Appetite Suppressant Help Please

Hi y'all. I am on a low calorie diet that is prescribed and monitored by my doctor and I am having an issue with appetite control. I drink almost a gallon of water a day and eat filling foods but that does not help curb it.

I need a recommendation for a good appetite suppressant that is not some gimmick or TV fad (ie Dr. Oz, Oprah, or some other celeb endorsed product).

Sounds easy enough except that I need one that is 100% stimulant free due to other medications I am taking. At this time my doc only has recommendations for those which are stimulants. I even asked the pharmacist and they had no recommendations either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Replies

• Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Celery, brocolli, etc? They don't do anything for hunger except fill you up but they're seriously low calorie. Maybe add a few stalks/pieces a day when you feel hungry between meals. Also if you're not already, focus on protien and fiber. It'll keep you full longer. Also I've heard cinnamon regulates blood sugar which theoretically could cut down on cravings and hunger. Try to sprinkle it in some of your foods. Like high protein steel cut oats.

Just a random mish-mash of ideas. Hope at least one helps.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Unfortunately you're walking a fine line and may not find such a thing. Without a stimulant, your options are OTC supplements that Are usually full of crap claims.

Your best bet is to play around with meal timing and keep up your good habits, like drinking water. Find very low cal snacks to tide you over if you need them.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Don't mess around with that stuff, it's not worth it. Your going to be hungry it's your body adjusting to the change. I agree with the above posters, find some low calorie snacks to fill you up. Find something else to kee you mind off food, go for a walk, do an exercise video. Those appetite suppressants are not safe and sometimes can mess with your heart.
  • jmackey1980
    jmackey1980 Posts: 29 Member
    Rightly or wrongly, I get through those days on a combination of trying to keep busy, coffee and sucking it up. Going to bed earlier seems to help too.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Foods with high protein and fiber content generally help me feel fuller longer. Perhaps do some experimenting with different foods so you can find those with the greatest satiety.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    Hi y'all. I am on a low calorie diet that is prescribed and monitored by my doctor and I am having an issue with appetite control. I drink almost a gallon of water a day and eat filling foods but that does not help curb it.

I need a recommendation for a good appetite suppressant that is not some gimmick or TV fad (ie Dr. Oz, Oprah, or some other celeb endorsed product).

Sounds easy enough except that I need one that is 100% stimulant free due to other medications I am taking. At this time my doc only has recommendations for those which are stimulants. I even asked the pharmacist and they had no recommendations either.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Would you please change your diary Sharing settings to Public? We may have some ideas for filling foods or other dietary tweaks that you have not yet considered. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • Expatmommy79
    Expatmommy79 Posts: 940 Member
    Psyllium husks in a glass of water might do the trick.

Glucomannan is also an appetite suppressant without stimulant.

Both are as effective as broccoli in that they are just fiber.

• Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Question: what do you think will happen after you stop taking the appetite suppressant? If you can't learn to eat with one, why do you think, once you get down to your goal weight, something will be different?
  • jsuh1993
    jsuh1993 Posts: 28 Member
    Coffee and caffeine!

There is no TRUE suppressant. Everything else is marginal and getting low stress is best bet.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited February 2016
    My first thought is a good run in the morning.

Good tip with the Glucomannan above. You can find it in the diet supplement aisle as PGX. http://www.pgx.com/ca-en/about-pgx-supplements/

Take several capsules with a couple cups water about twenty minutes before you eat. PGX is a fiber pill.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,489 Member

Would say these too. Just wondering why the doc would prescribe a stimulant pill when he SHOULD know what you're taking for medication?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Well how about zoats ( zucchini with oatmeal) I hear that can keep ya full. I found for me if I don't get enough protein / fats I'll be hungry. I found two eggs in morn or just yolks could keep me pretty full even four and a piece of bacon could keep me full all day long.

Avacado and tomato salad ( make it low cal by using a half avacado or half the half)

Olive oil with Kalamata olives and feta

Keto coffee ( coffee with coconut oil)

Carrots or celery ( bc you have to chew a lot your hunger goes away pretty quick)

A yogurt ( for low cal use Chobani tubes or danonino yogurts like 60 cal

A cheese stick wrapped in lunch meat

Nuts/ seeds

Berries drizzled with olive oil.

A banana and half cup blueberries

Those are the best tricks I know. Try also thoroughly chewing food when you notice you are no longer hunger but satisfied stop eating. And make sure you are hydrated. Dehydration can signal hunger.

• BettyBoles
    BettyBoles Posts: 68 Member
    edited February 2016
    The high protein and fiber rich food make you feel fuller for long time and good for loosing weight.
    Avacado, potatoes, yogurt, banana,eggs etc.
    Regenon is a nice appetite suppressant diet pills that you can try.
  • runningalice
    runningalice Posts: 71 Member
    I may be crazy but when i get hunger pains, i go do some excerise! I eat about half the amount of my meal because i am just not hungry anymore :)
  • alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Caffeine.
    Protein.
    Fiber.

Celery sticks, baby carrots, protein powder.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    How low is low and why? If you eat too little, you are going to be hungry. If you feel that you need an appetite suppressant, the diet isn't working very well for you. Talk to your doctor about it.
    Are you sure you are hungry, and not craving?
    Filling is individual. Experiment with different macro splits (fat, fiber and protein are the good guys here).
    Make sure that the food you eat, is food you actually enjoy.
    Experiment with meal sizes and timing.
    Get enough sleep, rest, you-time and exercise, without overdoing it.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »

Would say these too. Just wondering why the doc would prescribe a stimulant pill when he SHOULD know what you're taking for medication?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I was wondering this myself.
  • rachelt1004
    rachelt1004 Posts: 1 Member
    I have found drinking warm tea with apple cider vinegar in it filling... I eat way less. I lost 10 lbs in 4 weeks without even trying.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    I have found lower carb heavy meals help my appetite be smaller, more filling, and sated longer. Do you have pre-diabetes? This can also a factor.
  • chunky_pinup
    chunky_pinup Posts: 758 Member
    If your doctor put you on a specific diet, then suggested a suppressant that would cause an issue with your current meds, my first thought would be to find a new doctor, because they obviously aren't giving your health proper care. Are you sure you cannot take what they recommended? It's hard to comprehend a doctor that would recommend something that could be negative interference with a prescribed medication...