working out 7 days a week healthy?

Options
So for 26 days straight i have worked out every single day. Then today between the kids and housework and deep cleaning the downstairs for company coming Monday I'm just wore out. I have zero motivation to workout tonight i just want sleep. But I'm still excited to get yo go to workout tomorrow so did my mind and body just need a day or am i over doing it?

Replies

• fiddletime
    fiddletime Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I take a day or two off every week. Your body needs a break- some rest.
  • scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    You need some rest. You can have some 'active rest' but you need rest.
    I vary intensity all week. I walk about 100k steps. Some days are 20k or more steps and a few are just 10k steps. I only do an intense hill hike once a week. I do Zumba twice, yoga twice, and lift on two or three days. I always wait a full day before repeating anything more intense than walking.
    Varying intensity helps keep me injury free & mentally fresh.
  • crystali1983
    crystali1983 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You are very wise scolaris! I think I will incorporate some of what you do into my routine. It's actually quite similar to yours =)
  • ltworide
    ltworide Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I usually rest "active rest" on weekends & workout on weekdays as a general rule of thumb. I do a lot of cross training as my overall goal is simply overall health & fitness so I can enjoy a higher quality of life.
  • fafeliciano
    fafeliciano Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely rest at least once preferably twice a week. Recovery is just as important as being active. The active rest that scolaris mentioned is a very great way to rest on those recovery days.
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So for 26 days straight i have worked out every single day. Then today between the kids and housework and deep cleaning the downstairs for company coming Monday I'm just wore out. I have zero motivation to workout tonight i just want sleep. But I'm still excited to get yo go to workout tomorrow so did my mind and body just need a day or am i over doing it?

Slow down there. You will snap some shhh up. You will be over training if not already are
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i do some kinda workout every day, just listen to your body and if you are lifting make sure you allow for rest days for the muscle groups. But i do some kinda physical activity every day, its fine.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,932 Member
    Options
    I'm active 7 days a week ... but my activity level varies.

That said, I took my first rest day yesterday ... only grocery shopping and housecleaning which involved climbing up and down and up and down a step ladder many times ... since the beginning of July.

I cycled a 200 km randonnee on Saturday, and felt a bit weary on Sunday.

But I'm back to exercising again today (Monday).
  • spzjlb
    spzjlb Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I am also someone who works out every single day, with very few exceptions. However, I usually only do 30-45 min intense exercise and switch it up between cardio (treadmill or elliptical) and various shorter workouts with weights. I find that short, daily workouts are easier to fit into my schedule than longer sessions only 3-5 times per week.
  • sftbllcoachlp
    sftbllcoachlp Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

I think for you to get better results in the long run, you should take a day of at least from working out. You can maybe do just cardio on your day off, but don't workout. Your body and muscles need at least a day to rest or you they will get fatigued. Plus eventually you will burn yourself out and stop doing it possibly. A day off will make you feel fresher and more pumped up to hit it hard again.