walk to make your heart beat faster.

I am no expert, just a overweight 49 year old who smoked heavy for 35 years and very dependent on large binges of alcohol. Focusing on these 3 life changing events and actually seeing and feeling the benefits encourages me to motivate and help others.

If you would like advise or motivation from a ordinary bloke on the street, without the sometimes confusing stuff, then get in touch and we can help and motivate each other! Good luck to all, in making a life change!!

Replies

• mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    It is very hard to out exercise a bad diet.

Running 1 mile burns 125-150 cals. 1 doughnut is 250+ cals...1 bananna is around 100 calories. 1 tablespoon of butter/oil is approx100 calories.

Unless you're doing alot of intense cardio....exercise is NOT the answer.

A brisk 30minute walk will burn around 150 calories (a generous estimate too) Thats ONE of the following... half a doughnut, 1.5 banannas, 2 apples, 1 glass of juice, 2 small cookies, 4 oz of raw chicken breast withput the skin.
  • TheBeachgod
    TheBeachgod Posts: 825 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    cico.

weight is gained or lost in the kitchen

fitness happens in the gym

to massively oversimplify it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options
    For me, long term weight loss and fitness success has required exercise. Yes, a calorie deficit is key blah blah blah but I want to look and feel good and that requires exercise. Thin and frail is not what I want to be and getting there wouldn't make the effort it takes to lose weight worth it. Healthy and strong is, for me, a much more worthwhile endeavor.
  • bono6612
    bono6612 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    That's just how I feel about it! My body looks and feels alive. Love food, I can eat a lot but I exercise regular... :D
  • bono6612
    Options
    cico.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    When I start losing weight my body starts to crave exercise and it does help, but exercise really doesn't equal food. Even a really hard workout may burn 500-800 calories. I would have to do that seven days and STILL eat at maintenance to lose one pound a week. Diet is the main component of weight loss, exercise can be a small help to the cico formula of weight loss, but where it really helps me is in my mental attitude. I just feel better about myself when I have a regular exercise program.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Yep - it increases appetite. That's why exercise is so overrated for weight loss. Diet is the key!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    bono6612 wrote: »
    cico.

Yes food is a massive part of weight, but so is exercise and the fitness is a reward the body will receive in due time. "If a runner eats 3000 cals and burns 1500 off, he's not going to put weight on! Just an example. Just don't think that promoting diet without exercise is the answer to getting healthy. Human beings were blessed with a huge thigh muscle to carry us around for miles and miles, we're built to exercise!

1500 is an awful long run. Hardly anyone burns that much from exercise in a day
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    100% calorie deficit for weight loss
    100% exercise for body comp and overall health…

not necessary to do both
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    cico.

not sure who is burning 1500 calories off on one run…...
  • bono6612
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    When I start losing weight my body starts to crave exercise and it does help, but exercise really doesn't equal food. Even a really hard workout may burn 500-800 calories. I would have to do that seven days and STILL eat at maintenance to lose one pound a week. Diet is the main component of weight loss, exercise can be a small help to the cico formula of weight loss, but where it really helps me is in my mental attitude. I just feel better about myself when I have a regular exercise program.

In full agreement with that. In my case my diet has remained more or less the same, with a few more healthier choices. I exercise like I've never exercised since a teen.....I'm loosing weight and looking better! " never realised I had any leg muscles to see"!
  • bono6612
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »

Running 1 mile burns 125-150 cals. 1 doughnut is 250+ cals...1 bananna is around 100 calories. 1 tablespoon of butter/oil is approx100 calories.

A brisk 30minute walk will burn around 150 calories (a generous estimate too) Thats ONE of the following... half a doughnut, 1.5 banannas, 2 apples, 1 glass of juice, 2 small cookies, 4 oz of raw chicken breast withput the skin.

It's a combination of both. I eat so I'm never hungry, I exercise so I don't get fat. For me personally, it's an obvious combination to stay and look healthy!
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Mfp over estimates exercise, I alter my times in order to get more accurate calorie usage. Today I did a 4 hour hilly ride at 14mph mfp says 3200 cals my garmin with HR said 1850 my swimming later makes my calorie intake allowance about 4500 cals for the day.
    Exercise doesn't make me lose weight, tracking crap food intake does "as I can actually see where I'm going wrong"
  • bono6612
    Options
    ^^^ Ditto.

I know where you are coming from @bono6612, but unfortunately, what you are saying is not correct. Diet is mostly what's it's all about. What you are talking about us an old school mindset where older people think younger people are heavy because they are lazy. That's not true. There is quite a bit of evidence out there to suggest that it's our diets. Mostly convenience foods.

For me, it's to much food and not enough exercise, take a look at these huge legs we've been given, they are not designed to be immobile!
  • bono6612
    Options

Any exercise is better than none! Cave man walked for miles to gather food, now we can get it delivered. For me, exercise more, I can eat more, maintain weight or lose it....I'm in charge of the outcome!
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cico.

You can get there if your run is in the 15 mile range.
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    edited January 2016
    Options

Any exercise is better than none! Cave man walked for miles to gather food, now we can get it delivered. For me, exercise more, I can eat more, maintain weight or lose it....I'm in charge of the outcome!

Yes, exercise for fitness. Everyone should exercise to be healthy. All exercise counts for health....walking, dancing, cycling, rowing, swimming, etc.... I choose to run between 20-25 miles a week. I average 5 miles on each run. It takes me just under an hour to run 5 miles and only burns 500-600 calories.

Combine that with a decent diet and I lose weight. But the exercise didnt cause the weight loss. It contributed to me looking better and feeling better, but did not cause weight loss.
  • bono6612
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    cico.

You can get there if your run is in the 15 mile range.

It might take 15 mile, that's not the point and was an example only!! Exercise combined with a good diet will burn more calories than diet alone...fact!