Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Isn't there anything directed at men over 50 for loosing weight and getting into shape?

Come on now, where are the postings / advice for men over 50 years old who honestly want to loose weight and get fit? And I'm not talking about the perverted encounters. I'm talking about those of us men who want and need advice from others of the like minded. I live in Southern Indiana and would like to chat with others who have the same mind set. WTF over? If there are any, and again no perverted freaks, e-mail me. Thank you

Replies

• ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    They get the same advice everyone does. Weigh your food on a food scale input info in mfp and stay at the deficit mfp gives you.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    Why do you think it's different past a certain age?
    I train as hard as I have for the last 40 years. Probably a bit smarter though...

Advice is simple: eat the right amount of good nutritious foods that you enjoy in the right quantity and train hard in a way that is enjoyable for you.

Besides to quote Groucho Marx "You are only as old as the woman you feel".

(Shame my wife is 55 too....)
  • lewandoskiron
    lewandoskiron Posts: 1 Member
    Just keep at it, don't sweat the setbacks , I started with 10 min on stationary bike day. Set a goal.
  • pansamanchada
    pansamanchada Posts: 158 Member
    I've seen how what I can do and how my body responds to it has changed over the years so I understand your question in a way. But you're right there's not a lot directed at Men over 50 in the form of specific advice.

Your best bet is to look around for any men who are close to your age in the forums, friend them and watch what they do. I have a pal who is over 50 and lost 24 lbs so far.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    I'll turn 50 this year.
    Same as it ever was, train hard, recover well, focus on diet, variety and fun.
    (Recovery is a little slower...)

What is your sport and activity preference?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,887 Member
    Turned 52 this past month and can definitely say that age shouldn't hold one back from trying to get as fit as possible. I believe that from about 50, the goal should be NOT to put yourself in positions to possibly injure yourself. Now that will vary from person to person, but if one has been pretty sedentary for awhile, then tries to do a program that got them fit in their 30's, well chances are the ROM,strength and flexibility aren't there as much anymore and injury can occur. And it takes longer to recover than before which would just damper the motivation to keep up with fitness at this age.
    It doesn't have to be crazy, it doesn't have to be Crossfit, it doesn't require running a 9 minute mile. It basically requires consistency and a moderate calorie deficit along with some basic resistance training to keep the lean muscle you've already got.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • JK462
    JK462 Posts: 2 Member
    I'm 54. Been weight training ( light to moderate) 30 min. three days a week for a year or so. Trying to keep up with cardio the other days (mostly walking) and watching macros (ratio of carbs, protein, fat). It's not rocket science, just takes perseverance to not get sick of logging. After losing initial 20 lbs I've maintained, but bmi is much better and feel better in general. Be mindful of injury. Rest when needed..
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    "Fitness Over Forty" is a good book.
  • Malenurse51
    Malenurse51 Posts: 181 Member
    64 here. I've been on Nutrisystem's 1800cal diabetic plan and cardio 3x/week since August. Started @ 244 and I'm down to 189. Just started weights this week. I try to ignore the calendar (years wise) and concentrate on the scale. I joined Gold's in December, 2014. I have to admit, it's kind of encouraging to walk past a mirror and see the results. Age is just a number, live it, believe it. I'm trying to.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    The other thing is consistency. The op never came back to the thread. Well.