Cereal

Options
Special K red berries cereal with almond milk healthy or not?

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yep
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day, you like it, and you don't have any negative effects after eating it, it sounds great. If not, consider something else.
  • gmac39013
    gmac39013 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If it fits into your calorie and nutrition goals for the day, you like it, and you don't have any negative effects after eating it, it sounds great. If not, consider something else.

I was just wondering about the sugars if it was too much idk I'm not sure I'm new to this but thanks for your response :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    gmac39013 wrote: »

I was just wondering about the sugars if it was too much idk I'm not sure I'm new to this but thanks for your response :)

That will depend a lot on your personal goals, needs, and what the rest of your diet looks like. Personally, I don't worry about sugars. But I know a lot of people do. So it may be best to log it for a while and see how you like it.
  • Yellowon02
    Yellowon02 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Nope.
    Cereal is processed. Not enough protein.
  • gmac39013
    Options
    Nope.

What do you suggest I try for breakfast that is convenient and quick that's low on calories :)
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and a banana ;)
    Maybe just one full egg and a few whites.

Deviled eggs made ahead of time. (You can substitute the mayo)

Ezekiel toast. Eggs

Protein shake.

Greek yogurt.

Rolled up turkey and sliced avocado.

Eggs with salsa and avocado.

PB on Ezekiel bread.

Hmmmm those are my quick go to's.
  • lorabelllee
    lorabelllee Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Kashi cereal is high in protein and fiber add skim or 1% milk and some blueberries or raspberries and its a decent breakfast. I probably have that 3 days out of the week, with eggs or PB on toast the other days.
  • gmac39013
    Options
    Kashi cereal is high in protein and fiber add skim or 1% milk and some blueberries or raspberries and its a decent breakfast. I probably have that 3 days out of the week, with eggs or PB on toast the other days.
    what are your thoughts on almond milk?

• mixa4u
    mixa4u Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Almond milk - expensive water with some sweeteners. Go buy atleast semifat milk and enjoy some ChocoCrisps, if you don't have diabetes and you're controlling youself after having some sugar. Why would you buy Kashi etc.. meal timing irrelevant , enjoy cereal, then enjoy protons at lunch etc. Good luck
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs and a banana ;)
    Maybe just one full egg and a few whites.

Deviled eggs made ahead of time. (You can substitute the mayo)

Ezekiel toast. Eggs

Protein shake.

Greek yogurt.

Rolled up turkey and sliced avocado.

Eggs with salsa and avocado.

PB on Ezekiel bread.

Hmmmm those are my quick go to's.

Protein shakes are highly processed foods too.

OP when it fits in your calorie allowance than there is nothing wrong with it. Enjoy!

95069916.png

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I don't find cereal filling at all, and Special K has lots of sugar in it. The only cereal I ever eat is weetabix (I buy it for my kids and sometimes eat it if I'm in a hurry)

Eggs don't take long...poached, scrambled, omelette etc...and they fill you up. I've been making ham omelette for breakfast.
  • Yellowon02
    Options
    Depends on the protien powder you choose. Mix with water frozen berries and spinach.

I'm not talking about premade "meal replacement" high in fake sugars and other junk.

And even with a processed protien drink. At least you are getting fat and protien not empty sugar/carbs in cereal.
  • AmazonMayan
    AmazonMayan Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Special k and a lot of other sugary cereals don't keep me full at all so I end up eating another breakfast lol. That much sugar actually makes me crave more sugar. I don't avoid sugar I just do better with fruit as far as my control goes. I buy puffed kamut cereal at whole foods and add a serving of it to other cereal sometimes to bulk up the quantity - only adds 50 calories. Cereal is snack for me and never a meal.

If you like cereal in the morning maybe a weighed serving along with an egg or two or something else with some protein and fat. Some people can get full on yogurt in the mornings (I can't). If you really want the cereal maybe a low calorie vanilla yogurt with 1/2 serving cereal put on top to mix in and still a couple eggs or meat on the side.

English muffin with a laughing cow cheese wedge and an egg is good. I also add a turkey sausage patty to it sometimes and a slice ham or Canadian bacon would also be good.

• ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    mixa4u wrote: »
    Almond milk - expensive water with some sweeteners. Go buy atleast semifat milk and enjoy some ChocoCrisps, if you don't have diabetes and you're controlling youself after having some sugar. Why would you buy Kashi etc.. meal timing irrelevant , enjoy cereal, then enjoy protons at lunch etc. Good luck

I'm going to disagree a little with this statement - I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that most commercially-marketed nut (and other) milks are exactly what Mixa4u says. However, for many centuries, almond milk was, indeed, used as a substitute for less-storage-friendly animal milk:

godecookery.com/goderec/grec31.htm

And, a homemade almond milk, which doesn't take long, lets you control how much water, sweetener and almonds you like, and, depending on whether or not you remove the coarse grains, retains all the benefits of the almond itself (When I do decide to make almond milk, I remove the grains but keep them around for other recipes).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Nope.

So eat some protein with it.

I often have steel cut oats with berries and then some protein on the side (today's was leftover salmon), as well as some vegetables. The vegetables and fruit have less protein than the oats (which have some), but it seems weird to demand that every component of a meal have protein.

You can also add protein powder to cereal; I often do to my oats when I have them. Of course, that's processed too.