Pcos

Options
A few questions regarding losing weight and having PCOS. I'm, like many others, is on a budget, so I find it hard to buy healthy food items especially since I'm not a big veggie eater. So any food items you can think of that would be good to put on the grocery list?? Also, any vitamins or supplements that help aid in weight loss? I've had PCOS since I was a teenager, and its always been a challenge to lose weight, I've tried and tried many times before but I lose my motivation and give up. It seems like nothing I do helps. So if you have any input for me thank you so much!!

Replies

• midge_m
    midge_m Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    Often those with pcos have the best results when they follow a diabetic-like diet plan. I was diagnosed with it almost 30 years ago and reduced carb is the only way I have had real success. My suggestions would be to start with maybe finding a salad you like and can switch up a lot. If you don't like veggies much just getting a lettuce base and then loading with chicken breast and other things to start. If you get a mix you like and a reasonable dressing (the boathouse yogurt ones are good) you can start hiding other veg in there too!

Super inexpensive meal too is tuna with stone ground crackers. $1 for the tuna and trader Joe's sells Ak-mak sesame crackers for just $1.49 box. High protein and some fiber with on l y a few carbs.

There is a Pcos group here too you may want to look at. Good luck!
  • aritenour5
    aritenour5 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for around 4 years now. I'm not sure what all health issues you have but one of my doctors recommended that I take vitamin E. It helps with non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. It seemed to help me a lot. He did warn that diabetics shouldn't take it, so obviously don't take it if you are.
  • AshleyIrene94
    AshleyIrene94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you midge_m, that helps a lot! And aritenour5, I'm pre diabetic. And also have insulin resistance.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Eat enough protein. Reduce carbs. Increase fats.
    Some ideas: eggs, dark meat chicken, beans, chia seeds, almonds, milk, yogurt, cheese, tuna, salmon, olives, avocados, hummus, bacon, peanut butter, lentils,
    Eat the veggies that you are o.k. with
  • AshleyIrene94
    AshleyIrene94 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you Rodarose!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Eggs, milk and string cheese have helped me a lot. And beans, definitely. White beans with skinless chicken thighs or sausage as a one-pot meal, to be precise :)

I also take Cinnamon with Chromium, Fenugreek and Mg to further help with blood sugar issues (all legitimately studied for that), and I'm on Metformin. For PCOS, not only does the Met help balance multiple hormones, but I take Prometrium (Rx) to further help balance the estrogen-to-progesterone ratio.

My hormones were quite out of whack. The symptoms that gives are no fun, and my pre-diabetes going farther was just one of lovely effects that made me get on board with a lot of changes at once. It's not so bad now that I got the kick in the pants my hyperglycemic numbers (and facial hair) gave me. And now my lowest tummy is flat to boot! That has never happened since puberty, seriously! I always had a tiny pooch that grew fast if I put on weight, lol.

I do moderate carb but about 90% low-to-medium glycemic carbs like beans, take the BG meds/supplements, and also exercise. Some exercise is important for good sugar numbers and also to get a better body composition. That's not true overall, but it is for insulin resistant folks (and I'd guess for PCOS girls anyway if you have the central adiposity going on even without diagnosed IR). Studies have shown that weights or fairly vigorous cardio are what relate to the body composition results. Light walks don't do it, although they can help with BG numbers.
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    PCOS = too many carbs. Gotta cut'em down. Keep below 100 grams/day.