Calorie limits and days off?

So I work two jobs, one very physical (Grocery store deli where we also prepare various types of chicken, mostly night shift where heavy equipment cleaning and maintenance occurs) and one fairly active (barista at a coffee shop, not too much heavy work but a fair amount of cleaning, and usually on my feet the whole time like in the deli). I work 5 to 6 days most of the time, not always 8 hour shifts since it's the off season but still on my feet much of the day. So when my days off roll around I am ready to kick back and do the things I love. Usually art or gaming. Sometimes streaming said games. So on my days off I am pretty much sedentary and I like it that way because my body needs a break from all the physical labor. Though sometimes I am out at my partner'partner's mother'mother's hobby farm so I can find myself doing a little work but it's highly likely the couch or chair is my friend a couple times a week.

After that TL;DR I need to get to the point. How do you handle calorie limits for inactive days? Surely it isn't a good idea to be eating the same number of calories on my day off as I do when I am working? Though it seems for me a problem that it's the opposite. I munch too much on days off and eat too little on days I work and no matter what I eat and how physical I am I am struggling with weightloss. And I like to eat healthy. So I need to get on track and find where I am messing up, and this is the first issue I feel compelled to tackle.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Keep the same calorie goal on your days off. It's fine.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Fill your fridge with fruit and veggie snacks. You're not sedentary, and while you could throw in some real strength training, it looks like the priority is diet. Many people have trouble not snacking while lounging around the house so you can either simply stop snacking (hard but possible) or get rid of the crap and find lower calorie and more nutritious options.

Start by getting very honest about what you are really eating though. Many of us who have been overweight are very familiar with the denial that comes with it. A food scale and careful calorie counting can help with this.
  • CommanderEmily
    CommanderEmily Posts: 68 Member
    Thank you, I appreciate the help. And I have a good scale, I just need to make myself use it lol.. I let my busy life get the best of me sometimes especially with food.
  • srecupid
    srecupid Posts: 660 Member
    I drop down to sedentary in my settings. Takes 5 seconds. In fact I just leave it at sedentary now because I was aiming for 1.5lbs a week and dropped down to 1lb a week now. The difference between 1.5lbs LA and 1lb sedentary is 60 calories for me. If I only lose 1lb a week great if I lose more awesome.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    emmycantbemeeko Posts: 303 Member
    I have a similar disconnect between my work days (twelve hours constantly moving on my feet and lifting patients) and days off (fairly sedentary despite workouts).

I split the difference by selecting "lightly active"- I'm probably slightly undershooting my real expenditure on work days and slightly overshooting on off days, but it seems to all pan out in the end, as I'm still losing steadily.
  • CommanderEmily
    That's what I did I think, went with lightly active. Better under than over I assumed. As for the setting it at sedentary, the calorie difference is pretty steep for me I am pretty sure with the goal being 1.5 lbs weightloss I think. Considering my current weight and my goal weight, the calorie limits are questionably high. I used to be told to eat 1200-1400 and I couldn't lose a pound that way, then incorporates exercise and made sure to adjust for the calories and still couldn't lose anything more than water weight. So it's entirely possible the higher calorie amounts on here are why I wasn't losing anything, because I was under eating by too much. So I won't be setting it at sedentary and leaving it there this time.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    edited January 2016
    Unless you're very very short, very close to a normal weight for that very short height, and almost totally sedentary, it's highly unlikely that you were truly eating 1200-1400 calories a day and not losing. If all of these things are true for you- if you are very short with very little weight to lose- then 1.5 lbs/week is much too aggressive a goal for you.

It's extremely easy and common to underestimate calories in food. Tightening up your food weighing (weighing, not measuring) and logging should show you improved results.

Undereating, while it can make it hard for you to stick to the plan and while it carries other potential health risks over time, will not stop weight loss. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. If you eat a lot less than you burn, you will lose a lot of weight*. If you believe you're eating many fewer calories than you burn and you're not losing weight, the answer is nearly always that you are not, in fact, burning more calories than you eat and you need to reexamine your assumptions about intake and output closely.

*disclaimer: don't do this, it's a bad idea on several levels and does not lead to long-term success.
  • CommanderEmily
    Unless you're very very short, very close to a normal weight for that very short height, and almost totally sedentary, it's highly unlikely that you were truly eating 1200-1400 calories a day and not losing. If all of these things are true for you- if you are very short with very little weight to lose- then 1.5 lbs/week is much too aggressive a goal for you.

It's extremely easy and common to underestimate calories in food. Tightening up your food weighing (weighing, not measuring) and logging should show you improved results.

Undereating, while it can make it hard for you to stick to the plan and while it carries other potential health risks over time, will not stop weight loss. If you eat less than you burn, you will lose weight. If you eat a lot less than you burn, you will lose a lot of weight*. If you believe you're eating many fewer calories than you burn and you're not losing weight, the answer is nearly always that you are not, in fact, burning more calories than you eat and you need to reexamine your assumptions about intake and output closely.

*disclaimer: don't do this, it's a bad idea on several levels and does not lead to long-term success.

Actually, that goes against the medical basis of weightloss, or in the way that's phrased, starvation. When the body thinks it's starving it kicks in a natural physiological response. Eating too few calories will not cause weightloss. There's a reason that there is a suggested deficit and recommended loss per week.

I want to lose weight, but I want to do it safely. My lack of weightloss in the past has been closely related to medications and the need to sort out deficits and imbalances in my body. It's incredibly frustrating to me that following simple guidelines hasn't worked for me, but it's possible I may be finding the solution to my issues so I want to get on the right track to healthy habits.

And yes, I have a food scale. I know nutrition and all the smart ways to diet. I have been at this a while. It's been more than an uphill battle for me. Eating right isn't enough when you are on three medications with the symptom of weight gain and hormonal imbalance is a common issue.

