Best protein powders

Options
Im new to the whole protein powder thing whats are the best ones?? price/brand/taste

Replies

• ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you are looking for...most protein for least calories, best flavor, particular protein source (whey, casein, soy, pea protein), etc.

Best bet may be to try some sample sizes if you can. I think GNC has some if there is a store around you.

I used 100% Gold Standard Whey for quite awhile. Personally found I can't digest a lot of whey protein in a day.

I've read that for older ladies pea protein is easier to digest, but haven't tried any.
  • hmacks52
    hmacks52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Optimum gold, Costco and Amazon carry it. 24g of protein only 120 calories!
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm one of the "older" ladies. The whey proteins didn't agree with me, but I love my pea protein! Naturade vegan vanilla. I get it on Amazon.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    The whey proteins didn't agree with me, but I love my pea protein! Naturade vegan vanilla. I get it on Amazon.

Thanks for sharing. :)
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    My favorite powder is trutein:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/body-nutrition/trutein.html
    115 calories, 24g of protein, 5 carbs, .5 grams of fat per scoop.
    I got it after researching protein powders on here. As far as powders go it's my favorite. I haven't had a bad flavor but I usually buy the vanilla bean in bulk because it goes with everything flavor wise, like if I want to make a smoothie. I've tried smores, cinnabun and red velvet cake which are also good, just not flavors I think I could add to a smoothie multiple times a week, more like dessert, so I order smaller portions of those.

My favorite to mix up in a shaker cup is wonderslim:
    http://www.wonderslim.com/wonderslim-meal-replacement-protein-shakes-cocomintcream.html
    100 calories, 15 grams of protein, 7 carbs, 1.5 grams of fat.
    I have small and large shaker cups. In a small cup I mix one packet, large I mix 2 packets and some trutein, depends on if it's a snack or meal replacement.

These are my favorite in terms of protein/carb/fat combo AND flavor, which is very important for me to stick to it. Both come in natural or aspartame free versions without a big taste sacrifice if that's what you're looking for.
  • melonaulait
    melonaulait Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I just bought pea protein today! 10€ for 300g and the protein content is 90g/100g so I'm pretty stoked! o:)
  • kmercer4416
    kmercer4416 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Walmart and target have them next to vitamins. If you don't like them, they have 100% refund policy. And, the stores often have lower prices. Suggest you try a protein bar first to make sure you like the taste of protein.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    My favorite powder is trutein:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/body-nutrition/trutein.html
    115 calories, 24g of protein, 5 carbs, .5 grams of fat per scoop.
    I got it after researching protein powders on here. As far as powders go it's my favorite. I haven't had a bad flavor but I usually buy the vanilla bean in bulk because it goes with everything flavor wise, like if I want to make a smoothie. I've tried smores, cinnabun and red velvet cake which are also good, just not flavors I think I could add to a smoothie multiple times a week, more like dessert, so I order smaller portions of those.

Another vote for trutein. I really enjoy their mocha caramel, chocolate peanut butter cup, vanilla bean, and cinnabun. Their mango and banana flavors are fine, too. A benefit of trutein is that they sell samples on their website so that you can try the flavors out before dropping $40 on a tub: https://bodynutrition.com/samples/
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Creatine has been associated with prostate cancer. I saw it on Medscape. And excess large protein molecules have to excreted by your kidneys. Please love your kidneys. Why not just have fish and chicken and yogurt and nuts and beans and whole grains?
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    My fav is the body logix brand. $25.89 at meijer for a huge tub...115 cals for 26g of protein in the vanilla bean flavor. Its the best tasting protein powder i have found.
  • Trump2016
    Trump2016 Posts: 80 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    excess large protein molecules have to excreted by your kidneys. Please love your kidneys. Why not just have fish and chicken and yogurt and nuts and beans and whole grains?

"Excess protein has to x through y"
    "Please love your y"
    "Why not favour fish and chicken as protein sources over whey as a protein source?"

That fairly sums up what you said, which makes no sense. You tried to make a case for avoiding whey while only appealing to excessive protein, while the alternatives you suggested can be excessive too. What's wrong with whey as a source? You gave literally no reason.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Why does every thread turn into a bunch of people who think they're lawyers lol can people just recommend their favorite protein powders as asked? :/
  • Trump2016
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »
    Why does every thread turn into a bunch of people who think they're lawyers lol can people just recommend their favorite protein powders as asked? :/

Because it should be met with resistance when people try to impose their personal preferences on a lifestyle related forum when there's no real reason for it.

Because people are committing to finding what best works for their lifestyle and unfair criticism of something they want (that might end up working for them!) might stop them from investing.

Because misinformation is all over the nutrition industry and unfairly linking a product to a health problem should be discouraged.

If you want a community that has a higher probability of improving, that starts with leading them toward making good choices, not moving them away from good choices. Right? :)

---
    Another vote for ON Whey Gold Standard. Extreme Milk Chocolate is amazing.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    cbelc2 wrote: »
    Creatine has been associated with prostate cancer. I saw it on Medscape. And excess large protein molecules have to excreted by your kidneys. Please love your kidneys. Why not just have fish and chicken and yogurt and nuts and beans and whole grains?

1) I don't believe creatine was the original topic and I don't recall the OP asking anything about it. Protein powders are what is being discussed here, creatine never even entered into the conversation.

2) Instead of fearmongering, here's a great resource for you which contains exhaustive links to creatine studies (none of which show any link whatsoever to prostate cancer): https://examine.com/supplements/creatine/

In fact, in their FAQ they have the following answer to the question "Can creatine cause cancer?":

"No, there are no scientific studies that link Creatine as a causative factor in any form of cancer, any claims that link Creatine to cancer are currently not validated by any evidence.

As to the OP, I'm also a fan of Trutein. I like the protein profile and the flavors are delicious. They also disclose their ratios/ingredients rather than hiding them in a "proprietary blend".
  • RedBeardBruce
    RedBeardBruce Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My favorite are the Quest Nutrition powders.

Low cal, at around 100 cals / serving with 20 grm protein.

Best of all, they are great tasting. The best I've had.
  • Trump2016
    Options
    My favorite are the Quest Nutrition powders.

Low cal, at around 100 cals / serving with 20 grm protein.

Best of all, they are great tasting. The best I've had.

I wish! They're pretty much all above 170. The lowest ones are the Cinnamon ones I think.

Though this topic's about powders, I totally share the enthusiasm for them. I love the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ones. They recently went from 190 to 210 cals - sort of confused about what led to that.
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Body fortress chocolate whey
  • AlexaAdkins
    AlexaAdkins Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So far the best I've tried is IdealLean protein. It's specifically for women, 0g carbs 20g of protein and only 80 calories. Minimal fillers
  • MoonLove87
    MoonLove87 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Nectar. It's my favorite. I love the Crystal Sky flavor!