Protein, ugh!

Options
So I have been told my whole life you don't eat enough protein! I was a vegetarian for a few years and I always made sure I got my protein. When I started eating meat again I did not eat much at all. Now I'm here, which is great, and I did not think I ate much protien since I normally only have meat once a day anyway, but all the little protien adds up I guess. Doesn't matter what I do, I'm over on protien! Help? My husband still would love to eat meat every now and then. . . steamed veggies get old to him. .

Replies

• Spreadborough
    Options
    In my opinion the protein goal on MFP is low. This is debatable, you will get all sorts of opinions. I adjusted my goals to 40/30/30 (Carb/Protein/Fat). I am trying to get more protein after starting MFP, and am feeling better doing so.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about being over on your MFP protein - it is set verrryyy low. Personally I try to eat about double the amount of protein that MFP suggests.....protein is good for your bones and muscles, and frankly as long as you eat healthy calorie controlled meals I do not believe the protein will make you fat, or stop you from losing weight.... Quite the opposite actually - quite a few people here have seen once they up tier protein the see better results.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat 75-100 grams of protein a day. As others have said it is set too low here. Just change it in your setting.
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've been on a higher protein plan. I was 50/30/20 P/C/F. Last week I changed it to 45/35/20 P/C/F. My body has reacted well to the 50/30/20. What worked for me might not work someone else though. I have no problem basing my diet off of salmon, tuna, chicken, broccoli, oatmeal, spinach, carrots, and protein shakes. Occasional cheat meal cause I can. Like yesterday I had take out Chinese. It was so good.

I would suggest changing your macros to a diet that fits you.
  • Spreadborough
    Options
    You can customize your goals, by clicking on Goals in My Home, and chose Change Goals - Custom option. MFP default for protein is 15%.

Recommendations range from 10% to 35% on this for the average person, so MFP is towards the low end. Body builders often go much higher. I think their 2500 on sodium is high for many people. You can use the guided setting first, and then go in to custom to tweak to your needs / desires.
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Well since you guys are crazy helpful i have 1200 calorie goal, i want to lose weight and ton/build muscle. . . how much should be protein?!?
  • wsheaf82
    wsheaf82 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've only been working on the losing weight part. From what I have read, it's more of a pick one or the other. Lose weight or build muscle. You need your calorie intake to be at a deficit to lose but you need your calorie intake to be above your maintenance level to build muscle. You might get newbie gains in muscle at first but the best you can hope for while losing is to not lose the muscle you already have while in a deficit.

But I am no expert. Just what my current knowledge is telling me.
  • Spreadborough
    Options
    Sunshine,

You've got to figure out what works for you. I'm not a physician or nutritionist, but in the research I've done, I found doubling the protein goal from MFP set 15% to a 30% goal is a good option for me.

My current plan is to lose weight, while not losing muscle. Once I get closer to my goal weight, I'll work more on building muscle. I just don't want to lose muscle, and I want to keep toned as best I can for now.

The issue will be if you increase protein as a portion of your calories, you've got to decrease something else (i.e. carbs). Find what works for you and a diet you can maintain and adjust the goals from there.

Carbs / Protein / Fat have to add up to 100%, and 40/30/30 is a good balance for a diet I can maintain. As they say, your mileage may vary.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    you're fine! it's set low here
  • DianaPowerUp
    DianaPowerUp Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    According to the different sources I've read, you should be eating about 1 gm of protein for each lb. of lean body weight. For most women, that's about 100 gm of protein/day. I always aim for at least 100, and if I go over, great. No big deal. But it really helps you keep and build muscle, which will make you look leaner, and burn more throughout the day.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    In The New Rules of Lifting for Women Lou Schuler suggests 2g of protein per 1 kg (2.2lb) of bodyweight (for the average woman roughly 30% of your daily calories)..
  • GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!