The whole point of my question was because I wanted experience based answers on how people handled their days off. I used to work a cozy front desk job with ample sitting time and light cleaning, so it was never a concern whether to change my caloric limits day to day since my expenditure was fairly even all around.
  • CommanderEmily
    Sorry, that came off horribly grouchy. I have been on this site in the past and constantly felt on the defensive when I sought help. I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just trying to play everything by the book this time. My health is a constant struggle, and weightloss being the hardest. I have luckily stopped gaining weight since I stopped taking those meds, but since those meds weightloss has felt practically impossible. I used to be able to drop some pounds when I tried before all of that happened. It was always slower than others did, but I could manage up to twenty. Now I can budge the scale under 230 lbs no matter how hard I try and it's just frustrates me. I might be getting the medical help I need to correct the imbalances in my body soon, so I am optimistically trying to get in the habit of eating well.

• Shrinking_Erin
    Shrinking_Erin Posts: 125 Member
    So ... My husband and I used to get to the weekend and it felt like woo hoo.. Party time. Sweets. Elaborate means that were really high in calories. In our heads the weekends had to be more fun, food wise. I've had to change my thinking and now everyday is basically the same. I'm looking at the big picture and not just the moment we are in. Now we plan far ahead for meals or days when we will be a bit more relaxed (like this weekend we are in Amsterdam celebrating my birthday .. ) And we will do something similar for his birthday and our anniversary.
  • emmycantbemeeko
    The "starvation effect" is a wildly misunderstood concept that does not work the way you think it does.

If eating too few calories caused weight loss to stop, nobody would ever starve to death. Sufferers of anorexia nervosa would be pudgy, stomach cancer patients who can't eat would be rotund, countries in famine would be full of people with fat to lose. None of those things are true. People on starvation diets lose weight up up until the point their bodies cannot catabolize anything further without dying and then they die, because eating too few calories to maintain your weight causes weight loss. There is no magic by which a body that requires, say, 2000 calories to maintain, if given only 1500 calories a day, manages to retain all its fat for long. A body is a entity that runs on chemistry and physics, and while their are slight changes to your metabolism and composition that can make the precise numbers needed for a deficit change over time, meaning it's certainly possible to believe you're eating at a deficit when you are not, which will stall weight loss. But ultimately it does come down to eating fewer calories than you burn, full stop. First world dieters are not subject to some kind of exceptional rules of physiology that don't affect any other humans.

There are minor changes in metabolism- adaptive thermogenesis- while eating at a deficit- but the changes are proportional to the size of the deficit and are not enough to stop weight loss- they're just one more consideration in how you calculate your deficit over time. Starvation experiments a. saw huge weight loss despite slightly lowered metabolism and b. saw a rebound of metabolism in patients as soon as refeeding started.

AT *is* part of the reason that there's a daily minimum- that if you restrict too much, you'll see large amounts of weight loss, but will struggle to maintain that level of intake, and will have nowhere to go down within healthy, sustainable intake as a decrease in your size leads to a lower BMD and ongoing calorie restriction leads to mild adaptive thermogenesis- to maintain a rate of loss. Not because eating less won't cause weight loss while you're doing it. It certainly will- that's part of the cycle that keeps crash dieters doing it- they DO see weight loss. They just don't maintain it.

There are all kind of negative health effects from VLCD, they aren't sustainable, and I don't recommend them, but it's not because they stop weight loss.

There are things like medications that can make eating at a deficit much more challenging, usually because they increase hunger, making sticking to the diet more challenging, cause potentially huge fluid retention, masking loss for a long period and decreasing motivation, or cause decreasing energy levels and consequently a decrease in one's movement and TDEE. These are real issues that can affect your ability, practically speaking, to lose weight. But none of this comes down to "not losing weight because I ate too few calories." It just doesn't work that way.

Virtually always, the explanation for not losing on a deficit is that the deficit is not what the person believes it is.

This isn't a dig at you. Most people are bad at estimating calories in and calories out even with fairly close attention. That's why we're all here- for help with that.

• jmgj27
    jmgj27 Posts: 531 Member
    I am a SAHM of toddler twins and I'm out and about with them every day when my husband is at work. As I don't drive that means a lot of walking for me all through the week. At the weekend, because my husband is at home and likes to have a chill out away from work, I tend to do less walking (we also tend to go to places slightly further away and drive there). As a result I have my calorie intake set to lightly active throughout. I think that's an understatement during the week and probably slightly over at weekends but it's working!
  • jasmineruth
    jasmineruth Posts: 88 Member
    Could you get an activity tracker that syncs and wear that to work. Then keep your activity level at sedentary and let it adjust for you?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Could you get an activity tracker that syncs and wear that to work. Then keep your activity level at sedentary and let it adjust for you?

I'd do that too.. Invest in a fitbit and let it do the work for you.

OR set MFP as 'lightly active' and just eat that every day (on the low side between your active days and your sedentary ones to give you a bigger deficit because of your medication).

At least it's what I'd do.
  • CommanderEmily
    Francl27 wrote: »

OR set MFP as 'lightly active' and just eat that every day (on the low side between your active days and your sedentary ones to give you a bigger deficit because of your medication).

I was just looking into that. Do they make any like that that aren't watch style? Being in the food service industry I wash a lot of dishes and do a lot of cleaning. I'd hate to ruin it. But I would be comfortable giving that a go, I've heard great things.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Francl27 wrote: »

I was just looking into that. Do they make any like that that aren't watch style? Being in the food service industry I wash a lot of dishes and do a lot of cleaning. I'd hate to ruin it. But I would be comfortable giving that a go, I've heard great things.

I've got a fitbit zip which i clip onto the middle part of my bra. It's undetectable there. There's also the fitbit one.