Do many of you measure inch loss?

Options
Does anyone measure inch loss ahead of the scales ?

Replies

• SunnyDayzMomma
    SunnyDayzMomma Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this too.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I measure inches every few weeks. It's one of my tracking methods.
  • laural121
    laural121 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have recntly started
  • Body_Remap
    Body_Remap Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think this a method I want to start using as well, I think it's a lot better than just scales.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,146 Member
    Options
    I did when I was trying to lose weight, not so much now that I am in maintenance; I take measurements when I remember. I am not very skillful with the measuring tape and I get a lot of fluctuations so I take the numbers with a grain of salt.
    I prefer the scale and how my clothes fit.
  • perhapsormaybe
    perhapsormaybe Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I just started and I think it's an excellent idea to use in addition to the scale. I've lost about an inch in the waist and hips - but the scale hasn't moved much. It gives you a much better idea of if you're making progress than just scale alone.
  • cassieknights951
    cassieknights951 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I do measurements bi weekly and weigh daily
  • MajesticBlondee25
    MajesticBlondee25 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I do! I almost never notice plus or minus 10 lbs on me but I notice when I get bigger or smaller which almost never coincides with my weight. I measure my waist, hips, thighs, bust, neck and wrist once a month
  • GillianSmith2
    GillianSmith2 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I have got a bit of a system going which helps to keep me motivated.

I weighed and measured myself at the start.
    Then every Friday I weigh myself.
    If there is a weight drop that's great i leave it there.
    If there is NO weight drop i measure myself, taking measurements from all different areas (as we know it can drop from one place and not another)
    Doing it this way as helped to keep me motivated as usually there is movement on one or the other.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,738 Member
    Options
    As long as you don't obsess or stress about it, it can be helpful to weigh yourself, measure with a tape, and take progress photos, all periodically. For me, the scale & the tape didn't always move in lockstep (either one might come first at different times), so it was nice to have both to see progress (I wasn't that great with progress pics; wish I had been). I weigh daily, measure randomly but probably every couple of weeks.
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I did not use measurements or photos BUT I SHOULD HAVE. I lost 30 lbs last year and I've become too obsessed by the number on the scale as I try to maintain. I strongly encourage you to use metrics of progress other than the scale.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yes, I take measurements monthly and I put more stock in those than I do the scale. The scale fluctuates due to sodium, hormones and other things. Ultimately I don't care the number on the scale says provided that I look and feel a certain way - measurements capture this better.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Yes but mostly because I'm really really really REALLY looking forward to smaller bras.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    i do measurements monthly.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I don't "measure" with a tape measure but I do notice when clothes start to get tight/loose. Since having clothes fit is my main motivation I don't really care about specific numbers. Once I hit maintenance I will most likely start measuring.
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    Yes. I like to keep track of four measurements (waist, hips, neck, and bra size), but I take additional ones every now and again as a rough estimate of my body fat percentage.

At this point, the tape measure is a lot more accurate than the scale for me. I've been around the same weight since July/August, but I've lost at least 3.5" from my "big four" measurements (1" from waist, 1" from hip, 0.5" from neck... and my chest ended up deflating and probably lost a good 2-3" from there).
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    I had a month where I lost 4 pounds but 4 inches on my waist and 2 on my hips. Another month 7 pounds no inches on my waist but 1 from my hips.

I use both. When one disappoints, the other encourages.

• Matt200goal
    Matt200goal Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I do both. Weigh daily & track/trend; take measurements once a month.
  • Smallc10
    Smallc10 Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Yes, I weigh and track every week and I take measurements every month.
  • Body_Remap
    Body_Remap Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I think I'm gonna start doing measurements soon as I'm more concerned with getting small than my weight on scale