Squats!!!

Options
This may seem like a silly question but I've had mixed opinions on the matter... I want to slim my legs and tone up but with weight loss comes the loss of the booty so I'm thinking about squating. Will squating without weights make my legs look bigger and more muscly?

Replies

• errollmaclean
    errollmaclean Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    On a calorie deficit it will be very hard to gain muscle... it actually takes a lot of work to gain muscle at all. So you won't accidentally become "muscly". Otherwise every guy would look like Captain America.

Excersize will help you retain your muscle mass while at that deficit though and result in a better body composition, which will result in a better look. Especially if you incorporate weights.

http://favoritefitnessfinds.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/7/6/11768117/9773993_orig.jpg

http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/tumblr_mbpxovG8cG1rd0tw8o1_1280.jpg
  • jemlouise93
    jemlouise93 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    errollm wrote: »
    On a calorie deficit it will be very hard to gain muscle... it actually takes a lot of work to gain muscle at all. So you won't accidentally become "muscly". Otherwise every guy would look like Captain America.

Excersize will help you retain your muscle mass while at that deficit though and result in a better body composition, which will result in a better look. Especially if you incorporate weights.

http://favoritefitnessfinds.weebly.com/uploads/1/1/7/6/11768117/9773993_orig.jpg

http://www.trimmedandtoned.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/tumblr_mbpxovG8cG1rd0tw8o1_1280.jpg

Thank you :smiley:
  • pez1234
    pez1234 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Squats are awesome !!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    This may seem like a silly question but I've had mixed opinions on the matter... I want to slim my legs and tone up but with weight loss comes the loss of the booty so I'm thinking about squating. Will squating without weights make my legs look bigger and more muscly?

This sounds awfully like you think you can target where fat loss comes from

Unfortunately you can't

That said legs with decent musculature look slim dependent on fat percentage

And never listen to anyone who says don't squat ...squat and squat heavy

Also hip thrusts and lunges
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    And deadlifts, bench, rows etc ..you want your wholeody to be full of awesome I assume
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Lifting while in a deficit does nice things for the bum shape-wise, but you won't put on muscle there because of the low-cal diet. I lost a couple inches too much in my hips and did gain one back, but it didn't happen until I ate a bit above maintenance for a few months (and used progressive resistance, of course). So you probably won't actually gain any inches until you can eat more.

But the shaping effect of lifting is worth it anyway, imho. And you'll preserve muscle, so it's important regardless.

The rest of your legs will probably just look tighter and more defined. I think it's hard to build up big hamstrings compared to glutes (maybe just me). Look at all the girls who have lifted for their booty and check out their legs. That's certainly as big as you'll get, max.
  • antennachick
    antennachick Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Squats heavy and low!
  • andrasita30
    andrasita30 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Do compound movements and go to failure with weights. And do squats! You should cut back on your calories a little bit and also try intermittent fasting. If you are a beginner you will see results in no time..
  • a4chase1
    a4chase1 Posts: 13 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Squats rock! I also agree with what everyone stated. I also do barre ballet leg exercises. Combined it kicks your butt and legs quite well. No pun intended. ;)
  • sftbllcoachlp
    sftbllcoachlp Posts: 11 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options

Doing anything without weights will not add any size or muscle, it will only tone the body part. If your goal is to get muscular and a lil bigger, do lots of squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg curls, kick backs. But do all those exercises with weights and don't be scared to go heavy. Hope that helps.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

Doing anything without weights will not add any size or muscle, it will only tone the body part. If your goal is to get muscular and a lil bigger, do lots of squats, lunges, leg extensions, leg curls, kick backs. But do all those exercises with weights and don't be scared to go heavy. Hope that helps.

There's no such thing as "toning" a muscle. You can either build it, shrink it (atrophy) or have it remain the same size. What most people think of as "toning" is actually removing the fat over the muscle (via caloric deficit) so more definition is visible.

OP, here's a great read about what "toning" is(n't), and how to do what you want to do: http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/muscle-tone/
  • Sued0nim
    Options

The implication here seems to be adding weights to bw will make you put on size ...That's not how it works
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options

The first sentence is misinformation. The next two are misdirection.
  • CasperNaegle
    CasperNaegle Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    It is difficult to tone (build muscle) and lose weight (calorie deficit) at the same time. Depends on where you are in the fitness journey. I'd suggest you check this out. Squats are a great compound lift to build your legs and booty and you get lots of great core work too.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/build-muscle-lose-fat/
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Absolutely squat....and squat heavy!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

This is not true. You can build muscle, or you can lower your bf%. There is no such thing as toning.

OP squat, squat heavy, you will not look like a bodybuilder (I sense this is what you may be afraid of), and you won't regret it!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Squatting is the best! I am in weight loss mode and it really helps me look and feel my best as I lose weight and inches. It strengthens muscles I use in aerobic exercises (like glutes/quads) so helps me run and bike. And generally I feel more limber and graceful after I do a whole bunch of deep squats. I consider them a foundational exercise (foundation to all else). Muscle definition is totally different than bulking up, and squats helps me firm up all over.